Cotton Game bags v.s. Synthetic Bag (TAG)

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
I've already purchased the TAG game bags for a 2021 float trip. I received an email from our transporter/ registered guild last week, stating that synthetic bags like TAGS would spoil the meat and strongly recommended cotton bags. He mentioned TAG by name. This is for a 12-day float Sept 5-17 so It could be warm and the meat could be in bags for 10 days or longer if pickup is delayed.

Also would citric acid or black pepper be worth putting on the meat?

wapitibob

WKR
I use synthetic bags almost exclusively now (caribou and allen). They don't "breath" anywhere close to the older style knit bags like Allen Outfitter bags but compress much smaller and weigh 1/2 or less. That said, I have never had a problem with meat spoiling in the synthetics. The meat gets cooled just the same. Also, meat will stick to my synthetics, bad, as in pull chunks of meat off bad if I let the bloody part dry against the bag.

I thought stenosis synthetic was THE way to go. Hmmm. Post about pulling off chunks of meat is interesting, but wouldn’t that also mean that the bad is in fact letting lots of air through? Otherwise it could never form that crust that you’re looking for.

wapitibob

WKR
Blow air thru one of the older style bags then thru a synthetic, air gets in there but they're not close to the same. Again, I have never had meat go bad in a synthetic.
The bag bonds where it's touching bloody muscle. I now make an effort to pull the filled bags away from the meat several times as I'm working up the animal.

Slugz

WKR
Ill second the large chunks of meat get pulled off if you let the synthetics dry on the meat for an extended amount of time. If Im keeping them on for a while Ill pull them off everyonce in a while to air them out then no issues.
Ive only had it happen on full quarters of elk hanging for longer than 5 days.

I use the synthetics due to them cleaning up better, dont tear, last longer. Ive probably had a little over 10 elk in my quarter bags and 2 moose in quarter bags with who knows how many boned out animals in that set.

Those descibed above were TAG bags.
Hope that helps

tdot

WKR
I'd personally take synthetic game bags over cotton bags 100% of the time. Synthetic will wick the moisture away from the meat and dry better, while Cotton will hold moisture. If the meat will be hanging in the bags for an extended time, I'd prefer to have 2 sets of bags and switch the meat out every couple of days, hand wash and hang dry the dirty bags and maintain that rotation. That will help maintain the wicking properties of the synthetic.

Understand that blowing though indicates more air flow is occurring in cotton bag, but at that same time still don’t understand how it could be clotting in bag material quicker in synthetic if it’s not being exposed to more flow. In the case of trash bag it ziplock it would in fact never stick. Zero flow. Not arguing, just confused.

OP
F

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
WE likely will have meat in bags 10 days before getting to a freezer. If it was a couple I wouldn't' start second guessing it.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We've sold tens of thousands of TAG Bags since 2004. If that transporter has a different preference that's probably his experience driving the recommendation...not a knowledge of which fabric is better. It's not the bags that make meat taste good, it's how it's cared for. I've had meat in TAG Bags for 11 days without issues.

If bags get bloody and old smelling, wash 'em in a river or lake while the meat stays open to air. Takes about 30 min and your bags are like new-ish. You aint doing that with cotton bags...

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
On the meat sticking thang....yes it happens randomly and I wish I had a scientific reason except the right conditions form a scab at the surface with the bag surface in strangely random places. But, it's not hard to prevent it if you catch the spot before you "rip it" off. Peel those sections loose before tearing it off the other meat. I haven't been able to "replicate" the sticking problem so science hasn't revealed itself yet. Probably not the most comprehensive answer but hopefully this helps.

On the meat sticking thang....yes it happens randomly and I wish I had a scientific reason except the right conditions form a scab at the surface with the bag surface in strangely random places. But, it's not hard to prevent it if you catch the spot before you "rip it" off. Peel those sections loose before tearing it off the other meat. I haven't been able to "replicate" the sticking problem so science hasn't revealed itself yet. Probably not the most comprehensive answer but hopefully this helps.
That’s what I don’t get. I’ve never used either. I can’t wrap my head around it. I think by and large it is getting more air than cotton it’s just on a smaller level. Kind a like waders breathing one way or not the other. You can’t tell his breathing but it’s breathing so wind doesn’t affect it but the the moisture in that bag is coming out. It is dryer outside that membrane and that moisture is trying to find a dryer place. Then comes the tendency of a drive piece of synthetic to more quickly make a scab. Because it’s not soaked in blood. I don’t know. The whole scabbing thing makes no sense to me. I know one thing. I’m bringing tag bags

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
FYI, I just got a call from a separate customer unrelated to this thread who claims his Interior "outfitter pilot" warned him specifically about TAG Bags being a bad choice but didn't mention any other synthetic brand being a bad choice. I asked the customer for the name of the outfitter and he didn't want to say so there's no drama for him or the pilot.

I get that 100%. For me to read this post and within 48 hours get a second call stating identical "outfitter concerns" is too coincidental for them not to be related to the same person. There's something none of us know about the source. I wish I had some legitimate point of customer service or advice to either ease your minds or learn from an actual problem with our material...but there seems to be no objectivity with this guy's opinion.

Until I know the "who's behind the comment" I can only say hunters should trust the science behind synthetic material regardless of brand name.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this issue, fellas. Regardless of which bags your meat goes into this year, I hope they get bloody and heavy!

If anyone on this thread missed this presentation about "mitigating bacterial spoilage" this spring, here it is again. This info will help you develop a realistic expectations for meat cooling rates, bag cleaning and use, and much more about meat care than most hunters know.

ColeyG

WKR
It is pretty simple "science."

Synthetic materials dry faster than natural fibers like cotton.

Synthetic materials are easier to clean and maintain than cotton.

Thicker material, like cotton bags, insulate the meat more and keep it warmer than thinner synthetic fabrics.

Synthetic bags take up less room and weight less than cotton bags.

To keep meat at its best in the field you need to get it cool, keep it cool, keep it dry, and keep it clean.

Synthetic bags are superior really in every way.

Julius K

FNG
I have used the tag bags on two moose (both were in them for around 48hrs). Zero issues, I need to get another set for this fall as a butcher ruined my set... another friend of mine he had 8 moose in his bags.

one of my buddies used the koola buck game bags on a smaller Canada moose. They seems ok, but the tag bags give you much greater protection from fly eggs and dirt.

Voyageur

WKR
@Larry Bartlett Thanks for sharing the video. Lots of good info. You somewhat answered this question when discussing removing the proof of sex in order to prevent spoilage, but I'm going to ask anyway to be sure I'm understanding....if a person is hunting in a unit that requires meat be left on the bone until out of the field, and you detect meat souring around the bone, what is the best course of action? Do you remove the bone, but save it? Will you be fined in this scenario?
Thanks.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great question. If you detect bone sour by noting the source around the femur head (ball), dissection and removal of that soured bone is legally more important than removing the bone in a bone-in area. However, your case would depend on as few as 4 factors: 1) which Trooper checked and cited you and for what; 2) How well you documented your meat care issues and mitigation; 3) what shape the meat was in and fully accounted for when checked; and 4) How well you cooperated with the officer in every sense.

Documentation is the critical take-away here. Video is better than still pics.

gelton

WKR
If there is a manufacturer of game bags that has more knowledge than @Larry Bartlett I have yet to see it. He has gone through great pains to show how well his game bags work and many would consider him an expert on the subject.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Saving the spoilage and/or soured bones (although rare) isn't legally required. In my experience the best course of action is to document with video where you left the bones and in what Lat/Long and offer up this information to any LEO who might check you. In the end you're responsible for salvaging all edible meat and ensuring that all edible meat remains fit for human consumption while afield. Everything else meat care related is negotiable.