Couple Questions about Montana

Joe5000

FNG
I am considering a Montana prairie trip this fall. It would be my first trip to hunting out west for upland. I am hopeful someone can help me with a few random but hopefully basic questions..

1. I am considering Sep or Oct and flexible on species. I just know I want to hunt "the prairies". If all I care about is putting myself in best situation for bird contacts, is there a better option in terms of sep vs oct etc?

2. I may supplement my trip with a few days guided. Any suggestions of people to contact?

3. How bad are the snakes? I live on the east coast, my dog has no experience with snake avoidance.

Thank you

skierhs

WKR
I don’t know of guides but depending on the weather the snakes can be real bad. If your in October/colder temps I wouldn’t be too worried about them but the earlier the worse it may be.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
The opening day for pheasants in Montana is October 10th, so unless you're only planning on hunting grouse October would be better for you.

-- Scott

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
Thank you. I am fine just going after grouse. I just wnat the best chance of my young dog getting bird contacts. Not sure how concerned I should be with snakes...have zero experience with western snakes...

WCB

WKR
I would personally go mid to late October...better chance for cooler weather. More enjoyable for you and the dog. If you are hunting an area where Pheasants are possible that would up your odds of running into birds. Also, cooler weather will help with the snake part.

running into snakes can be dependent on area also...so hard to say. I know even from year to year there can be big differences in snake encounters. While guiding big game in central and SW MT, between 4 guides we didn't see a snake for 3 years in a row. 4th year we killed 5 in a couple weeks. So before that 4th year I would not have hesitated to hunt that area with dogs.

jhim

FNG
I have only had 4 bird seasons in Montana and I have yet to see a snake during the season. Maybe I am just lucky, or maybe I am just blind. I'm more worried about my dogs trying to make friends with a porcupine.

Reactions: WCB
Porcupines are a bigger worry I believe. My grandpa dog has had at least 4 trips to the headlock and pliers...

I don’t think he’s ever bothered with snake avoidance training.

'Prairie hunting' to me means sharptails and huns, and for that, earlier is better - especially if you have a young dog. Sharptails are still in family groups and 'dumb' in early September, but they get educated quick...
Snakes depend on where you hunt, but they are certainly on the landscape.