Couple questions about Bass Pro blackout arrows ... blowing up ... Nexus 2

philcox

WKR
Seeking some insight on a couple questions I have. Current setup is
  • Hoyt PowerMax @ 68#, 28.5DL
  • Arrow is Bass Pro Blackout X1 (Gold Tip Pro?), 443 gr, 3 fletch blazer, 125gr heads
I keep "blowing up" these arrows when they glance a tree, hit the dirt, etc. I try to practice long shots, obstacle shots, and other "real world" scenarios, hence I "miss" a reasonable amount.

Now the questions:
  1. Is the shatter/blow up of the arrow possibly a quality issue with the arrows? Or basically would any arrow (maybe not FMJ, but they would bend) have the same results. I am thinking that this "normal", but thought I'd ask. Note, I keep buying the Blackouts, because the $/arrow, especially if this is normal, is a lot better than buying brand names.
  2. I ordered a Prime Nexus 2. Assuming it is not the Blackout quality, is this a reasonable arrow to shoot, or have others found that other arrows are better out of that bow?
Experience is appreciated.

Phil

To answer your first question briefly, no, it's not normal for arrows to blow up from misses. I have plenty of arrows stuck in trees on my property and they didn't blow up. A lot of time the arrows need repair, but for the most part a quality arrow will be serviceable after a miss, depending obviously on what it hits.

Your second question is a little more complicated. Ultimately, you want to pair your arrow to your bow based on a lot of different factors. Type of shooting your doing (i.e. big game hunting, 3D, field archery etc.). Total arrow weight. Front of center ratio. Cross wind performance. Penetration. Draw weight. Draw length. Dynamic spine. Broadhead choice. Shaft diameter. Shaft material. These are just a few.

I have tried a lot of arrows. My preference for hunting arrows are Easton Axis, Easton Hexx, Black Eagle Spartan, and Black Eagle Carnivore.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
To answer your first question briefly, no, it's not normal for arrows to blow up from misses. I have plenty of arrows stuck in trees on my property and they didn't blow up. A lot of time the arrows need repair, but for the most part a quality arrow will be serviceable after a miss, depending obviously on what it hits.

Your second question is a little more complicated. Ultimately, you want to pair your arrow to your bow based on a lot of different factors. Type of shooting your doing (i.e. big game hunting, 3D, field archery etc.). Total arrow weight. Front of center ratio. Cross wind performance. Penetration. Draw weight. Draw length. Dynamic spine. Broadhead choice. Shaft diameter. Shaft material. These are just a few.

I have tried a lot of arrows. My preference for hunting arrows are Easton Axis, Easton Hexx, Black Eagle Spartan, and Black Eagle Carnivore.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Good to know on the arrow "issues".

For the use: Big Game Hunting is the goal. All other shooting I do, is in preparation for that. Elk, Mule Deer, and Black Bear are th3 3 main quarry.

My son, and others soot the Axis, I may give them a shot.

Thx.

87TT

WKR
I shoot Gold Tip Hunter Pro 300's Out of a 70# bow with 29.5 draw. I have broken arrows but usually after banging off a rock or something hard. I have bent the tip of aluminum inserts , field points and broadheads on them. Replaced them and kept shooting. I think they are as tough as most or all.

Pretty certain the blackout is a Gold Tip arrow. Might be built by gt to spec for bass pro, meaning it could have different grade fibers or different epoxy. The weights line up tho. I'd think it's likely the same arrow.

If they are indeed gt hunters and you are blowing up a lot of them, I'd say it's what you are hitting. They aren't bullet proof, but they are pretty good. A glancing shot is hard on any arrow, it causes the point to kick but frequently the impact is halfway up the shaft, which snaps it.

Seeking some insight on a couple questions I have. Current setup is
  • Hoyt PowerMax @ 68#, 28.5DL
  • Arrow is Bass Pro Blackout X1 (Gold Tip Pro?), 443 gr, 3 fletch blazer, 125gr heads
I keep "blowing up" these arrows when they glance a tree, hit the dirt, etc. I try to practice long shots, obstacle shots, and other "real world" scenarios, hence I "miss" a reasonable amount.

Now the questions:
  1. Is the shatter/blow up of the arrow possibly a quality issue with the arrows? Or basically would any arrow (maybe not FMJ, but they would bend) have the same results. I am thinking that this "normal", but thought I'd ask. Note, I keep buying the Blackouts, because the $/arrow, especially if this is normal, is a lot better than buying brand names.
  2. I ordered a Prime Nexus 2. Assuming it is not the Blackout quality, is this a reasonable arrow to shoot, or have others found that other arrows are better out of that bow?
Experience is appreciated.

Phil
I would black eagle outlaws, very durable and great more affordable arrow.

Zac

WKR
Hard to make that call if indeed the X1's are the same shaft as the GT Hunter Pro's.
Cabela's is the Walmart of the outdoor industry, people should be supporting their local proshop. Who knows what those arrows are.