Covid-19 got me.......

TX_Diver

WKR
That's tough man. While it sucks it sounds like the right choice.

We've had a few people at work with it recently. For most of them it's been like some variation of a cold/flu. One has no symptoms other than loss of smell/taste and is treating it by drinking beer outside with his wife each night til he's cleared to work again.

But there's always the exceptions and the one's that make the news... On Wednesday one of my co-workers passed away from it. He's had the office next to mine for the last few months. Great guy who was always happy to do whatever was asked and never said no to helping anyone else with their job. He was mid 40s with a wife and 2 young kids (He did have 1 underlying condition). He'd finally got permission for his wife to visit him in the hospital and she was setup to visit 2 days later when he passed... Extremely sad situation.

Ultimately the elk will be there next year (and I'm sure you and your daughter will be too) but it definitely makes you re-think the potential of exposing other people who might not be so fortunate. Or at least that's what's been on my mind the last few days.

Hope you guys get well quick and whack some nice elk next year.

OP
OhioState84
That's tough man. While it sucks it sounds like the right choice.

We've had a few people at work with it recently. For most of them it's been like some variation of a cold/flu. One has no symptoms other than loss of smell/taste and is treating it by drinking beer outside with his wife each night til he's cleared to work again.

But there's always the exceptions and the one's that make the news... On Wednesday one of my co-workers passed away from it. He's had the office next to mine for the last few months. Great guy who was always happy to do whatever was asked and never said no to helping anyone else with their job. He was mid 40s with a wife and 2 young kids (He did have 1 underlying condition). He'd finally got permission for his wife to visit him in the hospital and she was setup to visit 2 days later when he passed... Extremely sad situation.

Ultimately the elk will be there next year (and I'm sure you and your daughter will be too) but it definitely makes you re-think the potential of exposing other people who might not be so fortunate. Or at least that's what's been on my mind the last few days.

Hope you guys get well quick and whack some nice elk next year.
Thanks!!! Lost two close relatives in the past two months...... Not going to expose anyone to it if we can help it...... following the health departments request......

Just an FYI... my Primary Care discouraged me from getting the tests we happen to have available now. She said the Results aren't very trustworthy. And that under certain conditions you can get false Positives AND false Negatives.
It's super frustrating right now with kids - you're d@mned if you do d@mned if you don't. If anyone is exposed you're on lock down for 2 weeks - anyone in the family means the entire family is shut down or you can test out and go back to normal. With a few kids a single positive test can close a day care class, shutter a school classroom, and keep everyone from going to work for a minimum of two weeks.

What's worse to me is that in our case we heard about the exposure a full week after it happened because the person didn't show symptoms until a couple days after - they got an appointment and a test - and didn't get results until a full week later. This means my wife and I could have been potentially spreading it both within our family and outside for a full week, and it took another 5 days before we got test results. If we were positive it would be the entire game again but with us informing everyone we'd seen at work, home, etc for the last week. Ridiculous.

I actually got my negative results in the last hour or so and am finishing up prepping so I can hit the road tomorrow, I'll lose one morning of the hunt and my hunting partner is bugging out because he got exposed from another person, but I'm getting out one way or the other.

It's super frustrating right now with kids - you're d@mned if you do d@mned if you don't. If anyone is exposed you're on lock down for 2 weeks - anyone in the family means the entire family is shut down or you can test out and go back to normal. With a few kids a single positive test can close a day care class, shutter a school classroom, and keep everyone from going to work for a minimum of two weeks.

What's worse to me is that in our case we heard about the exposure a full week after it happened because the person didn't show symptoms until a couple days after - they got an appointment and a test - and didn't get results until a full week later. This means my wife and I could have been potentially spreading it both within our family and outside for a full week, and it took another 5 days before we got test results. If we were positive it would be the entire game again but with us informing everyone we'd seen at work, home, etc for the last week. Ridiculous.

I actually got my negative results in the last hour or so and am finishing up prepping so I can hit the road tomorrow, I'll lose one morning of the hunt and my hunting partner is bugging out because he got exposed from another person, but I'm getting out one way or the other.
Dang! Where do you live so we can all stay away???

I live in a tiny town in the mountains. Covid passed us by all year until a couple weeks ago. Now we have exposures all over the place. Ugh I cannot wait until this is all over. Nowhere is exempt now I guess.

brsnow

WKR
Rent a vehicle and drive out... Pay at the pump and be responsible but don't stop living until you are forced to. Life is too short to miss a hunting season. If you actually get too sick to hunt, cut the hunt short and drive home. I am aware of several guys who hunted elk this year while being Covid positive. None got any symptoms bad enough to even stop hunting.
His daughter is sick, family is more important.

sndmn11

WKR
What's worse to me is that in our case we heard about the exposure a full week after it happened because the person didn't show symptoms until a couple days after - they got an appointment and a test - and didn't get results until a full week later.

My wife's positive test took 22 days :)

Gila

WKR
Rent a vehicle and drive out... Pay at the pump and be responsible but don't stop living until you are forced to. Life is too short to miss a hunting season. If you actually get too sick to hunt, cut the hunt short and drive home. I am aware of several guys who hunted elk this year while being Covid positive. None got any symptoms bad enough to even stop hunting.
What about infecting other people and killing them?

Dang! Where do you live so we can all stay away???

I live in a tiny town in the mountains. Covid passed us by all year until a couple weeks ago. Now we have exposures all over the place. Ugh I cannot wait until this is all over. Nowhere is exempt now I guess.
Greater Denver area - Colorado is blowing up right now, luckily treatments are getting much better and for most people it's really mild. We were exposed by some elderly folks that had pre-existing conditions and they're doing great.

What about infecting other people and killing them?
Man I hear you - it's my biggest fear about this entire thing. The problem is that once you start thinking carefully about contact tracing and how common asymptomatic infections are you realized we're screwed either way.

Think about it this way, in my case I have a family, and if I'm exposed to someone who is asymptomatic and I catch it from them - which is relatively common - now my family is basically a silent bio-weapons factory. We can reduce infections in vulnerable populations - but only by limiting their exposure - and the longer we drag this out the more of them are going to be hit as collateral damage. It sucks, and unfortunately I don't see a good way forward given the current political climate.

I’m sorry that you had to cancel your season. I hope that your family comes through this quickly and with a complete recovery.

I found out 3 days ago that I had been exposed several days earlier. I had a stuffy head, and as of Wednesday, loss of taste and smell. My doc said “you’ve got a presumptive case”. He told me to get tested for public health tracking.

As soon as I found out that I was exposed, I stayed home other than the drive up test. I got my groceries delivered to the porch. I used a mask and gloves to fuel up, and I’m in the camper waiting for sunrise on my deer hunt in the morning. I figure if anyone wants to get within 20 feet of me, I’ll shout “I have COVID” and hope they stay away.

We have an 18 year old in the house, with no symptoms, so I figure getting away as soon as possible for as long as possible is his best bet to stay healthy.

I’m sorry that you had to cancel your season. I hope that your family comes through this quickly and with a complete recovery.

I found out 3 days ago that I had been exposed several days earlier. I had a stuffy head, and as of Wednesday, loss of taste and smell. My doc said “you’ve got a presumptive case”. He told me to get tested for public health tracking.

As soon as I found out that I was exposed, I stayed home other than the drive up test. I got my groceries delivered to the porch. I used a mask and gloves to fuel up, and I’m in the camper waiting for sunrise on my deer hunt in the morning. I figure if anyone wants to get within 20 feet of me, I’ll shout “I have COVID” and hope they stay away.

We have an 18 year old in the house, with no symptoms, so I figure getting away as soon as possible for as long as possible is his best bet to stay healthy.
Maybe put a big sign at the trailhead - keep the orange army at bay.

Gila

WKR
Man I hear you - it's my biggest fear about this entire thing. The problem is that once you start thinking carefully about contact tracing and how common asymptomatic infections are you realized we're screwed either way.

Think about it this way, in my case I have a family, and if I'm exposed to someone who is asymptomatic and I catch it from them - which is relatively common - now my family is basically a silent bio-weapons factory. We can reduce infections in vulnerable populations - but only by limiting their exposure - and the longer we drag this out the more of them are going to be hit as collateral damage. It sucks, and unfortunately I don't see a good way forward given the current political climate.
Unfotunately, that is the hard truth. It is unfortunate that the hunt is off but that is the right thing to do. There weren't as many non-resident hunters in the Gila this season as there usually is. However, some outfitters completely ignored the virus, which of course helped to cause a spike in covid cases in Catron-Socorro counties. Everyone needs to do their part to end this thing however there are a few that just don't care. It only takes a few to cause a pandemic.

Gila

WKR

Sorry to hear that. You are doing the right thing. I wish everyone would.

Gila

WKR
Supposed to fly out tomorrow - daughter got her test results this morning - positive...... Three years of prepping and stopped short the day before....... Well - hopefully her symptoms will stay mild and we will all get through this...... Have to stay in shape for next year!!
Safe hunting and good luck to all the Team hunting Colorado's Third Rifle Season!!!!!
God Bless...... A very disappointed Buckeye.......:(
Sorry to hear that...but you are doing the right thing....

OP
OhioState84

Was supposed to fly out Thursday - but found out tuesday she needed to get tested.... then rescheduled the flight for tomorrow - and get the positive test result this morning..... I was checking all the stuff in the Kifaru when my wife came down to the basement and gave me the news....... Glad you got a negative !!!! Best of luck - post your story when you get back!!! God Bless and be safe!!

OP
OhioState84
Unfotunately, that is the hard truth. It is unfortunate that the hunt is off but that is the right thing to do. There weren't as many non-resident hunters in the Gila this season as there usually is. However, some outfitters completely ignored the virus, which of course helped to cause a spike in covid cases in Catron-Socorro counties. Everyone needs to do their part to end this thing however there are a few that just don't care. It only takes a few to cause a pandemic.
Amen!!

Gila

WKR
Greater Denver area - Colorado is blowing up right now, luckily treatments are getting much better and for most people it's really mild. We were exposed by some elderly folks that had pre-existing conditions and they're doing great.
We have a spike in cases as well. I kicked the farrier off the property because he refused to wear a mask. I pick up feed but never leave the truck. Other than that, no one goes through the gate. Everything is delivered. These are trying times but that is just the way it is. To ignore it is to invite catastrophe to the family.

We have a spike in cases as well. I kicked the farrier off the property because he refused to wear a mask. I pick up feed but never leave the truck. Other than that, no one goes through the gate. Everything is delivered. These are trying times but that is just the way it is. To ignore it is to invite catastrophe to the family.
I'm glad that's working for you, it would sure suck if your only source of income was interacting with people. Those guides may be making hard decisions about feeding their family and paying their mortgage. I find the people that are most for hard lockdown are the ones it won't affect. It's certainly been making it hard for me to find work.

Just wanted to say hope your daughter has a safe and fast recovery(if the symptoms come) and there are many years of hunting in the future for you guys. You made the right call.