COVID-19 and Hunting/Fishing Travel

VTJ

FNG
everything is open as of today 3-31-20 here in Indiana, only a few restrictions for state ranges, or fishing tournaments and federal boat launches … we are not on lock down, just a distancing restriction …. all the info can be found on this site I posted

Poser

WKR
So what’s the acceptable distance to drive to hunt? What happens if you get in an accident 5 minutes from your house and need medical attention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your county, perhaps? (At least one state has defined the limitations on exercising/ outdoor dec as just that). Or maybe the equivalent distances you drive for essential services anyway? Definitely not through multiple states.

Poser

WKR
Turkeys, Bears, Fishing,

We can agree to disagree on this. Being in the outdoors away from other people is the meaning of Social Distancing. Sad place right now.

Agree to disagree that traveling across the country at this moment in time to hunt turkeys or bear is reasonable and acceptable? No, I won’t agree to disagree on that point. I’ll keep disagreeing.

PMcGee

WKR
Your county, perhaps? (At least one state has defined the limitations on exercising/ outdoor dec as just that). Or maybe the equivalent distances you drive for essential services anyway? Definitely not through multiple states.

So what if you need medical attention? That was one of your big points in your previous post. Is that okay because you’re only 5 minutes from home. Fact is if someone drives from the east coast out west to hunt it will have very little to no impact on the current situation.

ColoradoV

WKR
I dont think Poser makes the rules :LOL:..

All the whining in the world will not make a difference by those that are so self centered they cant see this is bigger than hunting right now. So you boys are sayin you are willing to risk our elderly population up here just so you can go hunt?? Yea right see how long that dog hunts.. YOU boys are making non residents look flat stupid period! Oh yea it is everyone else that is the problem not ME....

Keep it up fella's and guys like you - who are no doubt the problem - will make sure that only locals are hunting. I can say for a fact that the locals here in Colorado are getting real tired of folks coming up to "social distance".. SAR is getting real tired of folks "social distancing", sheriffs are getting real tired of tourons "soical distancing", and county commissioners are getting real sick of guess what "social distancing" by folks coming up to the mountains and one way or another they will soon stop it.. Yea we dont want you around = stay home and be if you can responsible period!

If you are from out of state at this point your only hope is that this thing to get under control by mid July or the no doubt 100% the county sheriffs will do the right thing and all the whining and crying in the world will not change it..

Poser

WKR
So what if you need medical attention? That was one of your big points in your previous post. Is that okay because you’re only 5 minutes from home. Fact is if someone drives from the east coast out west to hunt it will have very little to no impact on the current situation.

We’re not talking about “someone”, though, we are talking about potentially THOUSANDS of people driving from one state to another just to go hunting. The point is, if it’s ok for you to go on a multi State turkey hunt right now, then it’s ok for everyone else who likes to hunt to go on a multi-state turkey hunt road trip right now. And while, ideally, SAR and similar first responder and medical are not stressed or forced into proximity beyond unavoidable circumstances at this moment, presumably your local resources are appropriately sized to facilitate the inevitable accident percentage associated with the local population, however, an influx of people into a rural locale with already limited resources compounds the problem. Furthermore, as it stands presently, many rural areas are holding up pretty well because people are already spaced out. (There are exceptions, however, just look at the infection rate for the Navajo Reservation as it’s similar to NYC).

So, maybe you go bear hunting in BFE Montana and fall off your horse break your hip. Maybe you were carrying the virus and maybe you spread it to the entire SAR team that handles a huge rural area. What about the next guy who falls off his horse or the extremely rural resident who has a stroke? See how this works?

PMcGee

WKR
I dont think Poser makes the rules :LOL:..

All the whining in the world will not make a difference by those that are so self centered they cant see this is bigger than hunting right now. So you boys are sayin you are willing to risk our elderly population up here just so you can go hunt?? Yea right see how long that dog hunts.. YOU boys are making non residents look flat stupid period! Oh yea it is everyone else that is the problem not ME....

Keep it up fella's and guys like you - who are no doubt the problem - will make sure that only locals are hunting. I can say for a fact that the locals here in Colorado are getting real tired of folks coming up to "social distance".. SAR is getting real tired of folks "social distancing", sheriffs are getting real tired of tourons "soical distancing", and county commissioners are getting real sick of guess what "social distancing" by folks coming up to the mountains and one way or another they will soon stop it.. Yea we dont want you around = stay home and be if you can responsible period!

If you are from out of state at this point your only hope is that this thing to get under control by mid July or the no doubt 100% the county sheriffs will do the right thing and all the whining and crying in the world will not change it..

I didn’t know there was any rule about driving across the country.

Poser

WKR
I didn’t know there was any rule about driving across the country.

There is not and Trump has stated that it is “unlikely” he will issue a federal stay at home order, however, at the time of writing this post, almost 80% of the population of the USA (roughly 265 million people) are under some form of lockdown. Are you telling us that you interpret the current state of affairs as both “reasonable” and “acceptable” to venture out on a multi state road trip/vacation just to pursue a hobby?

Poser you just want all the fish to yourself!

I just booked a trip thanks to this Tapatalk ad.

d1b8391327dee783c45f7866f10d8d6a.jpg

All kidding aside it’s amazing how many people think they are essential this week. With out defined restrictions and enforcement this is going to get drawn out much longer than it needs to be.

PMcGee

WKR
There is not and Trump has stated that it is “unlikely” he will issue a federal stay at home order, however, at the time of writing this post, almost 80% of the population of the USA (roughly 265 million people) are under some form of lockdown. Are you telling us that you interpret the current state of affairs as both “reasonable” and “acceptable” to venture out on a multi state road trip/vacation just to pursue a hobby?

If I’m healthy, only stop for gas on the way out and drive right to a trail head to start my trip yes. I’m not advocating people flocking into towns. I really doubt many people drive across country to hunt turkeys bear maybe. My only point is a resident can just as easily transmit this to anyone so maybe nobody should be hunting. I’m even fine with states that stopped non residents from hunting. But if a state still allows non residents to hunt I see no problem with someone going hunting.

People drive across the country to hunt turkey? Sorry I got you killed grandpa, turkey hunting was too mportant.

Poser

WKR
People drive across the country to hunt turkey? Sorry I got you killed grandpa, turkey hunting was too mportant.

They do indeed. They take multi state road trips, hunting along the way. Some people like to hunt multiple subspecies during a season, so they are all over from FL to the West, others pursue the “grand slam” of all turkey species in a single season. Guided turkey hunting is big business in states like KS, Texas, NE, SD and FL. It’s not uncommon for people to save up their vacation time so they can do 6 weeks of continuous turkey hunting through multiple states.

They do indeed. They take multi state road trips, hunting along the way. Some people like to hunt multiple subspecies during a season, so they are all over from FL to the West, others pursue the “grand slam” of all turkey species in a single season. Guided turkey hunting is big business in states like KS, Texas, NE, SD and FL. It’s not uncommon for people to save up their vacation time so they can do 6 weeks of continuous turkey hunting through multiple states.

To each their own I guess. After watching flocks of turkeys walk around my house for years it’s not something I think of here. Over east it must be a big deal.

Miboy86

Lil-Rokslider
Still to early to decide whether I'll be chasing mule deer in Idaho this year, major thing is when Im allowed to go back to work. Michigan did shut down a major fishing spot today in response to people not following the guidelines and tickets being given not being a deterrent.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1585680463110.jpg
    FB_IMG_1585680463110.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 45
Out of state hunting isn't even a consideration for me. Last time we had a 3% kill rate flu we lost about 1 of every 200 people in the US. That means possibly 1,636,000 deaths if we don't get a handle on this. How can we put that number in perspective? Imagine 40X more traffic deaths per year.

I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst.

KurtR

WKR
We have a shit load of people come here to South Dakota in the black hills turkey hunting . If they do t shut it down it will be a wreck out there as compared to other areas hotels it pretty much all you can stay in

I hope it’s good by fall I hunt idaho with my brother who lives there but if it’s not guess we might save the money and go on a bigger trip in the next few years. Glass is always half full I guess

Reactions: lif
I think most of the non-travel will be on individual basis , whether fear or lack of income etc.