Cougar hunting tips?

During Oregon blacktail this season I finally saw my first cougar in a clear cut but she has a spotted kitten with her, other than tracking in the snow does anybody have tips on successful methods they have used for cougars? I’ve tried going back to the area with a loud predator call and waiting quite a while but with no success. Seem to hear about more cougar sightings and less elk and deer populations where I live...

I've had similar run-ins and have tried some fawn in distress calling in good areas with recent sightings... no luck here either. Interested to see if anyone gets after them with any consistency (without dogs). I might try some of rainshadow's lion calls this year, seems like that has better luck targeting them than typical predator calls?

OP
Christenson9
I've had similar run-ins and have tried some fawn in distress calling in good areas with recent sightings... no luck here either. Interested to see if anyone gets after them with any consistency (without dogs). I might try some of rainshadow's lion calls this year, seems like that has better luck targeting them than typical predator calls?

Let me know how that goes. I’ve had two encounters within 10 yards in thick reeprod with no shot opportunity while bow hunting then that one I mentioned earlier. Would love to figure out how to somewhat consistently hunt them.

What makes them hard to consistently hunt is their home range. Could be months before they hit the same area again.

When calling, be patient and keep movement to a minimum. They can sneak in, hide, and assess the situation. You can bust them without ever knowing that they were there.

If the terrain allows it, you can glass for them. Seen them out at all hours. Do look for kills. If fresh and confirmed to be a lion kill, they’ll likely be back so you set up an ambush.

But the best way to consistently see a lion is to leave your tag at home. That or have the wrong type of weapon with you (out of range).

Remember the odds and that it’s mostly a fool’s errand to specifically hunt for lions without hounds. Something like 90% are taken with hounds, 9% are taken by chance while hunting other game, and the last 1% is specifically hunting without hounds.

But I’m a fool and give it a go several times a year.

TheGDog

WKR
Cougar Hunting Tips?

Goto "The Quiet Woman" restaurant in Corona del Mar, CA. For their Happy Hour and live bands. (HaHA!)