Courts hit another poacher!

neb34

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like a fitting punishment, jail time makes no sense, will just delay the time it takes him to pay fines, for these violations I prefer fines, hopefully game and fish gets most of the money! Also the 5 year hunting ban is great, most states are reciprocal now so no hunting anywhere for the most part!

Well, he is now a convicted felon, so really he won't legally be able to hunt with a firearm anyway, (not like laws have meant anything to him in the past, but you get the idea) and it's a 15 year ban as part of his plea deal. I'm just glad they finally made an example(ish) out of a career offender...

willy

FNG
Does one really think revoking hunting rights will stop him, a poacher is a poacher, laws didn't apply before why will they later. Jail time, he won't be poaching then and big fine will hit them where it hurts.

neb34

Lil-Rokslider

It seems the other side is stepping up and taking control of the narrative.

Pretty sure there will be more to come, at least 3 more. 2 fairly large ones (have been mentioned on this board in a closed thread) and a couple with only a couple charges levied on them...

neb34

Lil-Rokslider

Bowmars update.

They are so noble they don't even gun hunt.

“We did hunt at Hidden Hills Outfitters, and yes there were things going on with some clients there that weren’t right, and there were some poaching violations obviously, but that doesn’t mean we were a part of that,” Josh Bowmar said.

“We hunted there for four years and averaged three to four (trips) per year and only have two whitetails to show for that,” he continued. “In four years? Do you guys really think if we were baiting and poaching deer that we would only have two bucks which, by the way, were some of our smallest deer ever. The answer is ‘no.’ We don’t have the success to back up the fact that we were quote, end quote, cheating. We weren’t cheating; we were doing it right. Jacob was doing it right with us. … We can prove our innocence.

“These are Class 3 misdemeanors,” Josh Bowmar said. “Literally, what they’re charging us with is no different than a speeding ticket. It’s the same level of misdemeanor. The only difference is it’s across state lines, and so that’s where things get squirrely with the Lacey Act, because now the Lacey Act is so abusive — and we’re fighting this — because literally … if you guys, and this is a great analogy, if you guys got a speeding ticket in a different state, well, let’s say you got a speeding ticket in your own state — $75 fine, sure — you go across state lines, now it’s a $250,000 fine and it’s a felony,” Josh Bowmar said.

“And five years in prison,” Sarah Bowmar added.

“It’s crazy!” Josh Bowmar continued. “So, this is insane. And we’re not even guilty. But we have to fight it to this level because that’s how ridiculous the Lacey Act is with all of this. So again, guys, we are innocent of these charges. …”

“Prove us guilty … I’ll help you tar and feather us. You know? Because we deserve it then. But, seriously, give us the chance to prove our innocence. … We have done everything right. We really have. I mean, look at our life. I’m not asking you to listen to what we say. Look how we are. We only bowhunt. We always give the animal the greatest chance of escape. I mean, because we literally don’t even gun-hunt. I mean, so if we’re ruthless killers just poachin’ animals, why do we make it harder on ourselves with only bowhunting? That doesn’t make any sense. Like there’s so many things that don’t make any sense. Just think about it. What is our motive to do this … we would cheat and shoot our smallest deer that we’ve ever shot? I mean, why? What’s the point? We don’t need it. It doesn’t make any sense, so please, just look at our lives. We’ve always done everything right; we try to do everything right, and please, just support us until this is over. …”

Last edited:

neb34

Lil-Rokslider

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is not going to be popular. It is a shame that the Lacey Act applies to situations like the Bowmars' - particularly the baiting allegations given that baiting is completely legal in many states (e.g., Kansas, Kentucky on private land, New Jersey, Oklahoma on private, etc.). Federal law should only apply when there is a federal interest in the actions at hand; if there's no federal interest in baiting in states where it's legal, there should be no federal interest in all states.

It's a travesty the federal government, federal law enforcement agencies, and the US Attorney's Office is wasting time on this matter when there are so many other higher priorities to spend our tax money and limited resources on.

With that said, if either Josh or Sarah are convicted, they should be sentenced consistent with the way others have been sentenced for the same offenses and should not receive more or less harsh punishment because of their celebrity status or because they exercised their rights for a trial.

Rob5589

WKR
Their "explanation" that they "only bow hunt," "shot their smallest deer," "are fighting this for all hunters," etc, is weak sauce. If you're innocent, you don't need to provide excuses
They also admitted to knowing something shady was happening on the property. Yet never did anything about it? And continued to return and hunt with HHO? Does anyone think it's a good idea to hunt on a property, with an outfitter, that you know is violating state game laws, when you're as well known as they are?

ETA: Can you please stop naming deer :rolleyes:

With that said, if either Josh or Sarah are convicted, they should be sentenced consistent with the way others have been sentenced for the same offenses and should not receive more or less harsh punishment because of their celebrity status or because they exercised their rights for a trial.

I always thought people agreed to plea bargains in part because it was a lesser punishment than was possible.. Obviously there is court costs to fight it as well.

Last edited:

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
I always thought people agreed to plea bargains in part because it was a lesser punishment than was possible.. Obviously there is sosts to fight it as well.
Yes. That is one reason. Other reasons are to reduce the charges, save on attorney fees, save your family the trauma of a trial, etc. Defendants typically get a benefit from plea deal on the sentence (we'll call that a discount). Folks who plead not guilty and require the prosecutor to prove the case do not typically get that same benefit discount. However, they should also not get a "markup" beyond the normal.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Their "explanation" that they "only bow hunt," "shot their smallest deer," "are fighting this for all hunters," etc, is weak sauce. If you're innocent, you don't need to provide excuses
They also admitted to knowing something shady was happening on the property. Yet never did anything about it? And continued to return and hunt with HHO? Does anyone think it's a good idea to hunt on a property, with an outfitter, that you know is violating state game laws, when you're as well known as they are?
Associating with shady people (or even known criminals) and hunting on their property is certainly bad judgment, but that doesn't mean their guilty also.

ETA: Can you please stop naming deer :rolleyes:
Amen.

Yes. That is one reason. Other reasons are to reduce the charges, save on attorney fees, save your family the trauma of a trial, etc. Defendants typically get a benefit from plea deal on the sentence (we'll call that a discount). Folks who plead not guilty and require the prosecutor to prove the case do not typically get that same benefit discount. However, they should also not get a "markup" beyond the normal.

Ok, we're aligned. Problem is it seems everyone else in this case just took their deal so they'll have to reference other similar cases.

It would only be fair that they don't get light or heavy handed for being hunting celebrities. Suing the USFW, going on a podcast to make them out to sound like creeps trying to watch your wife poppin a squat, and generally being a dbag about the whole deal - well that might be worthy of an upcharge.

Reactions: OMB

TheTone

WKR
The video was cringe worthy at best. I’d love to see the entire “hunting industry “ and influencer community cleaned up. Lots of people making money off hunting with current or past game violations and/or little to no experience that are making a very healthy living off companies

The video was cringe worthy at best. I’d love to see the entire “hunting industry “ and influencer community cleaned up. Lots of people making money off hunting with current or past game violations and/or little to no experience that are making a very healthy living off companies

Tried to watch the video, that ‘gram account appears to be deleted.. that’s not a good look.