Covid-19 Alaska

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
What's everyone's thoughts on how Covid-19 will effect the fall hunting seasons in Alaska? How likely is it that AK shuts down bou, moose, and bear to nonresidents? If hunting season are canceled should outfitters and charter services allow you to apply your deposit to a later year?

We have a drop hunt planned for Sept and we've been told that our deposit is not refundable/transferable if seasons are cancelled. I can see the argument from both sides just hoping things are looking up by this fall.

I believe spring bear was closed to NRs but I thought it was opening back up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
Most of Alaska is back to "normal" as of last weekend. I have a friend from WA that is coming up in September and October for moose and elk hunting. If need be then he will quarantine at hunting camp for two weeks. I believe that without a significant flare up or incident that you should be fine.

"What I think will happen"......"What actually happens"....

In just over a month a lot of people (including me) learned just how far apart these two things may be. Coming at it from a different angle: None of us should be the least surprised by the occurrence of events that people say could or will never happen. The pandemic has illustrated that point beyond perfection.

So my opinion on Alaska is that nonresident hunting will be a go this fall. I can find plenty of reasons to support that. At the same time, I'll admit that a virulent speck of protein and a few politicians (in combination) are things I can't accurately predict and have no control over. So I also have a backup plan in case the hunt fails. It doesn't involve hunting and I won't really worry if it comes to this.

Wapiti1

WKR
As of a week or so ago, a call to AK fish and game got a response that quarantine in camp would be a go. Then they came out with the latest "rules" and that isn't OK, thou shalt quarantine for 14 days prior to recreating.

So, Kevin is spot on. Have a plan A and a plan B thru F.

As for the deposit paid, etc, some outfits will work with you and others won't. Most have a contract and stick to that if things go super pear shaped. Each will have their unique situation to consider and have to act as best they can. I would see many working with you, but you have to keep in mind the deposit is working capital for them.

I have a deposit in for a fall hunt, and balance due around July 1. I'm not due a refund of the deposit and won't ask for it. When the final payment is due, we'll talk and make a plan based on what is happening then. That is a long time from now, and things will be much more settled.

Jeremy

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
I hope the hunt is a go and a 14 day self quarantine is not necessary. I don't think I will be able to swing a whole month away from my family and work.

A couple of things you can do to get a better picture.
Determine if the Borough your hunt takes place in requires a Covid Response Plan.
Lake and Peninsula and Bristol Bay do. knowing what the plan is will give you a better idea what to expect by August.
initially we were going to have to quarantine our guests for two weeks, now we don’t have to but no stops in town, from the airport to the lodge.
guides have to record their temperature every day, we have to build a stand alone facility in case we have a Covid, that kind of thing.
Most people think the quarantine will go away June 2, hope so.
Contracts are contracts. Many of the lodges said the hell with it, canceled their season as people were not signing up due to the uncertainty created. Thankful most of our guests hung on.
For you guys planning to hunt my guess is you’ll have a real good picture by the 4th of July. The commercial fishing season is just getting started. Places like King Salmon, population about 500, will grow to 5000 in the next week or two. By the 4th those crews will have been in place for at least two weeks. If there is no significant outbreak my money is on you having a great hunt.

Governor is giving an update today on the 14 day quarantine. If I had a hunting trip planned, I would want them to push lifting that thing back another month or two. Yesterday we had our most daily cases since March. And June and July are the two months a lot of Alaskans chose not to “social distance” (fishing in Seward, Homer, Russian, Kenai, Klutina, DippingCopper, Dipping Kenai, Slime Lines, etc).

Try not to stress about it, we can all give our thoughts on it, but we’ve all learned they mean nothing. I think it will be a go for nonresident licenses this fall. But there is still potential for village mandates. There are a million “what if’s” so don’t kill yourself thinking about it.

OP
Josh86

Josh86

Lil-Rokslider
Governor is giving an update today on the 14 day quarantine. If I had a hunting trip planned, I would want them to push lifting that thing back another month or two. Yesterday we had our most daily cases since March. And June and July are the two months a lot of Alaskans chose not to “social distance” (fishing in Seward, Homer, Russian, Kenai, Klutina, DippingCopper, Dipping Kenai, Slime Lines, etc).

Try not to stress about it, we can all give our thoughts on it, but we’ve all learned they mean nothing. I think it will be a go for nonresident licenses this fall. But there is still potential for village mandates. There are a million “what if’s” so don’t kill yourself thinking about it.
Our plan is to move forward as if everything is a go until we hear otherwise. 🤞

Tom_

Lil-Rokslider
Good news for those of us with Summer/Fall plans on heading to Alaska. Get tested prior to your trip or get tested at the airport in Alaska. I'll get tested prior to the trip to save time and have results in hand. From the Alaska Daily News.

Raypo

Lil-Rokslider
Good news for those of us with Summer/Fall plans on heading to Alaska. Get tested prior to your trip or get tested at the airport in Alaska. I'll get tested prior to the trip to save time and have results in hand. From the Alaska Daily News.

The problem is the timing. You might now have the results back when you land in Alaska and you can’t test before 72 hours before landing. Then you have to wait in a secured terminal (I think) until the results return. I’m trying to book a moose trip but I’m scared.

LostArra

WKR
The 72 hour window from departure is too short especially for those in the lower 48 who may not be able to fly to Alaska in one day.

I bet they aren't holding anyone in a secured terminal.

CHL

Lil-Rokslider
Check flights because you probably can get to AK in a one day period now hopefully. I’m in the Southeast and I’m a flight to ATL then direct from there to Anchorage. Used to I had to stop in Seattle or Salt Lake. I fly 170 flights/year with my job and I’ve noticed most airlines have cut out some stops to the far northwest and are now traveling direct from larger hubs. Fingers crossed we all get to travel to AK in the upcoming months for sure.

So get tested as close to the 72 hour window you can, get tested at the airport, takes about five minutes. Then enjoy your visit.
so far most of our guests have been able to get tested with in the 72 hour window. A couple have been tested at ANC, again it took about five minutes. Pretty simple so far. Let’s hope it works.

EastMT

WKR
I’ll be flying up in August to get my truck and trailer, hopefully the testing rule holds instead of 14 day quarantine, as I have to hit the road as soon as I get there.

VernAK

WKR
No indication of Yukon Territory relaxing restrictions and I've heard a few rumors of YT extending covid travel restrictions.

tuffcity

WKR
No indication of Yukon Territory relaxing restrictions and I've heard a few rumors of YT extending covid travel restrictions.

US/CAN border opening is federally controlled and YT doesn't have any say on international travel. Travel between BC and YT is supposed to resume July 1.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I heard today the border closure was jointly extended until July 21st

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk