couple photos from our latest conditioning hike

myself, the wife and our dogs did a training hike last weekend. topped out at 7500. around 50lb packs with a little mountain house picnic up top.

Attachments

• slate peak 003.jpg
    slate peak 003.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 117
  • slate peak 002.jpg
    slate peak 002.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 112
  • slate peak 001.jpg
    slate peak 001.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 116
  • slate peak 004.jpg
    slate peak 004.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 109
OP
fillthefreezer
more from same

Attachments

• slate peak 007.jpg
    slate peak 007.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 41
  • slate peak 006.jpg
    slate peak 006.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 44
  • slate peak 008.jpg
    slate peak 008.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 41
  • slate peak 005.jpg
    slate peak 005.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 43

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome pics FTF, looks like a good time for sure! Way to make the pups pack their own stuff :D

dotman

WKR
Great pics, makes living in the midwest suck all that much more seeing them :)

What do you all put in the dog's packs? I want to take my lab with me on some overnight hikes next year and was just wondering what kind of things you bring fo them. She already comes with me everywhere the way it is, but I have strayed from any over night trips because of having to bring all the extra stuff she will need for two/three days in the mountains...

Awesome pictures!

IAHNTR

WKR
Looks like a great time and amazing photos. Do you mind if I use one of the scenery shots on my desktop? Thanks-

OP
fillthefreezer
What do you all put in the dog's packs? I want to take my lab with me on some overnight hikes next year and was just wondering what kind of things you bring fo them. She already comes with me everywhere the way it is, but I have strayed from any over night trips because of having to bring all the extra stuff she will need for two/three days in the mountains...

Awesome pictures!

they carry their food, their little first aid kit, one of those foldable bowls for food or water if we arent camped or resting near a water source, day hikes my big boy has carried an 18'er of beer on ice, rule of thumb is if you have a fit dog they should be able to carry 20-25% of their body weight all day no problem. my smallest dog goes about 85lbs with the other 2 being larger

they carry their food, their little first aid kit, one of those foldable bowls for food or water if we arent camped or resting near a water source, day hikes my big boy has carried an 18'er of beer on ice, rule of thumb is if you have a fit dog they should be able to carry 20-25% of their body weight all day no problem. my smallest dog goes about 85lbs with the other 2 being larger

Oh my goodness, never thought to use them to pack some brewski's along.. You are a thinker! I like it!!

Do you have any issues with their packs coming off of them? Do you spend much time tightening them up and re-adjusting them? Do you ever let them off the leash to run free? The reason I ask is because my lab is never on a leash. She goes off and stays within sight, always looking back for me to approve of her direction and distance, but she goes and goes and goes. If I hike 10-15 miles in a day looking for sheds, I'd bet she does 30-40! My fear is that the pack will eventually come loose, or is this not to be worried about?

OP
fillthefreezer
Do you have any issues with their packs coming off of them? Do you spend much time tightening them up and re-adjusting them? Do you ever let them off the leash to run free? The reason I ask is because my lab is never on a leash. She goes off and stays within sight, always looking back for me to approve of her direction and distance, but she goes and goes and goes. If I hike 10-15 miles in a day looking for sheds, I'd bet she does 30-40! My fear is that the pack will eventually come loose, or is this not to be worried about?

as long as you take care to balance the load you shouldnt have to mess with them. the red pack in XL and will carry alot but it kind of flops around if theres weight towards the bottom. it velcros to a vest so you can lift it off like horse saddle bags. ive had that bag like 5 years and its never come off on its own. its great for camp garbage throughout the trip too. the blue one is pretty new to me, its much sleeker and tighter fitting. i usually put like 1gal ziplock of food in each side or 1 liter of water per side if just day hiking or going to a rocky summit. it has like a chest yoke and works like a harness. i clip into it and the dog will almst pull me up hill. each pack has its better purpose but im happy with both. the red pack is too big for my shorter dog though, it hits her legs when she walks.

OP
fillthefreezer
my dogs do a lot of off leash work as well, they range ahead and back 30-40yds as well. i just dont let both adults run loose as they will turn into a pack when encountering game.

Its very similar to loading up a pack horse if you've ever done it or seen it done. You have to get the weight and height adjustment on each side of the dog just right so the pack can balance itself out. Dogs have fairly loose skin as you know and the pack will tend to roll or sway from side to side when the dog walks. I took my 1 year old 90 lb pit on my last hike up the ALW and loaded him up with his food, and a few beers he loved it! Didn't take him at all long to get used to the pack...

Mike