Courts hit another poacher!

Bdjones

Lil-Rokslider
notice they didn't mention anything about the mule deer, or the turkeys, that are specifically named in the indictment....
I went and watched his long range mule deer kill in nebraska on youtube. Around the 9 min mark you can definitely tell the guide has a rifle in his back.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'm sure their defense attorneys appreciate the help.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I know this is not going to be popular. It is a shame that the Lacey Act applies to situations like the Bowmars' - particularly the baiting allegations given that baiting is completely legal in many states (e.g., Kansas, Kentucky on private land, New Jersey, Oklahoma on private, etc.). Federal law should only apply when there is a federal interest in the actions at hand; if there's no federal interest in baiting in states where it's legal, there should be no federal interest in all states.

It's a travesty the federal government, federal law enforcement agencies, and the US Attorney's Office is wasting time on this matter when there are so many other higher priorities to spend our tax money and limited resources on.

With that said, if either Josh or Sarah are convicted, they should be sentenced consistent with the way others have been sentenced for the same offenses and should not receive more or less harsh punishment because of their celebrity status or because they exercised their rights for a trial.

Disagree, when a guilty person refuses a deal and goes to trial they are wasting public resources and failing to show contrition. It is pretty customary for plea deals to be more lenient than sentences handed out at trial.

Edit: Someone already beat me to this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMB

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes. That is one reason. Other reasons are to reduce the charges, save on attorney fees, save your family the trauma of a trial, etc. Defendants typically get a benefit from plea deal on the sentence (we'll call that a discount). Folks who plead not guilty and require the prosecutor to prove the case do not typically get that same benefit discount. However, they should also not get a "markup" beyond the normal.

As everyone else has plead guilty so far no benchmark for normal on a not guilty plea has been set. All we have are "discounts" to compare it to.

Edit: Someone already covered this too. Sorry.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
As everyone else has plead guilty so far no benchmark for normal on a not guilty plea has been set. All we have are "discounts" to compare it to.
Not entirely true. The prosecutor and defense attorney would use other cases in this investigation as one data point, but also to other cases with similar fact patterns throughout the jurisdiction (in this case, the federal courts).

I have no doubt that part of the plea deals for the others include truthfully testifying against other defendants. That’s pretty standard. Hope they get what’s coming to them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure are a lot of awfully specific charges to be innocent of all...

Reading his defense is just sickening.
"Doing it for all the hunters."
"Line a speeding ticket."
"Look at how we live."
Etc.

Tired of these instafamous hunters doing whatever it takes to kill something and try to grow their "brand". If convicted, I wish the maximum sentence upon them.

neb34

Lil-Rokslider
Sure are a lot of awfully specific charges to be innocent of all...

Reading his defense is just sickening.
"Doing it for all the hunters."
"Line a speeding ticket."
"Look at how we live."
Etc.

Tired of these instafamous hunters doing whatever it takes to kill something and try to grow their "brand". If convicted, I wish the maximum sentence upon them.
I mean i will hold off all judgement until the verdict is out, but yes, very specific charges. I also find it odd they posted the video, im sure the DA will find it helpful...

The more is out there, the worse it looks. Being the CEO of a deer feed supplement company in partnership with the owner of HHO, who placed over 100,000 lbs of bait, but pleading ignorance. That’s rich.

We’re all flawed humans and have made poor choices. It’s the whole playing the victim card and the act like they are the noble ones fighting for hunters that turns me sour. Maybe this makes me a bad person but I hope all the little details come out, he spends a bunch on a lawyer, and still gets made an example out of.

Trial153

WKR
The Lacey act adds teeth to charges like this. Unfortunately money is mitigating factor in most things but with federal charges, while it wont negate that fact does lessen it. In any event I hope they have their day in court and justice is served regardless of the out come. No matter what happens this like all similar crimes and violations are stain on us all.

Regaurding the Bowmar's

Does anyone know why they keep pushing their court hearing back?

What happened with it?

Last I heard they were suppose to have their day in court on the 18th but I have seen nothing on it since.

DudeBro

Lil-Rokslider
Regaurding the Bowmar's

I can’t say for sure in this case, but delay is a tactic that generally benefits the defense. Among other things, witnesses are less reliable as time passes.

TheTone

WKR
hoping to get in hunts they already had scheduled before a potential license revocation?

neb34

Lil-Rokslider
Regaurding the Bowmar's

What happened with it?

Last I heard they were suppose to have their day in court on the 18th but I have seen nothing on it since.
their lawyer kept filing for extensions, finally had to have pretrial motions in by the 18th, which they did (a whole bunch of motions to suppress evidence, and a motion to dismiss criminal case) but filed it wrong or something and now have an extension to file it correctly by the 27th.

jmez

WKR
Regaurding the Bowmar's

What happened with it?

That is how our legal system works. It will be another year for this to get to a courtroom, if it ever does.

If you got the money to pay an attorney to kick the can down then I guess thats great.

For me, if it was me and I was 100% innocent I would want the court date moved up and my name cleared ASAP. I wouldn't be kicking the can down the road.

They are starting to appear like they are guilty of something for stalling so long.