Cost to ship processed mule deer

Anyone shipped processed meat home this season? I’m running a mule deer from Montana to VA and am curious how much it is going to cost to ship home. Doesn’t really matter because I’m going to do it anyway, but just don’t want to be taken by surprise either.

Whatever it Costs is too much! I haven’t eaten a mule deer for almost a decade. Alway donate them. Too much good elk, whitetail, antelope, now moose to eat why waste space on a muley.

dmm08300

Lil-Rokslider
I've shipped before with Priority mail from MT to VA and it was ~$120. Having said that, I did the same with my Bighorn Ewe this year and the USPS lost my package and the package that was supposed to arrive on Sept. 30th showed up October 5th. They say it was delayed due to COVID which is irritating enough since my mortgage company and utilities companies, etc. have still gotten their mail to me on-time. Also there is no guarantee on priority mail they say so it was a rough lesson to learn. After that experience they suggested shipping Express which is a 1-2 day guarantee, however, the shipping cost was like ~$425 when I asked about it after the fact (didn't know it was an option at the time). As stated above, it is cheaper to fly with it. If I had to do it again, I would have mailed my gear home and flown with the meat.

Wapiti1

WKR
Cost wise look at 2nd day air pricing. If they pack it right that is the cheapest route. By pack it right, I mean foam lined boxes with gel packs or dry ice. This is how I get frozen meat and fish shipped to me.

I would figure 50lbs at $100-150 for 2nd day air.

Jeremy

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Well, the processor called me while I had a layover in Denver so flying home with it isn't a option. My hunting buddy is picking it up and getting it shipped to me so it should be good to go quality packing wise. Just curious about costs

If you plan on doing hunt and shipping again. Get you a Polar Bear 48 soft cooler. Wrap meat and freeze it with dry ice. Polar Bear can be carried on and fits perfect in overhead compartment. I flew from MT to Louisiana last year with my muley. No issues.

OP
Shootinsurveyor
Turned out to be 325 for 3 day air and that includes a Coleman cooler. A extra 25 to my buddy for handling it all and I’ll have mule deer this weekend.

Squincher

WKR
I wish you luck, but the last two Next Day Air packages I received through USPS ending up being Next Week Air.

V-TRAIN

WKR
Be cheaper to ship it on the flight with you as an extra bag

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
this is what I did. I got it frozen and stuck it in a KUIU taku bag (rubber bag) and checked it and it was still frozen. that was from Wyoming to NC, cost me like $25-$50, can't remember honestly.