Cotton Game bags v.s. Synthetic Bag (TAG)

I will say it again. There’s no way for a bag to quickly stick to meat if in fact it is not letting more air through. And my Understanding is that air and a bit of a crust is a good thing. Enough said In my opinion.

bmrfish

WKR
Have been using TAG bags for years from tundra swamp to desert mountain in all kinds of conditions. They have never failed me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndbuck09

WKR
Used Tag bags exclusivly for elk and my one caribou. The bou meat was in the tag bags for 7 days in the field and the meat was perfect through it all. All the Idaho elk have been perfect too, just not out more than 2 days. You'd do yourself a disservice to use cotton bags. Also, the copycat synthetic bags out there now is frustrating because they are all piggybacking off of Larry's efforts to get meat handling info out there, so out of principle I use the original creator's bags.

My expierence has been tag bags are light and easy to compact. But do not breathe any where as good as cotton.

I use both, depending on the circumstances. The hard part on the float hunt, is keeping the meat dry.
The service i used in 2017 for a moose float hunt was not to hip on tag bags. so it is not a new thing.

gelton

WKR
My expierence has been tag bags are light and easy to compact. But do not breathe any where as good as cotton.

I use both, depending on the circumstances. The hard part on the float hunt, is keeping the meat dry.
The service i used in 2017 for a moose float hunt was not to hip on tag bags. so it is not a new thing.
If cotton breathes better than synthetic why isn't it used in performance clothing that is designed to breathe?

Kind of an oxymoron, no?

PMcGee

WKR
WE likely will have meat in bags 10 days before getting to a freezer. If it was a couple I wouldn't' start second guessing it.

We used tag bags in Alaska and had a moose in them for 11 days with no spoilage. We washed them in the creek every couple days as Larry has suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Tag bags all the way. Yes, citric acid and a spray bottle is mandatory at least in my opinion.

I don’t use cotton bags anymore other than to hang the meat in my shop after I get home.

wapitibob

WKR
If cotton breathes better than synthetic why isn't it used in performance clothing that is designed to breathe?

Kind of an oxymoron, no?

Gore-tex fabric breaths too.
It takes 10 seconds to blow thru an Allen Outfitter game bag then a synthetic and feel the difference. I use synthetics but "air circulation" isn't close.

Overdrive

WKR
Saran wrap cheap and easy keeps meat cleaner than any other bag I've witnessed. If you leave the knuckle joint unwrapped it acts like a stove pipe and let's the heat out. That should stir the pot an see the negative comments now.

Alaskan89

Lil-Rokslider
I've already purchased the TAG game bags for a 2021 float trip. I received an email from our transporter/ registered guild last week, stating that synthetic bags like TAGS would spoil the meat and strongly recommended cotton bags. He mentioned TAG by name. This is for a 12-day float Sept 5-17 so It could be warm and the meat could be in bags for 10 days or longer if pickup is delayed.

Also would citric acid or black pepper be worth putting on the meat?
They are full of it, Tag bags are all I have used since moving back to Alaska in 2000 and I have lost zero meat to spoilage. I suggest taking 2 sets, that way you can swap them out while you are out in the field. I have never used citric acid or black pepper but I know Larry has and he swears by it. You can wash the Tag bags in a creek/river and they will dry in no time, which will allow you to keep clean bags on the meat. Larry has a video on proper meat care in the field and it is spot on.

gelton

WKR
Gore-tex fabric breaths too.
It takes 10 seconds to blow thru an Allen Outfitter game bag then a synthetic and feel the difference. I use synthetics but "air circulation" isn't close.
Good point which I expected and is the actual underlying reason why I think synthetic bags are better.

The cotton expands like a honeycomb which does allow airflow but also allows holes big enough for flies to blow through and other insects access to the meat.

Synthetics do breath better than cotton but because they are more tightly woven than the cotton game bags the breathability is about the same. But with synthetics, you have the added benefit of protection from flies and other insects getting to the meat.

Bartlett has done extensive how-to videos and there is a reason why most premium game bags these days are synthetic.

Even though I have switched to just synthetics, I have never had issues with either but I am usually hours or at most a day away from a cooler with ice...if that time frame were anything longer, I think synthetics would win every time, especially with some citric acid spray.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
TAG bags all the way for me…I switched over from cotton bags years ago and I’m never going back. Our meat care with TAG’s has been perfect, and the weight/dry bag volume savings are a dramatic game changer.

BTW…I only buy the real deal…no knock-offs for me. Thank you LB!!

Bringing this thread back to life for a testimonial in favor of TAG Bags. I just got back from a hunt in AK and ordered some TAG Bags for the moose. My main reason was the sizing. I wasn't sure the bags I use for deer and elk would fit a moose quarter in them bone-in. The bags shipped really fast, and I was amazed how light and compact they were.
I have been using the Black Ovis bags for a few years here in Colorado, and liked them more than my old Sportsman's Warehouse bags. We brought a set of those on this trip too. We put a caribou in the Black Ovis bags that I use for elk and the sizing was fine. I was really impressed rolling a TAG Bag over a moose hindquarter.

Field results were 2 ripped Black Ovis bags (never dragged, hanged from a tree to cool and keep air flow), and 0 ripped TAG Bags (dragged over tundra and bushes and laid on bushes to allow air flow). I'm buying a set of smaller TAG Bags to replace the Black Ovis bags for Colorado now.

5 Stars Larry. Thanks for a great product!

Another tag bag fan here. Got to use them for the first time and they worked great. Love how fast they dry amd clean up. People talked about the bags sticking to the meat and ripping off small pieces of meat. Never had any issue like that. When we go the meat back to camp I pulled the bag off the meat to allow more air flow through the bags and worked perfectly.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
This fall I had a couple TAG Bags stick to meat, which stuck to the bag and meat tore when I removed the qtrs.

This thread came to mind so I filmed my observations and made this quick 8 min vid to help educate synthetic game bags users.

trapperJ

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using TAG bags and Caribou gear bags for a while now and there's no reason to ever use another cotton game bag. I think the Tags are more durable and the Caribou gear ones are a little more breathable. I lean toward TAGS if I buy more.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
One more field tip for those guys unlucky enough to get a hole or tear in their TAG Bags (or other synthetic brand).

How to repair a hole in TAG Bags

OP
F

Family Man

Lil-Rokslider
Just an update

We used the Tag bags for a Moose. In the bag during the Day. A night we hung the meat and washed the bags and dried them for use the next morning. Cotton never would have dried out. This went on for 8 days with no meat spoilage. Hope to use them again.