Countertops

Jmort1754

WKR
While waiting for our kitchen cabinets the significant other wants to paint our countertops. She tried the giani (sp) shit and it's a no go.

Anyone ever painted their tops? What would you recommend ?

grfox92

WKR
What kind of countertops do you have? I'm guessing Formica?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Formica is a ‘brand’ of laminate. Another brand is WilsonArt.

Do not. I repeat, do not paint laminate

grfox92

WKR
I would not ever even think about "painting" countertops.

Epoxy on the other hand is a great option. There are a lot of epoxy countertop kits out there that can transform your countertop into something that will look great and last for years.

I can't stress enough about using nothing but epoxy for this application. Even if a single stage paint says it's made for countertops don't use it.

Legend

WKR
If you are half handy you can build new laminate counter tops pretty darn cheap. Thus I have no advice on trying to rehab

grfox92

WKR
Formica is a ‘brand’ of laminate. Another brand is WilsonArt.

Do not. I repeat, do not paint laminate
I agree with not painting laminate.

Epoxy is another story.

Are you advising against just because of adhesion to the slick surface?

If that's the case, I'm sure the epoxy kits have a prep recommendation. If they don't, you could either lightly sand the surface, or what I would do, is .....

Get some TSP (tri sodium phosphate), rubber gloves and green scotch Brite pads. Dip the pads in the tsp and work over the entire surface. This will be much cleaner and no dust.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
Our kitchen cabinets will be done in the fall so we are trying to do an easy update.

grfox92

WKR
Our kitchen cabinets will be done in the fall so we are trying to do an easy update.
So just to be perfectly clear, This fall you will be getting a completely new kitchen countertops and cabinets. You're just looking to update your existing countertops until that happens correct?

If that's the case an epoxy kit would be your only viable option.

cnelk

WKR
Want an easy update?

Get a heat gun and a pull off the old laminate.
Then get a router, a piece of new laminate and some dowel rods and DIY

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
So just to be perfectly clear, This fall you will be getting a completely new kitchen countertops and cabinets. You're just looking to update your existing countertops until that happens correct?

If that's the case an epoxy kit would be your only viable option.

Yes.

I'm checking out epoxy kits.

Bighorse

WKR
Yes, the 6.5 Creedmore is a great counter option… may I suggest the Barret Fieldcraft or Kimber Mountain assent. I wouldn’t mind the laminated stock either. Now if u choose to refinish an already nice stock I’d wipe down the wife with a fine oil and rub it real firm. That will allow for the new rifle to stick.

And get White Quartz…

Painting counter tops doesn’t seem like a good idea, though I’ve never tried. I’ve been try to talk the wife into concrete counter tops for awhile. I found a pretty neat looking kit that you add some sort of powder to quickcrete and has a plastic grid looking material that is spaced just above the plywood base. It comes with a silicone edge profile of your choice that you peel off when it’s set up and you touch up the edges with a diamond pad. You can stain it like natural stone or one color, then seal it. I don’t remember the price but I want to say it was a couple hundred bucks plus plywood and quickcrete. For a guy who’s done some tile and concrete it looks very doable and affordable.

grfox92

WKR
Painting counter tops doesn’t seem like a good idea, though I’ve never tried. I’ve been try to talk the wife into concrete counter tops for awhile. I found a pretty neat looking kit that you add some sort of powder to quickcrete and has a plastic grid looking material that is spaced just above the plywood base. It comes with a silicone edge profile of your choice that you peel off when it’s set up and you touch up the edges with a diamond pad. You can stain it like natural stone or one color, then seal it. I don’t remember the price but I want to say it was a couple hundred bucks plus plywood and quickcrete. For a guy who’s done some tile and concrete it looks very doable and affordable.
These are concrete countertops I did myself in my last house. Quickrete and Sakrete both make concrete dyes. I did mine charcoal and they came out black.

I formed and poured mine in place which I will never do again. I would template and pour them on saw horses or the ground and move them into the kitchen. If you have any questions about the process send me a PM.

80dceb50f098ec3623d2bab91a84d4bf.jpg

These are concrete countertops I did myself in my last house. Quickrete and Sakrete both make concrete dyes. I did mine charcoal and they came out black.

I formed and poured mine in place which I will never do again. I would template and pour them on saw horses or the ground and move them into the kitchen. If you have any questions about the process send me a PM.

80dceb50f098ec3623d2bab91a84d4bf.jpg
Nice! I will hit you up if I can talk her into it…