Couple floorless questions

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Heading to CO for second rifle elk. I know the possibility for extreme shifts in weather, including the possibility for several inches/ft of snow. I've got a lot of the gear I need, but still need to nail down my shelter and sleep system. Having never used a floorless shelter my question is should I just get a light backpacking tent for this year since I really won't be able to try out a floorless in that kind of weather before going? Then I could try out a floorless next year after being able to try it out. I do like the concept, especially when I could add a stove. I would not be able to afford to get a stove this year. Also how is it using floorless in the snow, or do most people only use floorless for better weather? Thanks for the help!

Shrek

WKR
After going floorless I wouldn't even consider a floored shelter. There may be limited places and times a floored tent might be better but you won't find it in the Colorado backcountry. Jmo.

A floor/netting is more for bugs than anything. Floorless can work great in the snow, just need a piece of Tyvek/plastic. Your going to want a really warm sleeping pad either way. Some companies offer both options in the same shelter. Check out Tarptent

Tsnider

WKR
i camped out a night in my sawtooth on a little snow. it wasnt too bad. a muddy mess once some of it melted. i wouldnt have done it without the stove personally. floorless has some advantages like losing weight because of not having a floor, but honestly the main appealing thing about a floorless is the stove.

If youre not taking in a stove, then a light weight tent might be the ticket. I am a floorless guy, but I also have a stove- they just work so well together. But since you wont have a stove, why not just use the light weight tent ?
With that said it almost sounds like you are looking get a tent and don't have either yet?
Seems you may be trying to buy once now and evolve it over the years , like getting a stove?

If that's the case you have a tough decision, cause a good light weight tent is pricey. A good floorless tent is pricey. Assuming you don't want to buy twice I would say get the floorless and figure it out. If you have the $$ get a good light weight this year, next year get the floorless with a stove. 2nd season will be cold at altitude for sure.

Floorless/stove is the way to go in any season, but for sure in late Sept on.
An Aug to early Sept hunt favors a small light weight tent, depending on where you hunt (altitude)

There really is NOT a one system is Perfect. Bought some are darn close
You will discover you need different pieces for different scenarios.
Just like layer and clothes, weapons for seasons, etc..

oldgoat

WKR
People do go flooorless in snow, I haven't yet, biggest thing there is you need special stakes if the snow is deep. If you get a small flooorless, you can use the small primus lantern to take the chill off, I did that my first year in my Sawtooth. You can keep an eye classifieds for good deals, just don't drag your feet on a deal, I bought a ti-goat tipi for 250 on classifieds last year.

oldgoat

WKR
And for reference, small backpacking tents are usually heavily vented and aren't any warmer than flooorless if flooorless is pitched correctly. I think I would prefer floored in summer because of bugs and flooorless in winter

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The extra space inside a floorless (for the weight) if you have to sit out weather and try to dry gear (as much as you can w/o a stove) can be nice. I might just bring a bigger ground sheet piece to have more buffer around my sleep area. Bonus is you aren't tracking in mud/snow into a small floored shelter.

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Heading to CO for second rifle elk. I know the possibility for extreme shifts in weather, including the possibility for several inches/ft of snow. I've got a lot of the gear I need, but still need to nail down my shelter and sleep system. Having never used a floorless shelter my question is should I just get a light backpacking tent for this year since I really won't be able to try out a floorless in that kind of weather before going? Then I could try out a floorless next year after being able to try it out. I do like the concept, especially when I could add a stove. I would not be able to afford to get a stove this year. Also how is it using floorless in the snow, or do most people only use floorless for better weather? Thanks for the help!

You can definitely use a floorless shelter in the snow. I do it frequently and it works flawlessly. A floor less shelter will work in any weather a regular tent will. You can always buy a stove later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Sent you a PM Gunner. Hit me up I have a Cimmeron + Stove if your passing through Denver I can loan you for your hunt so you can try it out. You will never go back to a tent after using a Floorless :p

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
If youre not taking in a stove, then a light weight tent might be the ticket. I am a floorless guy, but I also have a stove- they just work so well together. But since you wont have a stove, why not just use the light weight tent ?
With that said it almost sounds like you are looking get a tent and don't have either yet?
Seems you may be trying to buy once now and evolve it over the years , like getting a stove?

If that's the case you have a tough decision, cause a good light weight tent is pricey. A good floorless tent is pricey. Assuming you don't want to buy twice I would say get the floorless and figure it out. If you have the $$ get a good light weight this year, next year get the floorless with a stove. 2nd season will be cold at altitude for sure.

Floorless/stove is the way to go in any season, but for sure in late Sept on.
An Aug to early Sept hunt favors a small light weight tent, depending on where you hunt (altitude)

There really is NOT a one system is Perfect. Bought some are darn close
You will discover you need different pieces for different scenarios.
Just like layer and clothes, weapons for seasons, etc..
You are correct, I don't have either one yet, I'd like to buy once, just hate taking something that far away without having tested it in similar weather.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Get the floorless then
You wont regret it I promise.
I set my redcliffe up here in Utah in March and we were comfy with my stove. I say we meaning myself and 2 grand kids. They never got cold.

If your concern is "Not Knowing", trust the responses on here, some very experienced people have given you real world experience.
I cant imagine myself using a floored tent again. I know there are some applications where a tarp, super tarp or even a bivy are applicable, but from what you stated, You would be wise to get the floorless and be set.

When I sleep in mine, I don't even remember its floorless. I am on my Tyvek ground cloth and Klymatic pad & When I wake up I see the grass and have just gotten used to seeing it. lol

Now you have to figure which one you want... 4 man, 6 man
Keep in mind the 4 man is really a 2 man or 3 at best (when you add in gear and a wood pile). I hunt solo, or with one other guy rarely and I opted for the redcliffe, I believe they say it is 4-6. You could do 4, but it is a hotel for 2 and gear, 3 would still be plenty comfortable and 4 would require reducing the comfortable space between you and the next guy.

The only way to figure out it to try it for yourself. It's not like you cant sell a floorless shelter on Rokslide. You'll get a ton of opinions on which shelter and why, so just try it out for yourself.

Ghost

Lil-Rokslider
Sent you a PM Gunner. Hit me up I have a Cimmeron + Stove if your passing through Denver I can loan you for your hunt so you can try it out. You will never go back to a tent after using a Floorless :p

Outstanding offer!!!!

Question for you floorless guys, what do you do when there is snow on the ground? Say you have 6 inches of snow, do you try and remove it from the foot print or just throw your tyvek/pad/bag right on top of the snow? Is you leave the snow there, does the stove turn everything in mud puddle?

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Outstanding offer!!!!

Question for you floorless guys, what do you do when there is snow on the ground? Say you have 6 inches of snow, do you try and remove it from the foot print or just throw your tyvek/pad/bag right on top of the snow? Is you leave the snow there, does the stove turn everything in mud puddle?

If I'm hiking into camp with that much snow on the ground I always try to kick it, brush it or do whatever to remove as much of it as possible. This last year I did a trip with a little over a foot of snow and brought a small snow shovel with me to shovel out an area. I would do that with a regular tent as well.

You certainly don't have to remove the snow, but if you fire up a wood burning stove inside the tent that snow will start melting and create a wet mess pretty fast. It takes a few minutes to remove snow but it is worth doing and will make staking your tent out much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for all the great info guys! It is much appreciated.

I like the floorless. Winter or summer. I always carry the stove but would have no problem going without if for some reason I lost it.

d2a03508fcb7efd9df1db22f88e9f3ac_zpszk0gth4k.jpg

0e41f59a8ffd5602c499ff4d260840ca_zpsjwusroks.jpg

17491ff6e07cd8089ce1e6cd7bc0f044_zpsfebquyw7.jpg

And I found a photo when I didn't have a stove with.

3dbb022d29dae2fa198bf8fb0f200cc7_zps36igcxyv.jpg

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Be careful. As someone who has hunted 2nd Season in CO for a while, the weather could destroy many of the tents out there. Snow piling on a tent is not good. A stove and tipi setup will likely be a good go to. If not, check out the hilleberg tents.

Good Luck!

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
I think I've made up my mind to take a shot with the floorless and try my hand at making my own stove, I like to tinker anyway. What are the options for floorless. I've seen the kifaru tut and seek outside Cimarron talked about on here a lot, but that's about all I know of. Thanks