Costco Timber Ridge Expedition Frame Pack - Thoughts?

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
If money is short for a pack then a MOLLE Ruck is where it’s at. Comfortable? It can be if you distribute the load right and change your definition of comfortable.

it can carry a heavy load without fear of breaking though and can be had dirt cheap. I use one to train with and can do 10-15 mile hikes with it loaded no problem.

OP
swavescatter
Money isn't necessarily a factor, though I'm not sure I want to spend more than $400.

Just wondering if anyone with any experience with this specific pack can tell me if it's junk or not. I plan to load it up and test it out soon, though I have no real basis for comparison...

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It has a load shelf and it looks to have some wrap around type thing to hold meat on the bare frame.

That being said for awhile I was picking up all sorts of frames like that to use as meathaulers and they would all bend and break. I finally got a Barney’s frame, I should have done that sooner.

oldhorse

WKR
I have no experience with the Costco pack. From the photos on the website, it looks exactly like the old Cabelas Alaskan 2 pack. I used one of the Alaskan 2 packs for several years as my 'heavy load hauler' and for multi-day backpacking trips. A Badlands 2200 was my daypack. I had no idea that 'High End' packs existed. As far I was concerned, my setup Was High End! The Costco pack will certainly get the job done, but will not be anywhere near as comfortable or durable as the top tier packs(Exo, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Seek Outside, Stone Glacier). It all boils down to how much $ your are willing to spend. Good luck and Happy hunting!

mtnlomo

FNG
Depends on how much you hunt, during high school when I could only hunt weekends because of football, I used that pack and it worked fine for weekends. I even packed out a couple halves of blacktail and mule deer with it. After one year of being able to hunt 30+ days every season, generally in 4-7 day increments I found the pack to be lacking, once you put on a quality pack you will understand the difference.

So I would say if you hunt weekends only, or only one week a year, yes that will do what you need, but if you pack out 4+ animals a year and hunt multiple weeks a year your joints would appreciate a higher quality pack.

If you can afford a higher tier pack in the end it will save you money. My Costco ones, I've had multiple, one in this model, didn't hold up well, 2-3 seasons. A Stone Glacier, Exo, or Seek Outside will last you 5x longer than the Timber Ridge ones, a Kifaru 20x longer.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
it will work and it will work you out....but what meat pack out doesn't ?!!

Had experience with similar looking Cabelas AK frame for packouts, no bag. Frame didn't fit me right, was miserable pack out thru backcountry on no trails...and I was a young 40-something back then.
Did exact same pack out 7 years ago with my Kifaru and several since. Comparative difference was night & day with proper frame fit to torso, but then so was pricing between two frames.
Now at age 63, I can't imagine using that Costco style of frame.

Frame fit to torso is key. See the image of guy with low frame meat shelf below his behind. That will be a tough carry of 80-90 lbs of meat for any substantial distance.

Last edited:

Superdoo

WKR
4.89 lbs for the frame alone. 36" tall.
Looks like it was made for Andre The Giant!

OP
swavescatter
Good info on the fit to look for. The one benefit about Costco is risk-free returns.

BigPun

FNG
I had no idea they even sold a pack, may be a good one to try out and return if it doesn't work out!

If it says Costco on it, without looking, my immediate thoughts say Wuhan like everything else they sell when talking merchandise

OP
swavescatter
Frame fit to torso is key. See the image of guy with low frame meat shelf below his behind. That will be a tough carry of 80-90 lbs of meat for any substantial distance.
This was spot on.

Just to update this thread, I returned this pack to Costco. I'm about 5'11'' and could not adjust the shoulder straps down, nor could I cinch the chest strap tight enough. The waist would snug tight, but the pack would kind of float off my shoulders. My buddy that's about 6'3'' loves his and it fits him great.

Overall the quality was OK. Would work fine for a few seasons. Switched to a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45.