Cot *and* a sleeping pad?

fwafwow

WKR
I'm assembling my packing list for an early season archery hunt in CO (unit still TBD) and am getting concerned about weight. I purchased the Klymit Insulated Static V Luxe (33.7oz with sack) and had planned on buying the Thermarest Ultralite Cot XL (said to weigh 3lbs). I want to stick with the cot for sure, so for those who use a cot, are you using a sleeping pad, and if so, do you back off on the weight and insulation given that you are off of the ground?

ChrisS

WKR
When I have a cot, I use a pad too because a lot of cold air circulates under them.

How far are you walking and are you leaving camp in one place or keeping it on your back? Either way, I wouldn't take the cot more than a few feet past the tailgate of the truck. That stuff gets real heavy real quick.

I use a pad on my cot but don't pack the cot in. It stays at base camp/bed of my truck.

Typically, I use a closed cell foam pad on the cot. If using my air pad, I only inflate it partially so it doesn't want to slip out from under me.

Is your shelter heated? If not you will have cold air circulating below your cot which can rob heat. I use a pad on my cot for truck camping for comfort and warmth. It is great especially if your shelter isn’t heated.

I have seen the backpack cots but haven’t ever been inclined toward them. I Pair my inflatable pad with a closed cell foam pad and sleep very well. I guess if weight weren’t an issue I might give it a try but 3lbs of cot on top of a heavier pad is a lot to carry on my back.

You definitely want to bring a pad. I think the only possible exception to this is if you're expecting really warm weather, but otherwise you will more than likely get cold without a pad. I have a Helinox cot (44 oz.), that I have used in combination with a small Xlite pad (8 oz.), and no two ways about it, I get my best nights sleep with that system. I don't bring it on hunts that I expect to be really difficult, but I have packed it in when I've done short spike camps, like 5 miles or so away from base camp. I'm always looking for ways to reduce my "pack in" wt., but sometimes getting a really good nights sleep is just too good to pass up for the cost of 44 oz.

rayporter

WKR
I need a pad
even with an inflatable

if you are tossing and turning all night and yet don't think you should be cold--it is your pad

OXN939

WKR
Definitely bring a pad. I used a Helinox cot and folding egg carton pad last August on the North Slope and this past winter on the Appalachian Trail. The system worked well in both instances, but is heavy enough that I'd leave the cot if I'm packing into somewhere.

LuxuryLite cot and my Xtherm pad have been wonderful so far. Just not sure I'd hike 10 miles with the combo. But it does give me a great nights sleep.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
You definitely want to bring a pad. I think the only possible exception to this is if you're expecting really warm weather, but otherwise you will more than likely get cold without a pad. I have a Helinox cot (44 oz.), that I have used in combination with a small Xlite pad (8 oz.), and no two ways about it, I get my best nights sleep with that system. I don't bring it on hunts that I expect to be really difficult, but I have packed it in when I've done short spike camps, like 5 miles or so away from base camp. I'm always looking for ways to reduce my "pack in" wt., but sometimes getting a really good nights sleep is just too good to pass up for the cost of 44 oz.

Thanks for all of the replies. We are still working out the details, but it looks like the average low would be close to 40 degrees, and if we have a base camp, we will likely have a stove. I had been pretty skeptical about the cot idea to carry on my back, but my buddy is former military and he said he slept plenty on the ground and would have killed for a cot, and although he's pretty focused on cutting weight at almost all costs (he plans to cut zippers, labels, etc.), he said he would *not* skimp on the cot and thinks the 3lbs is more than worth the weight given the expected sleep benefits. He sleeps very warm, however, and will take the lightest pad he can find.

I like the Xlite recommendation, and while I would probably need the large size (1lb), I would still shave off a pound of weight. Open to other ideas - especially Klymit (since they are less expensive) - and I've looked at the Insulated V Ultralight SL (15.2oz) and V Ultralight SL (11.9oz).

Thanks!

During archery season I doubt u will pack a stove and or cot more then a single day.
Matter a fact I bet u would have a hard time even convincing yourself to pack it back to the truck.
Fyi the sl is on 20" wide.

I'd suggest the Klymit insulated v lite believe its 19.2 and call it good.
Supplement with some ibuprofen pm.
Archery days are long 4.30 am to about 10 PM I doubt you will have a problem sleeping.

elkduds

WKR
You can get the cot weight closer to 2# by leaving out some of the crossbars and feet. I weigh 180 and use 4 sets of feet and crossbars on my LuxuryLite XL. Insulate under your bag w extra clothes and a Z Lite Sol shorty foam pad @ 10 oz. , or whatever insulating layer you have laying around. It only has to insulate, the cot eliminates any need for padding.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
You can get the cot weight closer to 2# by leaving out some of the crossbars and feet. I weigh 180 and use 4 sets of feet and crossbars on my LuxuryLite XL. Insulate under your bag w extra clothes and a Z Lite Sol shorty foam pad @ 10 oz. , or whatever insulating layer you have laying around. It only has to insulate, the cot eliminates any need for padding.

I'm currently hovering around 205, so I will have to experiment to see how many I can cut out without ending up splitting it!

rayporter

WKR
you really need to be testing your system now. cause by summer your will not have low temps.

a good inflatable is pretty darn good. and you can find thin pads or make pads from quarter inch foam that will really make you happy. a four ft butt pad is pretty handy in damp weather and it will do double duty as a pad on your inflatable or cot.

and 2 pieces of gear pack a little easier

Beendare

WKR
I use a thinner thermarest insulated pad on a cot.

My exped on the ground is pretty comfy down to about 15 deg, below that i have to add a waffle mat, which is Max comfort to weight vs a cot.

My buddy had a Klymit pad and he was always cold. I’ll bet if you pair that with one of those waffle mats it would be a pretty good set up.

Jimbob

WKR
Get in some hiking trips now before you head out on a hunt. Lear to backpack at home so that is second nature when you go on your hunt.

A cot is ultra luxury, unless you have sleep issues your pad is all that's needed. Carrying weight sucks. Good luck.

I'd rather have a good pad with no cot than a cot with no pad. I use the luxury lite cot with a half inflated pad for truck camping or if we're not going real far. Last year I brought the cot for archery elk and never even unpacked it.
Not sure on Colorado, but in southern ID we had some pretty cool temps at night during the middle of the season. It was down into the high 20s at our camp the last two years. Personally, I wouldn't lighten my bag/pad even if bringing a cot.
Like others said, test the gear now and see what works. I spent a few nights camped in the back yard to make sure everything would work for me.