COVID-19 and Hunting/Fishing Travel

Lawnboi

WKR
I canceled my trip for the spring. I don’t totally agree with it but pretty hard to argue with traveling to hunt with the shelter in place orders.

I wouldn’t bag on a guy for getting out In the woods. We can what if things all day. I chose not to travel not because of where I’m going, or what I’m doing. I’m not going anywhere because of the shelter in place orders out, along with that I’d be worried if something happened to my wife while I’m out in the middle of nowhere.

Anyways this stay at home stuff is all a day late and dollar short. We have community spread in small town WI, it’s everywhere.

Scoutman

FNG
The spread was inevitable, gonna run it's course as the past flu viruses have. Negativity is what's being pushed for now, about death not survival rates,etc. Take care.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
We cancelled a family fishing trip - aint gonna happen, not with aged folks and others flying in.

We'll see what fall brings - Bought a pref point and will hopefully get to go next year. Might hunt local if can draw a permit.

I'm definitely willing to give up a season in order to avoid this thing.

The whole media thing is what they do with hurricane season down here. A tropical storm forms and suddenly they are flashing images of 30 ft tall waves, screaming children, and wind blowing roofs off. The theory is that if they don't people won't prepare and there will be more casualties.

You’re not thinking this all of the way through.
Thru hikers and backcountry skiers are being told to stay home, too. Why? Because if they need a rescue in a remote area, then they are going to require SAR efforts from a limited medical staff who will have no choice but to be in close proximity to the individual and each other. Furthermore, you’ll end up using the medical services of a tiny town in BFE. A backcountry skier has to be rescued close to here recently and it required the efforts of 30 people.

So, Billy-Wannbe-Baddass who believes this is all a sham drives from MI to MT to spring Bear Hunt. How many times does he stop for gas? How many times does he stop to take a shit? You damn well he ends up grabbing some food from a drive thru. He disobeys MT’s 14 day quarantine. He break his ankle in the backcountry after punching through some spring snow into a log jam. He requires a rescue, he stays in a small town hospital. He can’t drive home with a broken ankle so someone either has to come pick him up, he flies home or he waits it out, in which case he stays in a hotel. How many resources did he use? How many people did he come in contact with? This is why Billy-Wannabe-Badass needs to sit his fat ass at home listening to Ted Nugent and writing conspiracy theories on FB rather than go spring bear 2,000 miles away.

You're looking at this from a worse case scenario perspective. How many people travel out West every year, never break an ankle, don't need a rescue, etc? Tons! So everyone stay out of the back country why? Because "Just in case something happens". Then lets say that Johnny does fall through and break his leg. What are the chances he has the Corona Virus? LOW!

The spread of this thing is well documented. Hand contact with nose, mouth, or eyes. Do you think people are ignoring that these days? Maybe some, but it's low. Don't believe me, take a walk outside and watch people dodge you. Your pull over to take a dump scenario again, doesn't hold. Open door, go to the bathroom, wash your hands and move on no worse for wear for anyone.

Scoutman

FNG
No one knows what next 120 days will bring. What we do know is where we have been, flu virus introduced to global population, widespread panic after 2 weeks cause 2 trillion dollar bailout, stimulus before any real necessity, didn't even see if population could handle anything, toilet paper, paper towel shortage proved that. Concentration only death tolls, not recovery numbers. More have perished from accidents, normal health reasons since beginning but that doesn't promote panic, agenda,etc. There will be loss of life, can't stop it, period. It could happen to any of us. What you need to ask yourself is who is watching the reaction? Wait 6-8 months release another virus, get another influx of money, they don't have, so and so on. Eventually we are all gonna have to face something, our forefathers did, it's out there for all to see. Just a observation.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I have an AK caribou hunt planned this fall. A fly-in unguided trip. I have a contract signed and $1250 deposit paid. As of now I plan to go, but I am ok with not going if that is the smart thing to do. I’m going to stay in contact with my transporter and get his thoughts as this plays out. The deposit is listed as non-refundable in the contract I signed, and none of this is the transporter's fault, so if I lose my deposit I'll be ok with it. If the trip can't happen and he lets me roll the deposit to a hunt next year I will be very appreciative. $1250 is a lot of money to me, but it's also a risk I accepted when I signed the contract. I'm not getting any younger so losing a year of hunting somewhere new would feel like a bigger loss to me than the money.

I'm not sad at all to have the money I saved up for the hunt right now either. I don't need it right now, but having it on top of my normal emergency fund certainly doesn't feel like a bad thing.

Bottom line is that if its reasonable to go on the hunt and I feel safe leaving my family for a couple weeks to do it I will go. If not I will stay home. I won't know for at least a couple months which is the better option so I'm not going to worry about it to much until then.

OP
el_jefe_pescado

el_jefe_pescado

Lil-Rokslider
You’re not thinking this all of the way through.
Thru hikers and backcountry skiers are being told to stay home, too. Why? Because if they need a rescue in a remote area, then they are going to require SAR efforts from a limited medical staff who will have no choice but to be in close proximity to the individual and each other. Furthermore, you’ll end up using the medical services of a tiny town in BFE. A backcountry skier has to be rescued close to here recently and it required the efforts of 30 people.

So, Billy-Wannbe-Baddass who believes this is all a sham drives from MI to MT to spring Bear Hunt. How many times does he stop for gas? How many times does he stop to take a shit? You damn well he ends up grabbing some food from a drive thru. He disobeys MT’s 14 day quarantine. He break his ankle in the backcountry after punching through some spring snow into a log jam. He requires a rescue, he stays in a small town hospital. He can’t drive home with a broken ankle so someone either has to come pick him up, he flies home or he waits it out, in which case he stays in a hotel. How many resources did he use? How many people did he come in contact with? This is why Billy-Wannabe-Badass needs to sit his fat ass at home listening to Ted Nugent and writing conspiracy theories on FB rather than go spring bear 2,000 miles away.

^^^Precisely...

I live and work in NW CO and it is my feeling we are truly looking at a double-edged sword with regards outdoor tourism moving forward. On the one hand, tourism is the cornerstone of our local economy (Steamboat Springs) and the $$$ brought in from visitors of all kinds is irreplaceable. But as you state Poser, if we don't get this right nationwide, the same individuals coming here to recreate can, unknowingly, place a huge strain on our fragile infrastructures. I hope that once the coast is clear we see a huge boom of folks chasing bucks & bulls here in Routt County because lord knows we will need the visitors...But that's just it, the coast is NOT clear and the clouds haven't parted yet.

...While we wait for this thing to slow down, I'm finding the number "#socialdistancing" posts on the internet to be ironic if not downright humorous. Particularly, those posts/pictures that have folks hiking, biking, skiing, hunting, fishing...you get the idea. And again, there is nothing inherently wrong with any of those pursuits. I would be lying, if I didn't mention that applying for tags and fishing a piece of river that is starting to open up behind my house has truly been a saving grace for me in the midst of all this madness. What grinds my gears, is when the recreation "needs" of individuals result in unnecessary/extended travel. It is even more ironic when those "needs" take you to a trailhead or riverbank that is three times as crowded as the office you were supposed to be avoiding for the next month.

I hope that people are by all means getting out there, but being prudent in their decision making at the same time. In my opinion, this is a great time to explore some of the opportunities in your own backyard.

Poser

WKR
You're looking at this from a worse case scenario perspective. How many people travel out West every year, never break an ankle, don't need a rescue, etc? Tons! So everyone stay out of the back country why? Because "Just in case something happens". Then lets say that Johnny does fall through and break his leg. What are the chances he has the Corona Virus? LOW!

The spread of this thing is well documented. Hand contact with nose, mouth, or eyes. Do you think people are ignoring that these days? Maybe some, but it's low. Don't believe me, take a walk outside and watch people dodge you. Your pull over to take a dump scenario again, doesn't hold. Open door, go to the bathroom, wash your hands and move on no worse for wear for anyone.

You’re making an entirely selfish case for a person to justify traveling across the country to kill a goddamn turkey when there is a global crisis going on. All it takes is one guy to have to call a rescue to trigger a series of flu spreading events and then possibly the entire SAR team is sick and out of commission. And, yes, in some cases it is “everyone stay out of the backcountry.” San Juan County Colorado has closed backcountry access to anyone not from that country (and requested locals stay out as well) for these very reasons.

mlgc20

WKR
Based on the latest models, the peak here in the U.S. is expected to be June July, with a down turn in cases after that, then another peak. The second peak will be during typical hunting seasons. I suspect travel will be limited as it is now. So I plan on hunting local as I suspect any non-essential travel will be restricted. Lets hope I am wrong.

Hey Bubble.

Can you point me to the model you're looking at that shows the peak in June/July? I have been looking at the models put together by the IHME (Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation) from the University of Washington. It shows this thing peaking in mid-April. I would like to take a look at the model you are referencing as well.

satchamo

WKR
Hunting, yeah it's the problem. Remote areas no contact..... oh someone might catch something from the gas pumps get real.

I can honestly say there are many that would say we're doomed from the first Whitecaps over the bow,.

Nothing but politics now.

This was my thought... hunting is completely compliant to all guidelines currently if you are solo...

There is alot of naysayers here... September is a long way off.

Felix40

WKR
Well Im going to be turkey hunting in about 15 days.

I also plan on driving to Colorado in September. Probably stop for gas three times. If thats enough to change the outcome of this whole thing then we are screwed anyway.

Hey Bubble.

Can you point me to the model you're looking at that shows the peak in June/July? I have been looking at the models put together by the IHME (Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation) from the University of Washington. It shows this thing peaking in mid-April. I would like to take a look at the model you are referencing as well.
From everything I have been reading, things have changed. Off the top of my head, I don´t recall exactly where I read it. I have been looking at several sources, yours, WHO... But the big thing is that the peak will depend on location within the U.S.

Poser

WKR
This was my thought... hunting is completely compliant to all guidelines currently if you are solo...

There is alot of naysayers here... September is a long way off.

I’m talking about traveling (now or in April, early May) for spring hunts. I see no real issue Hunting in your immediate locale and Fall hunting is far enough off that we don’t really know. I’ll be out turkey hunting 5 minutes from my house, but there are guys who planning to travel to multiple states to turkey hunt and people still intending to make 4,000 mile round trip drives to bear hunt.

mlgc20

WKR
From everything I have been reading, things have changed. Off the top of my head, I don´t recall exactly where I read it. I have been looking at several sources, yours, WHO... But the big thing is that the peak will depend on location within the U.S.

Thanks Bubble. You're right. The recovery from this will be location based. Hopefully sooner than later.

Scottyboy

WKR
I’ll be out turkey hunting, only because I can get to my spot without stopping and will be on private ground. I would be a little more hesitant if human interaction was involved, not that I’m trying to be overly dramatic, just being cautious with wife and 2x 3 yr olds at home.

Fingers crossed the state of Nebraska will let me in come October..

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
As much as I don't like saying this, EVERYONE must stay home to put a stop to this virus, everyone except in emergencies and to get food etc to sustain life. It is the only way to stop it and a hunting trip is not an emergency. I understand those who really want to go on a hunting trip, I'm one those who would like to as well but we just can't do it. I am 67 and my years of being able to hunt is closer to the end rather than the beginning for me but we owe it to our fellow man to follow the guidelines the experts are telling us. If you can hunt close to home go for it but if you have to travel stay home. There will be other hunting trips to experience in life don't jepordize your health or your families health by traveling when its not necessary .
wmd

As much as I don't like saying this, EVERYONE must stay home to put a stop to this virus, everyone except in emergencies and to get food etc to sustain life. It is the only way to stop it and a hunting trip is not an emergency. I understand those who really want to go on a hunting trip, I'm one those who would like to as well but we just can't do it. I am 67 and my years of being able to hunt is closer to the end rather than the beginning for me but we owe it to our fellow man to follow the guidelines the experts are telling us. If you can hunt close to home go for it but if you have to travel stay home. There will be other hunting trips to experience in life don't jepordize your health or your families health by traveling when its not necessary .
wmd

I went out the other day to one of my local hunting spots in the National Forest. I parked on a little dirt turnout. I did not see another single person at the turnout or during my hike. So we can get out responsibly; granted our ability to get out responsibility is limited.

PMcGee

WKR
I’m talking about traveling (now or in April, early May) for spring hunts. I see no real issue Hunting in your immediate locale and Fall hunting is far enough off that we don’t really know. I’ll be out turkey hunting 5 minutes from my house, but there are guys who planning to travel to multiple states to turkey hunt and people still intending to make 4,000 mile round trip drives to bear hunt.

So what’s the acceptable distance to drive to hunt? What happens if you get in an accident 5 minutes from your house and need medical attention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Turkeys, Bears, Fishing,
You’re making an entirely selfish case for a person to justify traveling across the country to kill a goddamn turkey when there is a global crisis going on. All it takes is one guy to have to call a rescue to trigger a series of flu spreading events and then possibly the entire SAR team is sick and out of commission. And, yes, in some cases it is “everyone stay out of the backcountry.” San Juan County Colorado has closed backcountry access to anyone not from that country (and requested locals stay out as well) for these very reasons.

We can agree to disagree on this. Being in the outdoors away from other people is the meaning of Social Distancing. Sad place right now.