COVID-19 and Hunting/Fishing Travel

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
...Perhaps, this has already been discussed ad nauseam but I am very curious to hear any predications that you guys have regarding the "effect" that the "pandemic" will have on this year's hunting seasons/travel. To avoid redundancy, lets start with two underlying assumptions: #1 Tags will be distributed as normal/the big game seasons will go on as planned (no reason to believe otherwise) and #2 Recreating in wide open spaces (i.e. hunting/fishing) is a great form of "social distancing".

Personally, I would be shocked if the hunting/fishing communities didn't see a noticeable effect from all of this mess. Maybe the "effect" is simply a general decrease in discretionary income (making an out of state trip less feasible) for the average American hunter. Or perhaps travel restrictions that extend longer than anticipated (perhaps more of an issue for guys operating outside the Lower 48). Maybe it goes in the opposite direction and we see a large increase of guys/gals in the woods---as they look to escape their homes. I am curious to hear some opinions.

Are any of you guys having to postpone (or considering postponing) upcoming hunts/fishing trips as a result of the on-going Coronavirus situation?

***As I write this I am thinking about all the bonefish I was supposed to be catching in the Bahamas next week! :(

Based on the latest models, the peak here in the U.S. is expected to be June July, with a down turn in cases after that, then another peak. The second peak will be during typical hunting seasons. I suspect travel will be limited as it is now. So I plan on hunting local as I suspect any non-essential travel will be restricted. Lets hope I am wrong.

Scoutman

FNG
I would not be surprised if the liberal ran states cancelled hunting seasons as to keep non-resident hunters from coming in, contributes to their non-hunting, weapons agenda, as well as a request of government funds for loss of revenue due to their decisions. Common sense is no where to be found these days in any decision making for the most part, just watch the news.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
It's a bit early to forecast September. We can't even figure out next week.

I'm betting it'll be travel as usual, but stingy hunters after sitting unemployed for a few months.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I hope it’s travel as usual outside of US into Canada. I’ve been planning a trip to BC for two years and from the research I’ve done travel insurances are not covering a border closure.

Poser

WKR
There definitely could be impact on traveling to hunt, however, I doubt it will be hunting specific, more just through general travel restrictions with quarantine requirements much like many states are enacting at this moment. Hunting locally will unlikely be effected.

I saw some guys in a hunting FB group discussing their plans to turkey hunt in multiple midwestern states and then Head to MT to spring bear hunt. I’ll venture to say that under present conditions, traveling any significant distance to pursue a hobby is both frivolous and selfish.

Move the elections to May 12, this thing will be back burner the next day.

No doubt hunting will be affected. Look at all the spring bear hunts down the tubes.

bts

FNG
Guessing we wont be able to get to Canada to hunt bear. Maybe they will be bigger next year;)

I would not be surprised if the liberal ran states cancelled hunting seasons as to keep non-resident hunters from coming in, contributes to their non-hunting, weapons agenda, as well as a request of government funds for loss of revenue due to their decisions. Common sense is no where to be found these days in any decision making for the most part, just watch the news.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Not sure anyone wants to hunt states run by liberals (WA, OR, CA)... maybe CO is the one you were thinking?

Who knows? Maybe that stimulus check and 100% unemployment benefits will buy some nice tags?

I live out west and will still be hunting this year, even if I'm confined to my back yard. I would guess that lots of folks will be hamstrung though, even if it is just your wife all in your ear.

It's already wrecked my spring bear and turkey plans...I can normally work out of satellite offices and hunt weekends by doing the road trip approach. Those satellite offices are shut down due to state shutdowns and corporate shutdowns.

Poser

WKR
I’m seeing so much chatter on FB groups about traveling to hunt turkey and spring bear that I almost wonder if spring NR tags shouldn’t be retracted and refunded. A scroll of FB hunting groups implies that too many of these assholes lack the restraint to stay home during a global crisis. MT residents have been ordered to stay at home, but guys are going to travel there from other states, at a minimum, stopping at gas stations along the way, but likely drive thrus as well, just to go hunting? That makes no sense.

3ef681aaa49829cace855507fdac6018.jpg

gbflyer

WKR
Pretty sure the Spring 2020 bear hunting for our out of state guests here in AK is history as is the spring/summer fishing season. Hopefully they’ll be able to salvage something of a season in the Fall, but if there’s another peak then AK will shut down again. We have no choice really considering how spread out we are and our hospital capacity is minimal. If I had any sort of plans doing hunting or fishing here I would be on the phone hoping to reschedule. Hard to say what will happen with limited tag holders, might be S-O-L.

My advice would be not to get too worked up about it and take care of your family. There will be another time to be afield.

Elk97

WKR
WA just cancelled youth turkey hunt and spring bear hunting.

Spring youth turkey hunt canceled, bear season to remain closed for now

Stay Home, Stay Healthy actions to reduce the spread of COVID-19

OLYMPIA - The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) today announced a decision to cancel the youth turkey hunt previously scheduled for April 4-5. In addition, six game management units (GMUs) that were scheduled to open on April 1 for spring bear hunting will now be closed pending further evaluation and could reopen if conditions allow.

The Department is taking these steps to limit the spread of coronavirus/COVID-19 per Washington Gov. Jay Inslee's order to Stay Home, Stay Healthy.

Many in the public have shared disappointment tied to previous public land and resource closures, pointing to exercise as an exemption. WDFW Director Susewind understands the need to spend time outdoors but notes that while hunting itself can be a solitary activity, many people have to travel from urban to rural areas to enjoy it.

"Every stop for gas, food, or a restroom break can introduce the virus to areas it hasn't yet reached," said Susewind. "It was a tough decision, but we want to ensure that people are properly encouraged to stay home at this time."

Dumbies like that might ruin it for the rest of us. We’re under lockdowns because a lot of idiots like that would be out at the bars right now if we weren’t

adieatrick

Lil-Rokslider
We cancelled our fishing trip next week. Nebraska is saying if you travel outside of the state that you should self quarantine for 2 weeks upon returning. I can't take 2 weeks off of work for that...I also worry about how your insurance would respond? If you willingly leave and go somewhere and come home and do not self isolate and you infect someone else, what repercussions would that have? I have heard people say they won't know where you got it, but every case here is investigated to determine if it is community spread or not. It wouldn't surprise me if officials didn't utilize cellphone pings to determine if you were anywhere other than where you said. Not worth the risk IMO.

Hunting, yeah it's the problem. Remote areas no contact..... oh someone might catch something from the gas pumps get real.

I can honestly say there are many that would say we're doomed from the first Whitecaps over the bow,.

Nothing but politics now.

Poser

WKR
Hunting, yeah it's the problem. Remote areas no contact..... oh someone might catch something from the gas pumps get real.

I can honestly say there are many that would say we're doomed from the first Whitecaps over the bow,.

Nothing but politics now.

You’re not thinking this all of the way through.
Thru hikers and backcountry skiers are being told to stay home, too. Why? Because if they need a rescue in a remote area, then they are going to require SAR efforts from a limited medical staff who will have no choice but to be in close proximity to the individual and each other. Furthermore, you’ll end up using the medical services of a tiny town in BFE. A backcountry skier has to be rescued close to here recently and it required the efforts of 30 people.

So, Billy-Wannbe-Baddass who believes this is all a sham drives from MI to MT to spring Bear Hunt. How many times does he stop for gas? How many times does he stop to take a shit? You damn well he ends up grabbing some food from a drive thru. He disobeys MT’s 14 day quarantine. He break his ankle in the backcountry after punching through some spring snow into a log jam. He requires a rescue, he stays in a small town hospital. He can’t drive home with a broken ankle so someone either has to come pick him up, he flies home or he waits it out, in which case he stays in a hotel. How many resources did he use? How many people did he come in contact with? This is why Billy-Wannabe-Badass needs to sit his fat ass at home listening to Ted Nugent and writing conspiracy theories on FB rather than go spring bear 2,000 miles away.