covering a muzzle break in the field

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I just put a muzzle break on my 300 and I'm going to alaska in september. in the past I just put duct tape over the end of the barrel. Do you people with muzzle breaks just duct tape the entire break to keep debris out or do you do something different?
TIA

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
A friend of mine covers his muzzle brake with those novelty grenade-shaped water balloons in the field. It seems to work.

AKSandman

FNG
I use electrical tape. It’s waterproof, stick well and doesn’t leave a residue. Wrap an extra foot or two around your barrel somewhere and then you can use it to rewrap your muzzle after you shoot.

You could also get all fancy and buy one of the rubber barrel covers like this:

If it was me Id shy away from duct tape on your muzzle break as it could become a pita to clean sticky residue out of all the holes.

You can make a sleeve out of duct tape that isn't actually adhered to the barrel or muzzle device. Put the first layer of tape sticky side out, then wrap the next layer sticky side to sticky side. It may take a few tries to get it right but once you do, it's a nice snug sleeve that you can take off and back on easily in the field.

OXN939

WKR
Whichever of the above you do, I highly recommend a practice rep or two removing it beforehand. On the X is a bad time to figure out that it gets snagged on a brake that's greater than the diameter of your barrel or to forget to remove it at all.

OutHeavy

FNG
For those with experience in this area, if you wrap the entire break with tape do the gases produced by discharging a round blow through every vent? If not, doesn't that eliminate the effectiveness of a break?

tdot

WKR
I use electrical tape and it blows off of every vent hole. If it didn't, I'd consider it a sign that the brake or atleast that port that doesn't clear the tape isn't that effective.

Last edited:
for what it's worth, you could probably use some cheap airsoft/paintball barrel sock, given that they usually have retention and stow easily

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
Just wrap it with electric tape and forget about it.. don't try and remove it before the shot just shoot it with it on. Then re wrap it after you shoot. I do this all the time. Doesn't change poi. People way over think this simple solution.
You couldn’t be more right! This is what I did before I added the break and I have no idea why I’m worrying about it just because I have the break. Haha just paranoia

JakeSCH

WKR
Electrical tape using without adhesive touching barrel. If the shot is sub 400y, I do not remove the tape. However if I am taking a longer shot, the tape comes off because it doesn't add a significant amount of time to my routine since I am ranging, going prone, and dialing up.

Jo83ben

FNG
Do you find that shooting through the tape affects accuracy at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Electrical tape using without adhesive touching barrel. If the shot is sub 400y, I do not remove the tape. However if I am taking a longer shot, the tape comes off because it doesn't add a significant amount of time to my routine since I am ranging, going prone, and dialing up.
Why are you taking it off? It doesn't affect anything.

JakeSCH

WKR
Why are you taking it off? It doesn't affect anything.

Just reading, "it doesn't affect anything" online does not make it valid without doing your own personal tests. That is the same is only practicing at 200y but taking a shot at an animal at 600y. I consider it unethical, too many things can go wrong when you have practiced let along going beyond what you have tested yourself.

Until I do POI comparisons past 400y I will not leave it on at that distance.

It would be great to see extensive testing across multiple calibers / rifles at 1000y to validate "it doesn't affect anything". This testing should include no muzzle break, with radial breaks, and side port breaks along with various extreme temps.

I just use a balloon. Same for everyone I know. You can find them everywhere, they're cheap, don't leave a residue, and they're light.

How have they held up in extreme cold? I've had the condom style ones become brittle and fall apart in single digit weather.