Coues Deer Big Glass

I’m been blessed and drew a coues deer tag for this fall. Now I’m trying to decide if I should be taking 15x or 18x power binos for my “big” glass. For those that have been spending the time behind the glass looking for coues deer 🦌 do you have a preference on one or the other? I’m taking 10x42 already as well as a 15-45 spotter, though I could take a 20-60 as well if people think it would be better. And all will be on a tripod by the way. Just looking for some advice on my glass. Please help!! Thanks!

Tanner W

Lil-Rokslider
15s and your big spotter, more field of view is what you'll want compared to the 18s.

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on drawing a Coues tag. I learned early on the biggest factor in your glass will not be so much the magnification you're using as the quality of your glass. With that in mind since the 15s and 18s will both be very effective at glassing for Coues I would opt for whichever is the better of the two. Just take your time glassing and choose areas that hold deer and you'll find them.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I like the 15x56 Swarovskis. Binos are so much easier on my eyes than a spotter, and you can spot a javelina under a mesquite tree at a mile with a good pair of 15x56s. You can rent them online or at Ross outdoors in Phoenix, and try them on your hunt if you don't want to invest that much money at one time.

FLAK

WKR
I bought a pair of 15x56 Vortex Vultures for an upcoming Coues
Dec. hunt. No experience with Coues or the Big glass.
Will probably carry those and some 10x42's, We shall see.
No pun intended.

WKR
15 are the go to glass for coues deer. You are going to be glassing must of the time so make sure what ever pair you take you will be comfortable looking through them for long periods of time. If you are taking a spotter, I would bring the 20-60 spotter just to get a better look at the deer. I haven't used a 18x bino but I always bring my 15s and sometimes a 12x depending on the terrain. I just use my spotter to get a better judge of the animal and for videos.

Trying to spot them with a spotter sucks. I second and third the aforementioned advice to not worry about magnification but clarity and comfort AND a super stable platform. You'll be surprised how many you end up spotting within 1000 yards. We've used Swaro SLC 15s, Swaro EL 10s, Zeiss HT 10s, and the 10s outperformed the 15s for long glassing sessions on the eye comfort.

Trial153

WKR
I run 12x50 Els for coues off the tripod and pair them with 8x32 els when I make my stalk into bow range. I never felt like I was lacking anything with my 12s. vs the 15s i owned. Enough that I now no longer own any 15s. My spotter always sees very limited duty because quite honestly the 12s will show me more then enough to make a decision.

Last edited:

weaver

WKR
Had a coues tag last December and carried swaro El 10x42s, 15x vortex Kaibabs and a vortex razor spotter.
Sold the vortex binos as soon as I got home. Found just as many deer with the 10x swaros and glassing comfort was much better.
If I spend the money on big binos again they're going to be swaros.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

CP6

FNG
It varies for me but I like the 15x56 swaro. Had the Kaibab, but the heat waves killed it for me. Kaibabs couldn’t cut through like the blue chip glass. Oddly, I have a Vortex Razor spotter that works great in that regard, but it’s a 65 and I really want the 85 or splurge and just go Swaro for better optical quality. It’s been said a million times, spend money on the 10s and spotter, get the best glass out there. It’s worth every penny. My buddy only used 10s last year and was perfectly happy. Only needed the spotter twice and that was to save a 1/2 mile walk in to check size before he went after the deer. He was running Zeiss 10x btw