Cost per application

Its application season, my first. I thought it may be insightful to see how much people spend on applications/points and how often they hope to hunt what species. Of course the more you hunt the more you can spend, but applications don't have to break the bank either.

I have applied for elk, deer and antelope in one state and elk in another. These have all been points only as I am planning on my first hunt next year. This has averaged to $45/ point. Hopefully I will be able to go on one western hunt every other year and I think I will have some good options to use these points on a regular basis.

What does your point/application budget look like?

I do elk, deer and antelope in CO and WY. It's a little over $250 I think. I hunted MT last year with a point but don't know if I'll go back any time soon. CO and WY will keep me busy for a little bit.

Wyoming antelope and mule deer, building points looks like they are going to be needed.

* NM alone cost $6866. Likely will get it all back as the hunting gods are frowning on me and won't let me draw anything in that state.
* AZ is what it is; mostly bonus points as the hunting gods are seriously frowning on me and won't let me draw anything other than Coues deer. Thankfully there's OTC bear and mountain lion.
* Need to buy points for CO.

Then there are any impulse hunts that may arise either OTC or land owner tags, auctions, raffles, cancellation hunts, etc.

OP
H
I do elk, deer and antelope in CO and WY. It's a little over $250 I think. I hunted MT last year with a point but don't know if I'll go back any time soon. CO and WY will keep me busy for a little bit.
That seems pretty reasonable and enough to keep you busy for a while.

OP
H
* NM alone cost $6866. Likely will get it all back as the hunting gods are frowning on me and won't let me draw anything in that state.
* AZ is what it is; mostly bonus points as the hunting gods are seriously frowning on me and won't let me draw anything other than Coues deer. Thankfully there's OTC bear and mountain lion.
* Need to buy points for CO.

Then there are any impulse hunts that may arise either OTC or land owner tags, auctions, raffles, cancellation hunts, etc.
Those upfront licence fees are rough but those numbers wont look nearly as bad after the draw and refunds, unless you get every tag! Do you know what the non refundable amount is just to make you feel better?

Fitzwho

WKR
Non refundable in NM is $13 per species and the license cost. For me this year it will only be a little over $100 (license and 3 species). I normally draw at least some sort of tag in NM. So worst case end up with a deer tag not too far from the house (hopefully).

Overall I usually spend about $1100 in points/apps/non refundable licenses every year. And try to spend about that on tags as well, unless I draw something really cool (which hasn’t happened yet).