Cougar attack vid

rayporter

WKR
charging her was the first thing i thought of.

but i think if you had charged her before she got some distance between you and the cubs/kits it would have ended very bad. once she had you a safe distance [in her mind] away she would have probably ran. what we dont know is what she considered the safety margin.

he sure was wanting her last meal to be filmed.

TheGDog

WKR
While I'll admit she was darn awnry... I kept finding myself going "What are you doing!" watching this thing. In the beginning he never clearly gets firm and commanding with his aggression. He never fully committed to being the alpha.

Granted he does look a significant bit thinner than me... but I kept waiting for the guy to finally man-up and act his size (in comparison to the cat). I dunno. I have a gut feeling that most of us who have dogs that we've trained, would have ended this incident far earlier on.

MTB

FNG
The exact reason why I never go into the mountains without either a can of bear spray or my .44......never

fmyth

WKR
Maybe avoid all of this by not walking up to mountain lion kittens to get a video to put on instagram....
I agree. He should not have approached the cub. It appears that he did so in an attempt to get pics. I can only speculate as to why he felt it was worth risking his life to get a pic. It only takes a second to go from instafamous to instadead.

MeatBuck

WKR
Maybe avoid all of this by not walking up to mountain lion kittens to get a video to put on instagram....
Guy was running, came around the corner and the kittens were there. Was clearly taking the same route of travel at a faster rate and caught up to the kittens that were following mom. I doubt there was anything else to it. He saw them pulled out camera and hit record and a few seconds later momma kitty was making her charge.

jspradley

WKR
I agree. He should not have approached the cub. It appears that he did so in an attempt to get pics. I can only speculate as to why he felt it was worth risking his life to get a pic. It only takes a second to go from instafamous to instadead.

I believe he thought they were bobcat kittens and wanted to see them, still a dumb thing but not as dumb as pissing off a momma cougar.

My general rule is to stay away from any and all baby wild animals...and most domestic too. lol

zog

Lil-Rokslider
TIme to start running with a gun? I don't live in the mountains but 10/10 would carry more if i did.
Exactly my thoughts, but I better be sure I'm practiced. Shaking like that, I wonder if I could have done much more than piss her off. Anything but a kill might just make it worse - don't know. And I would be shaking!

On the other hand, who knows - maybe the noise alone would scare her off back to her cub.