CoronaVirus & The Gym?

kda082

WKR
Local gym is also closed here Zap, Genesis. Ironically, just exited a cruise ship that was turned away from original port and routed to Miami. Gym on board was wide open. Seems to be a rush on fitness equipment at Walmart and Academy but did find some light dumbbells to go with my bench and barbell. Will have to get creative for legs.

LostArra

WKR
When I made the modest investment in a garage gym rack the effect on my training was immediate but I had no idea it would eventually pay off in this way.

Randle

WKR
The gyms are empty , too many people out lifting bundles of tp, bottle water , 50lbs of rice , and 55 gals drum of hand sanitizer. Who needs a gym ?

*zap*

WKR
Local gym is also closed here Zap, Genesis. Ironically, just exited a cruise ship that was turned away from original port and routed to Miami. Gym on board was wide open. Seems to be a rush on fitness equipment at Walmart and Academy but did find some light dumbbells to go with my bench and barbell. Will have to get creative for legs.

Bulgarian split squats.....lunges..... box step ups/downs (actually step on the box with both feet and rotate stepping all 4 directions down)......load a frame and do high rep squats....seated calf raises with a plate or two on top of your knees and a 4x4 under the ball of your foot.....overhead squat with light weight. Bulgarian split squats are a challenging exercise, start with both feet on ground and after you get the hang of it back foot goes on top of a bench, hinge @ hips and front knee should not go forward thru the range of motion. Excellent exercise for knee/hip strength and balance.

Customer of mine gave me an olympic bar, e-z curl bar and some plates to use for now. Thinking of using two of my gorilla ladders for a rack. If it works I will put up a picture. I need to go and get a yoga pad and would like to find a reasonably priced pull up/dip stand alone set up.

not ideal, but I have a bench and barbell and can take the barbell out of the bench in a good morning. wouldnt do a 1rm cuz its along walkout, and I don't have enough weights. did snatch grip high pulls and kettlebell clean and lunge, goblet squats etc. Doubt I'll improve but trying to keep my baseline during this.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Welp, all the guys around here have closed. Home workouts here I come. Ugh......

Outlaw99

WKR
If you have a treadmill and a pull up bar, give the “Murph” a go at home 2-3 times a week. I’ve found it to be a pretty good gauge of overall fitness and a way to maintain

Poser

WKR
Doing what I can with what I have. Temporary upside? With all ski lifts shut down, 100% of my snowboarding will be backcountry for the rest of the season, so, my conditioning will be through the roof. While my approach for the last few years has been get strong AF in the gym training basic barbell lifts and get in shape for whatever sport is in season by doing that sport, I’m throwing all resemblance of training (systematic increase with purpose and outcome) out the window during this shutdown and just going to do lots of exercise for the sack of doing hard work and sanity. I do hope to be able to do a shit ton of chin ups at the end of this, but again, non systematic approach using logical progression. Just going to do a shit ton of them every day

920732af419b1c966c323a8b47aa90c9.jpg

jmez

WKR
Love the disclaimer. Since we originally published the article, more strict social distance measures are recommend. Then the article about no increased chance to get it at the gym.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
3 scenarios IMO:

1) high-risk group I wouldn't go.
2) not in a high-risk group but you have contact with high-risk population I wouldn't go. COVID-19 average incubation period is 5.1 days with 97.5% showing symptoms by 11.5 days. Not interested in spreading COVID-19 and/or influenza to those who are weak and at risk for severe complications up to and including death. Data in the USA thus far, sample size is small but is reflective of data in China/Italy, the elderly are getting hit hard. 40s: 1. 50s: 2. 60s: 7. 70s: 9. 80s: 13. 90s: 10.
3) not in high-risk group and no contact with high-risk populations okay to go. Realistic group but hard to say never in contact with high-risk group in general. I'm sure some fit this profile.

I'm in scenario #2 and have contact with high-risk groups. My effort to help protect those who can't protect themselves I won't go. My dad has CAD and my mom DM. Both are older and with their comorbid conditions they are high-risk for complications. My family is staying away from them.

Cold/Flu/Influenza: wash hands, DON'T touch your face (eyes, nose, mouth). Do your best to stay out of the respiratory droplet transmission zone of others. Self isolate if needed.
This. ^^^

I simply don't understand how some people can be so selfish. This virus may not be about them, but it's definitely endangering older folks. The more non-essential movement in society, the better.

Broomd

WKR
Grabbed this from another forum:
A friend has corona virus disease right now. He is a 52 year old former Marine. He is a very tough and fit man.
He said it is like having the worst flu of his life multiplied times ten worse. The major problem is extreme difficulty breathing.

He said the ER did the first test which came back negative and told him he just had allergies and sent him home. Two days later he was worse, so he called a doctor friend involved in infectious disease work. That doctor jammed the test swab way down the back of his throat to the point of gagging - it was a big deal and no one is going to be doing it to themselves if done correctly according to him. That test came back positive, but by then he had exposed his wife and kids.
He also mentioned he lost all sense of smell and taste for several days.

Bottom line - this is not just the flu.

Please take this seriously. Stay home. It is a time to catch up on reloading, reading, or other to do items.
ps - he thinks he caught it riding on a plane ride.

Gyms in Anchorage were closed for a few months and my health and fitness suffered as a result. I went on the last day before closing and the first day of reopening without the least bit of concern about covid 19.

TSimons9

FNG
AZ Governor just extended the gym closure. Really put a damper on my motivation. With no re-opening in sight i guess its time to break out the running shoes again.

msarANG

FNG
i'm using bottles of water for lateral side raises, pushups, air squats and running 10 miles every other day. good way to maintain physique.

bozeman

WKR
home gym...….after 3 years of CrossFit I finally have my own spreadsheet which randomly generates my HIIT workouts..........Mon/Thurs benchpress & deadlift, Tue/Fri squat/pull-ups and C&C (curls and cleans).

Our lovely governor put in place a face mask mandate while indoors. My gym put up notices that you had to wear them even when training! I told them I wouldn't be back until it was lifted. I have a hard enough time catching my breath without one on my HIIT workouts.

I did let them know that I don't blame them for the situation.