Cougar siting

Pastorowc

FNG
So, I live in Missouri and the county I live in says there hasnt been a cougar siting in over 50 years. Last week while deer hunting in some thick brush and locust trees I saw, what I thought was a doe 60 yards away(i ranged it) but it looked like a muscular body for a doe and also looked too low to the ground so I put my binoculars on it and it was a cat about 4' long and about 18-24" tall. I freaked out a little bit as it was only 60 yards away and all I had was my blackpowder. What scared me was it came out from where I had just come from 30 minutes earlier. So we called the landowner to let him know and he said he knows that there is at least 1 as he had a pic on gamecam. Also said he found cow parts up in some of the trees. He said he called conservation but they never came out telling him they were sure it wasnt a big cat. I know what a bobcat looks like, seen many, but this was a big cat! I would have known it was a cat earlier I would have snapped a pic or video. Now Im a bit nervous to bow hunt out there because I have to walk through alot of that thick stuff to get to the place I have some shooting lanes. So keep me in prayers everybody, Im going back out in the next few days to coyote hunt and will feel a bit more safe with ar15.

OP
P

Pastorowc

FNG
sounds good. I appreciate your input. Never seen one that close and was told I can't shoot them unless I was being attacked, plus dont think I would be to good of shot when running. lol

Montero

Lil-Rokslider
Agree, be aware of your surroundings and the odds especially in your area seem to be very low for an second encounter much less a threatening encounter. While hunting, I've seen cat tracks in my tracks I put down in the snow when I hiked in for a morning hunt only to find lion tracks over my tracks later that day when I hiked out. The lion followed me for a short distance then back into the deep woods..... never saw the cat. I think about it but I don't worry about it and just hunt.

I have had two stalk me. One followed my trial for 1/2 mile (snow). When I was out in the open of a pasture he moved into a thicket to get closer to me. He got within 40 yards before I saw him and yelled. Back tracking and looking at his tracks in the snow he saw me at 100 yards and decided to move to cover to get closer.

The second one probably thought I was cow elk as I was use a cow call. I was calling to a bull 150 yards below me. Suddenly the bull took off. I stood to see if I could get a shot and saw movement out of the corner of my eye. Yep 20 yards away was a cougar.

Travis907

WKR
I agree with the rest of the comments. Don’t worry about the little kitty cat, he won’t hurt you! Set trail cams and get us a picture, all sportsman like to see pics!

NateOne

FNG
Watch some episodes of, "I Was Prey". I recall at least four separate stories in which people have given their accounts of being attacked by a mountain lion and survived. They also showed their hospital room pics and scars from the wounds.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent a lot of time in cougar country and seen exactly one. They are sneaky as all get out, but don't typically want to eat or even be around people. I might worry if the cat looked real skinny or injured, but from your description, it sounds like a healthy one that should have no trouble catching deer.

Cool sighting!

I wouldn’t worry about it. Here in Iowa I see at least 1 or 2 trail cam pics every year. The river valley is pretty small all considered but I haven’t heard of a hunter actually seeing one before. Someday I hope to get the chance. I remember when our DNR used to deny it also, never understood what their problem with it was