Coues Deer AZ

kmiller

FNG
Hey all, just moved to AZ. Did some spot and stalk whitetail hunting back in Colorado. Any tips on how Coues whitetail differ from regular whitetail would be appreciated!

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
You need a tripod, and at a minimum quality 12 x 50 or 15 x 56 s, then glass LOTS of it.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, just moved to AZ. Did some spot and stalk whitetail hunting back in Colorado. Any tips on how Coues whitetail differ from regular whitetail would be appreciated!

Did you draw a rifle tag? Otherwise archery is OTC for August/September and late December and all of January for the rut. Like MK280AI said, get a tripod and good glass if you don't have it already and get ready to use it. Coues deer are notoriously jumpy. If you're bow hunting be prepared for a lot of frustration but it's also really fun. Feel free to PM me. I live down in Vail.

OXN939

WKR
You need a tripod, and at a minimum quality 12 x 50 or 15 x 56 s, then glass LOTS of it.

Guessing the debate between high-powered binos and a spotter for Coues hunts is a high post count thread huh

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Guessing the debate between high-powered binos and a spotter for Coues hunts is a high post count thread huh

Not so much from what I can tell. Personally I use tripod mounted 12x50s and they're great but some guys swear by 15s and a spotter when they want a closer look. I can't argue with them, I think it's just personal preference. I also use 8s that I carry on my chest harness for handheld scanning without a tripod and that works great.

I'm a life long Az resident and hunter. Feel free to give me a call and I'll point you in the right direction.

Adam
928-595-1554

Mike S

FNG
A tripod is a must, but whatever binocular you have is OK to start with. Killed bucks using 10s for many years.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I've never hunted traditional whitetail but I'd say big differences are size and the terrain they inhabit. Coues deer are often found in steep nasty terrain and their size allows them to disappear in little cover. Like others have said, find a good spot to glass a good amount of ground and pick it apart.

Does anyone know if there are multiple units where OTC coues and mule deer can be found in January? Looking to do a 2020 southern AZ coues hunt but curious as to if there are many options that would allow for the opportunity to chase coues and mule deer that time of year in the same unit/area.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone know if there are multiple units where OTC coues and mule deer can be found in January? Looking to do a 2020 southern AZ coues hunt but curious as to if there are many options that would allow for the opportunity to chase coues and mule deer that time of year in the same unit/area.

Several. 32, 33, 34A, and 34B and I've heard the 35s as well. I live on the north edge of 34A and when I moved here last year I expected so find mule deer in some of the lower elevation areas I was scouting. Instead I found more Coues deer but that doesn't mean the mulies aren't around. A friend recently told me he's seeing whitetails moving more and more into the lower areas where they never were before. If you're willing to do some a little driving and walking around a few of those units and try to find your way into the areas where the habitat starts to switch from more traditional mule deer to whitetail you should be fine. It's a really fun time to hunt down here.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I would say almost darn near every unit that holds Coues deer has mule deer as well that can be hunted OTC. They just inhabit slightly different areas. Generally, look lower for mule deer and higher for coues. You will certain see them commingled on occasion. I hunted 22 last season for coues, ended up arrowing a muley. I was tickled pink.

WKR
As other have stated you need to just sit and glass from a good advantage. A tripod is a must and the best Alpha glass you can afford. I use 12x and 15x bino depending on the situation and a 85mm spotter. I use the 12x and a spotter if I am hiking in but the 15x if I am glass close to the truck. I just use the spotter to help judge the quality of the buck and use the binos to find them. This is for rifle season though, otc archery I don't tend to look as far.

Desert Dan:

This is off topic, but see that you were trying to sell some Swarovski 8x32s a while back. Still have them for sale? I have not been on her long enough to post on the classifieds forum