Cougar attack vid

gelton

WKR
I am calling bullshit here. Exactly how are you going to “make a stand”?
You stop retreating so that the cat can close into a couple yards and then what??? Staring contest? What you going to do when she closes the last yard? You going to bare knuckle fight her? Maybe do some Ju jitsu? I hope not! I don’t think you would win.

I’m not an expert on cougars or surviving cougar attacks.... but She’s got claws and teeth and kills big shit everyday. You’re armed with a cell phone.

Giving up your only advantage, distance, seems foolish to me.

You can’t cheat the mountain
I wouldn't call distance an advantage against a cat that can cover 20 yards in 2 seconds. Notice that the cat didn't finally turn and go until he stopped retreating just for a couple of seconds. Cats are deadly due to their stealthiness and surprise attacks.

Not that anyone knows what would happen but people survive mountain lion attacks fairly regularly and most often those attacks were unannounced and unexpected.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Fair enough, it’s a SMALL advantage at best. Maybe you’re right, maybe she would have retreated quicker if he stopped. I just don’t know the right answer. Glad he got out of there in one piece.

You stop retreating so that the cat can close into a couple yards and then what??? Staring contest? What you going to do when she closes the last yard? You going to bare knuckle fight her? Maybe do some Ju jitsu? I hope not! I don’t think you would win.

I’m not an expert on cougars or surviving cougar attacks.... but She’s got claws and teeth and kills big shit everyday. You’re armed with a cell phone.

Mountain lion behavior is like that of an unarmed ninja. They can kill you, sure, but they really don't like a fight. Growing up I was always taught that you play dead with grizzlies, and fight against mountain lions or black bears. If I make a stand against the cat I'm picking up some big rocks, and I'm gonna ring its bell real good... funnily enough, it sure looks like the guy in the video threw a rock right at the end, and that's why the lion ran.

*I also can't imagine going for a run without some kind of weapon in predator country, personally, but rocks were available to him

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
dont know for sure but i think her displaying of open claws was to get him away from her cubs. it had the desired effect!!

if she was really going to attack i don't think she would have given warning.

OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
Mountain lion behavior is like that of an unarmed ninja. They can kill you, sure, but they really don't like a fight. Growing up I was always taught that you play dead with grizzlies, and fight against mountain lions or black bears. If I make a stand against the cat I'm picking up some big rocks, and I'm gonna ring its bell real good... funnily enough, it sure looks like the guy in the video threw a rock right at the end, and that's why the lion ran.

*I also can't imagine going for a run without some kind of weapon in predator country, personally, but rocks were available to him

I agree that it looks like he either threw or kicked some rocks at her right before you see her run, so maybe you are correct.

Hey Guys. (First post here! Found this site looking for info on Wyoming Antelope...)

I agree that distance from the cubs was necessary... but the next 5 minutes of the encounter weren't. Did you notice how whenever he hesitated or got loud, she showed her side to him, or hesitated herself? She was ready to quit pretty early on. I suggest that if he had stopped and go really loud and intimidating, she would have stopped too. Her looking back at the cubs was another clue to her willingness to break it off.

That being said, I don't blame him a single little bit! Imagine yourself in those running shoes! Making a stand would be almost physically impossible! Talk about getting jacked up!

Really amazing viral video when it comes to denning Mamma behavior!

EastMT

WKR
My first thought was why you walking towards a kitten/cub/baby of any species. Glad it turned out ok, I’d have throw a rock a little sooner, about 10mm diameter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well in the end it didn't attack him and eventually ran off. Do he did the right thing. Maybe not the perfect thing (whatever that is) but right enough. He was pretty entertaining with the comments (nerves I'm sure vs. trying to be funny). Biggest mistake/regret was no bear spray or handgun/rifle on him.

tdhanses

WKR

I bet she would of ran off if he charged her after he backed away from the kittens, just my take, maybe she would of ate him. At the end is the first time he showed her any aggression and she ran fast.

If cats knew how much of a threat we are not you would have many dead people each year vs very few over 100 years. There’s a reason CA leads in cat fatalitie.

Last edited:
OP
FlyGuy

FlyGuy

WKR
I bet she would of ran off if he charged her after he backed away from the kittens, just my take, maybe she would of ate him. At the end is the first time he showed her any aggression and she ran fast.

If cats knew how much of a threat we are not you would have many dead people each year vs very few over 100 years. There’s a reason CA leads in cat fatalitie.

Yeah, that makes sense. I will probably never see a wild cougar in my lifetime so I will likely never get to apply this newly gained knowledge, but good to know!

zeeoh6

FNG
Life lesson for that guy. I bet he’ll never go for another run without some firepower.

feanor

WKR
From Deseret News

“Burgess said every time he took his eyes off her or tried to stoop down for a rock to throw at her, the mountain lion lunged at him, hissing. With each pounce, her front paws and claws flared. Her powerful hind legs kicked up dust and gravel.”

I guess he was finally able to get a rock at the end and scare her. But seeing her charge every time he wanted to bend down to get a rock puts new perspective on the video.

If that were me, that cat would have learned some new words and the video would have been one continuous beep.... :)

jmez

WKR
Yeah, if only he'd had a gun he could have killed a female with cubs and not gotten harmed!

She wanted him away from her cubs, nothing more. Could have and would have damaged him in short order had she wanted too.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Keep seeing headlines that say she was 'stalking' him...I'm like that ain't stalking LMAO....

Turns out this was all just a Hoax,
old man Jenkins was just trying to scare kids off his mountain with his kitty costume.

signed...
Scooby and the gang

Why did he keep filming? He could have two rocks in his hands instead of one and a phone.
He did have a good hurl with that rock that ended the encounter