covering a muzzle break in the field

I see what you're saying. Past 400 yards, you not only have time to remove it, but any minor effect it might have on the bullet impact will be magnified at that distance, so you don't want to take any chances. Makes sense to me. Since most of my shooting will be less than 300 yards, I don't think it will affect it, so I leave the electrical tape on.

I have a radial brake on my .340 Weatherby. I use electrical tape on it, and it blows off when firing the rifle. I have not noticed any effect on the shot placement, but I haven't shot past 300 yards with it.
I have tried barrel cots in the past, but don't find them as durable as the electrical tape. The barrel cots get torn off when moving through the brush, especially when the rifle is slung over the shoulder (with the barrel pointing up). The brush really seems to catch the end of the barrel, and rips the barrel cot off, but the electrical tape is unaffected. After firing, I notice some small pieces of the tape remain on the exterior of the brake/barrel, but they are easily removed scraping with my fingernail, or some Hoppes #9 when I clean my rifle.

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
you are shooting to get ready, right? just test your set up.

i have always taped the muzzle and never lost an animal, but also i have never had a shot over 200 yd.

last year i did test some small caliber [ 6 mm BR] ammo with lighter bullets and i can show that tape did enlarge the group.

larger hunting calibers have not shown to be affected with tape over the muzzle. every rifle is different and the only way to know for sure is to test your rifle.