cost, shipping meat via AK Air Cargo or other?

mooster

WKR
Trying to determine the best approach for bringing meat back from FAI to the lower 48 later this year.
Last year I used AK Trophy Express at a cost of $950 for the truck and $150 for the local storage, so $1100.
For 632 lbs, that computed to a total cost $1.74/lb.

What other solutions have you used and what was the cost?

Last edited:
I’m also looking for Kansas City International airport. I flew a 99lbs fish box back for $100 with Alaskan air.. 100lbs or over has to go air cargo. What area you need it going to might help.

Alaskan airlines flys to KC international so I’m looking at being a known shipper through them.

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
I’m also looking for Kansas City International airport. I flew a 99lbs fish box back for $100 with Alaskan air.. 100lbs or over has to go air cargo. What area you need it going to might help.

Alaskan airlines flys to KC international so I’m looking at being a known shipper through them.
I was hoping for some cost data from AK Airlines so I can determine if its worth becoming a known shipper. I'm sure I can achieve status via our business shipping docks, but don't want to bother if there's no real savings..

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Might be a good idea to speak with Alaska Air Cargo directly as well as get good ideas from members here. In these current times, some things are moving and changing daily/weekly to adjust to business demands and challenges. I know Alaska Airlines keeps offering comparatively really cheap deals on passenger flights...haven't seen prices like these in thirty-years.

I offer the following just as a comparative example, realizing that many here are nonresidents. For Alaska residents and intrastate travel, Alaska Airlines offers a Club-49 program with benefits that include: a shipping flat-rate of $10 for up to 100lbs of air cargo if dropped off within 24-hrs of passenger arrival or departure on an intrastate Alaska Airlines flight, and a flat rate of $40 for up to 100lbs of air cargo shipped anytime within state. I've used this benefit several times flying to/from Ketchikan for POW Island black-tail hunts, as well as Kodiak for mountain goat and black-tail.

Regardless, you will need to be a known shipper with Alaska Air-cargo or a Club-49 member. A few years ago I shipped a hundred pounds of moose meat to a previous hunting partner that moved out of state...don't recall the price, but it was seamless and arrived frozen.

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
Might be a good idea to speak with Alaska Air Cargo directly as well as get good ideas from members here. In these current times, some things are moving and changing daily/weekly to adjust to business demands and challenges. I know Alaska Airlines keeps offering comparatively really cheap deals on passenger flights...haven't seen prices like these in thirty-years.

I offer the following just as a comparative example, realizing that many here are nonresidents. For Alaska residents and intrastate travel, Alaska Airlines offers a Club-49 program with benefits that include: a shipping flat-rate of $10 for up to 100lbs of air cargo if dropped off within 24-hrs of passenger arrival or departure on an intrastate Alaska Airlines flight, and a flat rate of $40 for up to 100lbs of air cargo shipped anytime within state. I've used this benefit several times flying to/from Ketchikan for POW Island black-tail hunts, as well as Kodiak for mountain goat and black-tail.

Regardless, you will need to be a known shipper with Alaska Air-cargo or a Club-49 member. A few years ago I shipped a hundred pounds of moose meat to a previous hunting partner that moved out of state...don't recall the price, but it was seamless and arrived frozen.
Thanks I’ll sign up and explore the quotes. I do have the AKAir card and flights.

HoytHntr4

WKR
I've read good things about Nick Ploesser who owns Ak trophy expediters. He is on here but I'm not sure of his username, his website also has some good info on his services. I believe he's a "known shipper" with AKAir and might be able to ship it to you cheaper if you live near one of Alaskan Air's cargo terminals

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks I’ll sign up and explore the quotes. I do have the AKAir card and flights.
Best of luck forward with this...keep in mind that the Club-49 example I shared is just for residents shipping intrastate (i.e., from and to within state). I shared the example as a reference when talking with Alaska Air Cargo to see if there is anything approximately similar for a nonresident flying passenger on Alaska Airlines to/from out of state and wanting to ship Alaska Air Cargo concurrently.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
I looked into this a lot before our trip and decided the savings wasn't worth the hassle to me. I'd rather try to save somewhere else personally. When I checked with Alaska air it ended up being around $1 per pound plus the antlers and the cost of boxes, etc. There are size restrictions as well on the antlers. I personally liked being able to come home and not have to immediately deal with all the meat processing right away.

Here is part of an email from our outfitter in Bethel....
*****************************************************************************************************
"ALASKA TROPHY EXPRESS: The company is based in Wisconsin. In early October (Around Oct. 1 or 2), they drive a refrigeration truck from Anchorage to the lower 48. They will carry all of your moose meat, hides, and antlers to a pick-up spot along their route. They will notify you where they will be and when. Where they stop is dependent on the amount of customers in the area.

To use this service, you must go online to: www.alaskatrophyexpress.com. and register. The registration fee is $150, is non-refundable, and is a down payment on your haul fee. You will send your moose via Everts Air Cargo in Bethel to Everts Air Cargo in Anchorage. Dalton Refrigeration in Anchorage will pick your moose up at Everts and store it in their freezer until Alaska Trophy Express picks it up for the trip to the lower 48. Dalton Refrigeration will charge you for pick-up (approximately $150) and for storage at their facility (approximately $200 – no matter how many days). The charge for your entire moose (meat, unsplit antlers, & cape) will be around $950.

Please note: The prices quoted above are for 2020 services. Those prices could change.

Your moose antlers must be wrapped before shipment from Bethel to Everts Air Cargo in Anchorage. The representative from the Wildlife Gallery can wrap them for you for shipment. Each moose antler will cost $150 for wrapping.

In addition, it is not unusual for the moose shot by your party to go to Anchorage in separate shipments. What this means to you is that Dalton will charge $150 for each trip to pick up moose at Everts Air Cargo. This cannot be avoided by us – we simply don’t have the storage space to hold onto the moose until all have arrived.

NOTE: PLEASE NOTE – WE ARE NOT AFFILIATED WITH ALASKA SAUSAGE CO., BILL HOWELL, OR ALASKA TROPHY EXPRESS."

******************************************************************************************************

If I am reading and adding correctly
Wildlife Gallery(antler wrap) $150
Everts $150
Dalton $200
Alaskatrophyexpress $950

Total $1450

versus checked baggage (taking about 300# meat home - donating rest) was going to ship up my own antler packing materials with the totes ahead - 3-7 days before.
3 - 100# totes $300
1 - antler $100

Total $400

Alaska Air Cargo Price estimate
https://www.alaskacargo.com/shipping/rates

Check to see the closest Alaska Air Cargo airport terminal to you

To become a known shipper, you have to fill out Known shipper application.

A TSA agent will come verify your address and ask you questions, - what you plan on shipping and where you plan on shipping to and from. They will call you and tell you how much is will cost for the closest TSA agent to come to the address. It can be expensive. Mine was $222 for a 1 hour drive to my place.

If you split the costs with another hunting partner it can become more cost effective.

If you become a known shipper, you can potentially save some money by shipping totes stacked together (with antler packing materials inside) to your outfitter.....then use those totes to bring you meat (100#) as checked bags on Alaska Airline or depending on your location, a little more on Alaska Air Cargo. Note that you declare what is in your totes (frozen meat) Alaska Air Cargo will keep it frozen at there locations between flights and after it arrives. You have up to 48 hours typically to pick it up or they charge your a nominal fee to keep it stored till you can pick it up.

Best thing to do is call Alaska Air Cargo and ask a customer service person your questions. They are very helpful.

Last edited:

Voyageur

WKR
I've read good things about Nick Ploesser who owns Ak trophy expediters. He is on here but I'm not sure of his username, his website also has some good info on his services. I believe he's a "known shipper" with AKAir and might be able to ship it to you cheaper if you live near one of Alaskan Air's cargo terminals
I used Nick's services in 2019 and will use him again this fall. His thorough knowledge of the different shipping options keeps things as simple as possible for you. On top of that, in my opinion, his services are very affordable.

In October 2020 I shipped 380 lbs of moose meat to my buddy using AK air Cargo and the cost was right at $1 per lb.
I used moving boxes from Home Depot and lined them with 1” styrofoam insulation and a contractor bag. Had box weights just under 100 lbs per box. Worked slick and he had his moose meat the same day.
Delta meats let me use their known shipper number since they processed the meat for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mooster

mooster

WKR
In October 2020 I shipped 380 lbs of moose meat to my buddy using AK air Cargo and the cost was right at $1 per lb.
I used moving boxes from Home Depot and lined them with 1” styrofoam insulation and a contractor bag. Had box weights just under 100 lbs per box. Worked slick and he had his moose meat the same day.
Delta meats let me use their known shipper number since they processed the meat for him.

Thanks good info

SliverShooter

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks, that is good to know.
Can you provide us the contact information for Delta Meats? I would like to arrange for meat processing before my hunt this fall.

Thanks, that is good to know.
Can you provide us the contact information for Delta Meats? I would like to arrange for meat processing before my hunt this fall.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
You're on it guy...well done. I'm sure you're also on it asking if AK Air Cargo offers any kind of a discount for interstate shipping if you're flying passenger on AK Air to the same interstate destination within 24-hrs of the cargo drop-off for shipping.

I'm sure you will like shipping with AK Air Cargo...the meat will go right into a freezer when you drop-off, and right into a freezer at the destination. Be sure to ask if the meat has to be already frozen at drop-off... I think they specify that, but not sure. Also, just an FYI...in the summer/fall our local COSTCO's typically sell flattened bundles of fish boxes...it's a quick assembly with magical duct-tape. Have some contractor bags with you or buy them at the local Lowe's, and you're good to go.

I personally respect your efforts to take home the excellent meat of your hunt, although I certainly understand the added expense for nonresident hunters to do that.

Last edited: