Couple questions about sleeping bags

Are certain bags better for side sleepers? Google didn’t help a ton with that. Looks like maybe a spoon shape would be best or maybe just a wider mummy.
Also, could you run a 0 rated when it’s say 40 out by just unzipping it? Or would you be better off trying to cover more temps with day a 15 - 20 degree bag?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A wider mummy bag generally works best for side sleepers

Yes vent it , or use it just like a blanket when it’s warm .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Without a doubt, get a mummy bag and you'll never look back.

Do your homework though. There's plenty of bags that are advertised for one temperature rating that I wouldn't trust within 15° of that temperature. You might just find that you'll want to forgo venting your 0° bag at 40°. I think somewhere on this site Robby Denning did a review of some bags where he takes on the ratings they have and actually field tested them in the conditions one might encounter on a hunt.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Without a doubt, get a mummy bag and you'll never look back.

Do your homework though. There's plenty of bags that are advertised for one temperature rating that I wouldn't trust within 15° of that temperature. You might just find that you'll want to forgo venting your 0° bag at 40°. I think somewhere on this site Robby Denning did a review of some bags where he takes on the ratings they have and actually field tested them in the conditions one might encounter on a hunt.

Agreed some are not rated true .. usually you get what you pay for.

The other thing is how well you are doing .. going to bed real cold and hungry is likely going to result in the bag not seeming as warm as it should

ianpadron

WKR
Are certain bags better for side sleepers? Google didn’t help a ton with that. Looks like maybe a spoon shape would be best or maybe just a wider mummy.
Also, could you run a 0 rated when it’s say 40 out by just unzipping it? Or would you be better off trying to cover more temps with day a 15 - 20 degree bag?
Get a quilt. Aside from brutally cold conditions, they are better in every way.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I'm a side sleeper and have never liked mummy bags. I feel way too constricted. I think a bag with more a bit width in the chest and legs would work though. I'll roll over a dozen times in the middle of the night. I like some room.

I personally use a 10 degree quilt for anything between 10-50 degrees. If it's cold, I can layer up a bit and stuff extra clothes near my near my feet. The straps and a good insulated pad are critical. If it's warm, I don't even use the straps to and use it like a throw blanket.

It's hard to beat considering the weight and packability. Unless you have a stove, it's not something I would recommend for damp/wet hunts.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Bronc

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a side sleeper too, and hate mummy bags. I’ve been using a down Nemo spoon shaped bag. It’s way more comfortable for me than a mummy bag. It’s rated for 15 degrees, but anything below freezing would be pushing it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Im mostly a side sleeper and I really like the western mountaineering badger, I can roll around in it comfortably, I think the sequoia might be a step up in that department.

Side sleeper and hate mummys also, I use a hammock gear quilt and a Big Agnes insulated pad.

Quilts are binary. Some love them. Some don’t. I tend to unzip my bag and wear it as a quilt in all but the coldest temps. I experimented with an actual quilt. Just not for me when it gets really cold.

I am a bigger guy and a side sleeper.

Very happy with my recently acquired Nemo forte. Good shoulder room and crazy leg room. Quality is fine and function is there. The gills are neat. I expect it to last a long time with my usage level.

Western mountaineering seems to be the top of the heap for roomy down bags. Kifaru slick bags are a top shelf option for roomy synthetic. Both are spendy but well worth it by most accounts. If I was spending more time in the woods, I would upgrade to a WM badger or a wide long slick bag.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a few articles and reviews here on sleeping bags you might find helpful. Even a Rokcast .. ;)

Here is one: