Coues Deer Hunting - AND NM unit 27?

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to apply for my first coues hunt in NM this year. Might expand to AZ later on and have considered doing MX maybe after getting some experience in my home state (NM).

I'm looking for general Coues hunting information, It is completely different country than I have ever hunted before and different animal than most that i've hunted (Barbary, mule deer, elk , antelope). Minus the obvious tactics of glassing from morning til night, what surprised you on your first coues hunt? I just want to eliminate as many surprises as I can and be able to focus on hunting these things.

Also looking for some info from anyone that has hunted NM unit 27. I've heard the access to the public land is difficult even though the amount of public land is plentiful. Not looking for honey holes just curious how many of the main roads ACTUALLY take you to the public. Also any tips on Elevation ? I know there are desert bighorn in this area as well in the Peloncillo Mountains, Do these animals utilize different terrain? No experience with desert bighorn either. I know NM isn't the known Coues destination but I want to try it on a resident tag before I spend more $$ for out of state stuff.

Again just wanting to flatten the learning curve as much as possible, Any info is greatly appreciated.

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted Coues deer for the past 40+ years, all in Arizona. I have also hunted all over New Mexico just not in 27, but I have hunted on the other side of the AZ border.

Hunting Coues is like hunting barbary sheep. They are hard to see even if you know where they are because they blend in so well.

I have seen big horn sheep on the same hill as Coues many times in AZ, but this is in the transition areas.

But the best place to look for Coues is around the 5000' elevation that has oak brush. If it is cold, look on the sunny side of the hills, if hot, look in the shade.

• Banned
OP
tonechaser88

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted Coues deer for the past 40+ years, all in Arizona. I have also hunted all over New Mexico just not in 27, but I have hunted on the other side of the AZ border.

Hunting Coues is like hunting barbary sheep. They are hard to see even if you know where they are because they blend in so well.

I have seen big horn sheep on the same hill as Coues many times in AZ, but this is in the transition areas.

But the best place to look for Coues is around the 5000' elevation that has oak brush. If it is cold, look on the sunny side of the hills, if hot, look in the shade.
Have you done well in other units in NM? Is the 5000 ft mark a good elevation band for coues typically? Or 5000 and up the mountain? I’m assuming they will stay where the habitat is best and they have a small range like other whitetail, is there certain vegetation features they seem to prefer ?

You can find coues in all elevations about 2500’ on up. I hunt southern az for them, in fact just got back yesterday. I have hunted them in New Mexico in units 27,23, and 24 as well. There’s really no terrain that they prefer the most in my opinion. The oaks are just smack in the middle elevation wise, and is the “obvious” coues area where you’ll find most hunters. But if they are in an area , you’ll find them as low as in the flats/foothills, and as high as the pines.

Buckshotaz

Lil-Rokslider
Have you done well in other units in NM? Is the 5000 ft mark a good elevation band for coues typically? Or 5000 and up the mountain? I’m assuming they will stay where the habitat is best and they have a small range like other whitetail, is there certain vegetation features they seem to prefer ?
Like 100%DIYazCoues said, the 5000 ft mark is is a target area, they will be higher and lower from there. As far as what they like to eat, I have seen them eat everything barrel cactus fruit is a funny one but I have seen them go from cactus to cactus eating the fruit.

Start with the sun to your back and glass. If you glassed a hillside and didn't see anything, glass it again.

Good info so far.

Hardest part of Coues hunting is training your eyes to see them. I recommend taking a weekend and go to Coues country and start glassing. Continue to do this over time leading up to your hunt and then pivot to serious scouting (which entails glassing).

To this day I am still amazed at their ability to hide in plain site.

rootacres

WKR
So I just got back from my first AZ Coues hunt. There weren't any surprises in terms of glassing sun up to sun down, the little f-ers are hard to see, shots are likely to be at extended ranges etc. The terrain is about what you would expect, its likely to be rocky and tough to traverse.

In AZ a SXS is almost a must. It just saves your legs. I prefer to hike when I can, in some areas I had to. I didn't bring my quad, my father in law brought his twin locked TJ jeep. but even that couldn't go everywhere because of how narrow the trails were. The morning I shot my buck I hiked about 2 miles and about 800 vertical before the hunt really even started. I saw deer anywhere from 3800' to 5000', I killed mine around 3800'. I got as high as 5500' and as low as about 3000' (Nov 26-Dec 5 tag).

As a midwest whitetail hunter that goes out west when I can. I have to say that having premium optics when glassing in the desert light scenarios was huge. I brought two sets of binos. I had 10x42 Leica's that were very pricey and some much cheaper 15x50s. I tried using both and there was no comparison, I went with the 10s. So Id say buy the absolute best pair of binos (tripod/adapter too) you can afford. Even if it means you buy them before the hunt and then sell them after. It will make a tough hunt less stressful on your eyes for sure.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
tonechaser88

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
So I just got back from my first AZ Coues hunt. There weren't any surprises in terms of glassing sun up to sun down, the little f-ers are hard to see, shots are likely to be at extended ranges etc. The terrain is about what you would expect, its likely to be rocky and tough to traverse.

In AZ a SXS is almost a must. It just saves your legs. I prefer to hike when I can, in some areas I had to. I didn't bring my quad, my father in law brought his twin locked TJ jeep. but even that couldn't go everywhere because of how narrow the trails were. The morning I shot my buck I hiked about 2 miles and about 800 vertical before the hunt really even started. I saw deer anywhere from 3800' to 5000', I killed mine around 3800'. I got as high as 5500' and as low as about 3000' (Nov 26-Dec 5 tag).

As a midwest whitetail hunter that goes out west when I can. I have to say that having premium optics when glassing in the desert light scenarios was huge. I brought two sets of binos. I had 10x42 Leica's that were very pricey and some much cheaper 15x50s. I tried using both and there was no comparison, I went with the 10s. So Id say buy the absolute best pair of binos (tripod/adapter too) you can afford. Even if it means you buy them before the hunt and then sell them after. It will make a tough hunt less stressful on your eyes for sure.
I own a SXS and was also very curious about that. It seems like I’m NM the access roads are limited ave there are not many areas to even get a SXS but I’ll remember that for AZ. What yardages did all you guys kill your bucks ? And what time of day was it ? I know they get up and move around all day long but just curious on that one. I plan on bringing the vortex 10x42 fury AB and the 18 razors. I understand the training your eye to see them, Barbary sheep also seem to be able to hide in plain sight fairly well. Coues are much smaller though and that country they live in is so big. So far sone great info here , thank you !!

JPD350

WKR
Access sucks, there are literally only a handful of access points that everyone has to use. Backpacking in is one way to do it but water becomes the issue, you gotta pack in water or you have to scout the area fairly close to your hunt to see if water is available somewhere. I would also plan on hiding your gear during the day if you pack in because there are a lot of people going through those hills. You may not see the people but they are there, they leave lots of trash in many secluded canyons.

OP
tonechaser88

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
Access sucks, there are literally only a handful of access points that everyone has to use. Backpacking in is one way to do it but water becomes the issue, you gotta pack in water or you have to scout the area fairly close to your hunt to see if water is available somewhere. I would also plan on hiding your gear during the day if you pack in because there are a lot of people going through those hills. You may not see the people but they are there, they leave lots of trash in many secluded canyons.
Ever heard of any theft issues such as trashing trucks or breaking out truck windows ? Any recommendations on how to deal with the border crossers ?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’d be concerned about water. If you scout and end up finding an area you like or that holds animals you can then make more scouting trips to bring in water to stash.

I own a SXS and was also very curious about that. It seems like I’m NM the access roads are limited ave there are not many areas to even get a SXS but I’ll remember that for AZ. What yardages did all you guys kill your bucks ? And what time of day was it ? I know they get up and move around all day long but just curious on that one. I plan on bringing the vortex 10x42 fury AB and the 18 razors. I understand the training your eye to see them, Barbary sheep also seem to be able to hide in plain sight fairly well. Coues are much smaller though and that country they live in is so big. So far sone great info here , thank you !!
Have killed Coues as close as 7 yards to 840 yards. Most shots for me seem to fall between 350-550 yards.

Put your binoculars on a tripod. Glass all day. They do get up throughout the day to stretch, pee and poop, nibble, and get back in the shade.

Have killed bucks from dawn to dusk; most kills split fairly evenly within a couple hours of dawn and the last couple of hours at sunset.

Ever heard of any theft issues such as trashing trucks or breaking out truck windows ? Any recommendations on how to deal with the border crossers ?
Keep your vehicle locked and the keys with you; don’t leave anything valuable in it. Biggest issues with theft is idiot Americans. Border crossers may take water or food; otherwise they don’t want to carry more than they need to. Can be a different story for those going back south.

Be careful hiking in the dark. We try to get back to the vehicle before it is dark especially if solo.

For the most part folks want to encounter you as much as you want to encounter them. It’s the surprise encounters that can make for an exciting time. Folks looking for work is one thing; it’s the other groups, usually armed, that are the problem. If a group is approaching, slip away a hard 90 degrees from them.

Saw significantly more activity this year compared to previous years.

rootacres

WKR

So all the deer I saw were from 8:30 AM to 11:30 AM with the exception of 1 button buck on an evening hunt and bumping a doe at first light on my way up.

My shot distance was 425 yds and another guy that camped next to us shot his buck at 410 yds. I saw most the deer at 800 yds - 1100 yds.

OP
tonechaser88

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
Great info guys thanks ? Talk me some calibers, using a light gun for ease of hiking ? Heavy gun for longer shots ? Just curious

Great info guys thanks ? Talk me some calibers, using a light gun for ease of hiking ? Heavy gun for longer shots ? Just curious
Am partial to 6.5s as they work well without much recoil. But I’d go quarter bore or larger.

Weight is not that big of an issue as you should not need to hike for miles. Run whatever you have the most confidence in.

OP
tonechaser88

tonechaser88

Lil-Rokslider
I was thinking on the lines of wind and long shots , I know I’ve seen the mountain project guys shoot a 28 nosler at them but that seems a little excessive. Ultralights are difficult to shoot at longer ranges obviously but I didn’t know how much hiking a guy would be doing getting to different glassing knobs .

I was thinking on the lines of wind and long shots , I know I’ve seen the mountain project guys shoot a 28 nosler at them but that seems a little excessive. Ultralights are difficult to shoot at longer ranges obviously but I didn’t know how much hiking a guy would be doing getting to different glassing knobs .
Set up shop wherever gives you the most field of view. Sometimes that is down load (glass up) and other times it is up high (glass down).

Terrain will dictate how easy it is to change glassing locations.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
Unit 27 holds some Coues. Like you said getting into the public land can be tricky. Might even consider coming in from AZ. Get maps or OnX would be my biggest suggestion. Been in that country a bit, I’d probably park in the forest and hike. I’d also plan on deboning it and hauling it out. There’s lots of good country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk