Coues Question

Headed down to AZ to hunt coues in January. Been pouring over maps and trying to read/listen to as much as I can. One thing I hear people say is that they live on desert "islands." Looking at the maps for the units I'm looking in, I guess I don't know what is meant by that. Any guidance would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

SOIHUNT

Lil-Rokslider
Pm me your number and what time works for you to talk? I live here in Arizona and the hunt the gray ghost a lot!

Youngbuck86

Lil-Rokslider
The term desert island refers to mountains separated by desert floor. There are many who believe the deer are isolated on the mountains. Depending on the unit, there can also be plenty of Coues on the desert floor and foothills.

Tempe.243

FNG
A good technical definition here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_island

A more general explanation would be where the elevation gets high enough for whitetails. Sometimes you have areas where it is to low/hot and the range has isolated pockets of elevation that get up to say 4000'.

Like someone else said above they are talking about the big mountains that come outta the flats but don’t over look the flats going into the mountains can be a hidden and overlooked gem. Good luck if you have more questions send me a message.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04