Cottonwood creek bear attack

Djacker

WKR
I recently heard of 2 grizzly attacks in the Cottonwood Creek area of the Gravelly Range. Just wondering if guys are carrying firearms, bear spray or both? I've hunted that area a few times, had a bear take 2 quarters last year. Never saw him though. I personally would have no problem shooting one within 75 yards of me. Sound like attacks happened during daylight hours. Just wondering peoples opinions on this type of issue.

I was waiting for someone to post about this. Has been all over the news today. Would like to hear what happened from the hunters...interesting that both pairs of hunters had guns and niether shot (according to the media)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
Interested too. I hunted that range twice with no grizz encounters and only carried spray (however BIL was mistaken for prey and charged by a black bear). Now hunting around Red Lodge and decided to carry a gun due to the recent activity. I know every situation is different but working through my head how I would handle some of these scenarios. So following this to hear the stories and see how everyone has handled them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradG

FNG
I was waiting for someone to post about this. Has been all over the news today. Would like to hear what happened from the hunters...interesting that both pairs of hunters had guns and niether shot (according to the media)

Agree. They also said they had spray. Personally you can keep the spray. Ill send the jacketed hollow points

Agree. They also said they had spray. Personally you can keep the spray. Ill send the jacketed hollow points
Yep, I would be unleashing some 10mm hardcast underwoods if able

brsnow

WKR
Sounds like they didn’t have time to use their guns and used spray to fend off one attack. The 2nd attack didn’t provide many details.

Yep, I would be unleashing some 10mm hardcast underwoods if able

I read they may have surprised it sleeping at 20 yards. I recently heard an interview of the founder of Ivory Holsters on the transition wild podcast and he made the point that if your sidearm isn't always chambered while you're out there you may as well not carry it at all. Simply not enough time to react as fast as they move.

Glad the bear spray worked (after one was mauled) but I'm with y'all on this one - hardcasts are simply the more dependable response

bowtech840

Lil-Rokslider
I recently heard of 2 grizzly attacks in the Cottonwood Creek area of the Gravelly Range. Just wondering if guys are carrying firearms, bear spray or both? I've hunted that area a few times, had a bear take 2 quarters last year. Never saw him though. I personally would have no problem shooting one within 75 yards of me. Sound like attacks happened during daylight hours. Just wondering peoples opinions on this type of issue.

Is there a certain criteria of distance away when you can shoot? Every situation is different and you always hear about the “bluff charge” but just always wondered. I guess if you shoot them at 75 yards just move your empties closer lol

Is there a certain criteria of distance away when you can shoot? Every situation is different and you always hear about the “bluff charge” but just always wondered. I guess if you shoot them at 75 yards just move your empties closer lol

EXACTLY!

I've wondered this as well. I imagine a typical bluff charge is called off within a couple yards of reaching you. At that point I might have already taken steps to protect myself. Any closer and you're only sending one round at best.

I also hate that if you had to protect yourself, the animal you shot would just go to waste. Sad enough an animal has to die but I can't stand the idea of not showing it the respect of harvesting it and putting it all to good use.

With Colorado bear tags only $100 this year I'm thinking it's probably worth picking one up for safe measure.

(Allegedly) A discerning hunter could tell the difference between a bluff charge and a bear that intends to do you holy harm. Bluffs have upright ears and stiff legs. Attacks have pinned ears and low heads.

BradG

FNG
If your going to shoot a grizzly bear with jacketed hollow points you should file the front site off that gun.
Agree, I should've said solids. Buffalo Bore is what I run when in griz country

hobbes

WKR
Most folks, myself included, can't hit the broadside of a barn with a handgun at 75 yards. I sure as heck couldn't hit a charging grizzly in the head at that distance. You'll be hard pressed to get anyone with a badge to buy into the "life threatening" defense at 75 yards regardless of how threatened you feel or what your underwear looks like. However, waiting untill 25 yards and being plowed into by teeth and claws makes moving the spent casing s sound like a better plan all the time.

I believe the Mike Tyson quote has been posted before on this subject. "Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face."

OP
D

Djacker

WKR
I rather be judged by a jury than dead. If my math is correct a bear could cover 75 yards in less than 5 seconds.