Cost breakdown of getting into archery

Been using a crossbow for the last three or four years. I know…..I know that makes me a horrible person but I have been looking heavily into getting a normal bow. If I budget 500- $700 for a bow what do y’all think would be the ballpark amount I would need by the time you add in all the additional items you truly need to hunt.

Grumman

WKR
I’d say about that amount again if you get higher end accessories and arrows. You can definitely go cheaper though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4fletch

Lil-Rokslider
Been using a crossbow for the last three or four years. I know…..I know that makes me a horrible person but I have been looking heavily into getting a normal bow. If I budget 500- $700 for a bow what do y’all think would be the ballpark amount I would need by the time you add in all the additional items you truly need to hunt.
You can get everything you need out the door at that budget. Either used higher end stuff or a ready to hunt package. I just sold a buddy a CT5 with a single pin adjustable, drop away, 06 stabilizer for $300. If you know any guys who are into archery ask around. I would rather see a friend using a better bow or any bow than have one become obsolete sitting on my wall. Every two years or so a lot of guys switch out. I know I am guilty of wanting the next new bow with the new go fast specs.
Ready to hunt and grow with you bows today are pretty good as well.

TBHasler

WKR
Careful, this rat hole has no bottom! Make the switch or add bows to your cross bow hunting and you’ll likely love it and all the experiences that come along with it - IF you make them happen.
Do this and The money won’t honestly matter

OP
Glockster26
I know enough about bows to know I don’t know shit. So I am just wanting a fairly basic setup, but I said that about reloading to and that is a whole other rabbit hole I went down there.

Rob5589

WKR
I would check out any of the large archery suppliers to see your options. A quiver can be 30 bucks or 130. Same with sights, stabilizers, etc. I'd say 300 can get your bow set up. Of course you could always spend more. Oh, and don't rule out used.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
By a good release and a target and shoot the crap out of it and once you start you can’t put a monetary value you on it or at least tell your significant other that 😁. High end things are nice but the rth bows have everything on them you actually need them you can slowly upgrade as you find things that you would like to change. Good luck with the adventure.

LostArra

WKR
I spent $165 on a new 2015 bow with sight, quiver and rest on Archery Talk classifieds from a guy that won it in a raffle. $100 on Camofire arrows, fixed blade broadheads and release. I gave the whole package to my son inlaw who was wanting to hunt with me. He's killed 5 deer in two seasons. I need to buy him a field dressing knife.

For $500 you can have a pretty nice set up. Takes some looking but it can be done. Camofire sells arrows for 65ish. Rests, sites and other accessories for cheap. Used bows are cheap too.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, if you are willing to spend $500-700, I would recommend a new bow over used any day. Today’s lower end bows are crazy good compared to 5 years ago even. Go shoot a couple different ones at an archery shop. You can get a Hoyt torrex all set up for around $700 I believe. I have the older version of that bow (Hoyt powermax) and I am confident on killing deer out to 65 yards. Haven’t felt the need to upgrade any of the accessories that came on the bow. But I’m a very simple kind of guy haha. You just have to practice a lot no matter how expensive your bow is.

Get what fits your budget. As many have said if you start watching forums and Facebook, a lot of last years bows will be up for sale for a steal as the new models come out.

I bought a new Hoyt Ventum 30. I have about 2-3 times your budget after it was all set up into it. But…. I will say I plan on owning this bow for many years. I had a Hoyt Sierra Tech I bought back in 2005 that I had been hunting with for 16 years. I plan on getting that kind of life out of this Ventum.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm LH and have a long draw length which limits my options significantly, both used and new. But I just bought another bow earlier this year identical to one I already have for $200. It's like new. It's a 2006 Bowtech, but it's not that much slower than my newer PSE and is a great bow.

You could easily put together a setup for under $500 even with premium gear if you buy used. The key though is knowing what to look for or what to stay away from.

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
This season I went at things differently than I usually do. Usually its a flagship bow with top of the line accessories. Well this year I spent 300 bucks on a Bear Species, a used 3 pin sight, and a whisker biscuit I already had. Spent the money saved on gas and time off. I love the little bow as much as any other I've owned and definitely enjoyed the time off and in the woods. I tagged out on bucks in Georgia on October 10th and killed a doe last weekend. All with the same little 300 dollar bow. Just something to think about. Good luck brother. Its a great hobby and passion to have!

20211011_190850.jpg

20211009_185049.jpgIMG_20211022_175118_225.jpg

Keep an open mind to brands and carry cash and be ready to buy when you find the deal. Go get measured for your draw length and then keep an eye on Facebook groups, Craigslist and forums. And see if there are any local sportsman swap meets. I bought a prime bow ready to go with a dozen arrows from a guy that was having shoulder surgery and his wife was making him sell his bow before he could get a cross bow

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
You can get by with what you have for sure. I wouldn't shy away from used. Just know what to look for (limbs, strings and cables, cams, etc). There are quite a few different levels you can get to. I bought a bow press, built a draw board, in the market for a bow vise, buying shafts and assembling my own arrows. I too reload and feel like I havent gotten that deep, although I definitely have more in reloading than archery. It's a fun hobby, I havent touched anything but my carry pistol all summer because of it.