Covid, a blessing in disguise?

Michael54

WKR
As i'm sitting here with my coffee waiting for my 4 year old to wake up and big game season is now about over I have a bit of time to reflect on the good outta the bad.
Covid layoff, i thought it was the end of the world initially. How were we going to get by without my full pay? Now I'm realizing this is the most continuous amount of uninterrupted time I've gotten to spend with my son. I missed his first steps and first words due to work and was the 2 hrs at most before bedtime dad due to my work schedule. Every daddy/Gabie day is now an adventure. It starts with a breakfast of daddy's special sausage (venison breakfast sausage) and pancakes and goes wherever he wants it to. From playing tractors and dinosaurs to sled riding and walking through the woods watching him point out tracks and deer beds to him thinking I'm a magician for making a fire with sticks (ferro rod and knife which i can safely say i was not sure i could make work but he didn't know that 🤣) I can't believe it was Covid that finally made me realize time will trump money every day of the week in my household from now on.

Doghed

WKR
I know exactly how you feel. I've been a stay-at-home dad for two sons the last 12 years. Toughest and most rewarding job I've ever had, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.That privilege is front and center for me everyday as I realize so many dads (and moms) aren't able to do what I've been doing. Covid didn't change my daily much except to realize I'm not a very good teacher (of school stuff). I'd rather just go hike, bike, and play all the time like the old days.

We have been very fortunate during these strange times as we've avoided the hardships that so many are facing. I'm happy for you to be able to enjoy those daily simple pleasures. They are indeed a blessing.

Last edited:
Hell yes! I used to commute 45 minutes each way. Been working at home since it all started and that’s been extended to the end of March with talk of permanent change. Instead of leaving the house at 6 am before everyone is awake I now get to get my boy ready and eat breakfast with the family. We got a 10 day old baby now and I get to be here with her and momma everyday (also saving a couple weeks of leave since I’m already here and can flex my schedule). On top of that saving money on fuel and insurance (sold my commuter).

Usually on a morning like today when it snowed overnight I would be leaving at about 4 am. Instead I’m sitting here relaxing with my coffee. The extra time at home has also allowed me to learn a new skill that has made a substantial amount of money. Covid taught me a lot about controlling my own life and might retire me 20 years early because of it....

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
Totally Agree. Daughter is older at 14 and started high school this fall. With me working from home since March 7, I was able to help with "school from home" as she wrapped up 8th grade, a great family summer, and now able to have breakfast with her and pick her up almost everyday.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My job ha Spain me my full salary to basically work 1/2 time for the past 9 months. I didn’t even need to use leave for my hunting trips this year.

MattB

WKR
There are COVID silver linings for sure and good for you guys for making taking full advantage, but in no way, shape or form would I call COVID a blessing in disguise.

03mossy

WKR
Amen! Covid has given me the gift of time. My work has slowed down so I am able to spend days working from home and helping the kids with school. I have 4 kids ranging from 4-14 and 3 of them in sports our lives used to be about running here to there and never having all 6 of us together. My wife's small business is actually booming through all this and with me home more I am able to run the house while she works in the shop. Things sure are backward but I am enjoying it for the most part. Now if I can just keep the 9 and 12 year old from fighting so much it would be even better.

Opah

WKR
Good job presenting the rosy side of this mess, I cant help but feel for the parents that have to figure out how and what they are going to feed their kids and where they are going to live once the lenders can come take their homes.
A blessing to you and nothing but sadness for many others.
I guess it a "Let them eat Cake"

If there has been anything good about not being able to travel, it's that my family and I have spent more time in the outdoors and hunting together this year. And I am more grateful than ever to live in a rural area.

Blake_08

FNG
Awesome! Hopefully by the time this is all over (if it's ever all over) we can all see some positives that came of it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Fixed it for you. Let’s be careful what we wish for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not wishing for anything, just making an observation. Somewhere in a basement a bean counter is scratching his head and wondering, "WTF?."

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I'm not wishing for anything, just making an observation. Somewhere in a basement a bean counter is scratching his head and wondering, "WTF?."
Yea my job realized the one department could be handled half staff with the initial layoffs in april and didn't bother calling quite a few of them back. However all that weren't called back weren't very productive to begin with and were told about it multiple times so I don't really feel bad for them.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Good job presenting the rosy side of this mess, I cant help but feel for the parents that have to figure out how and what they are going to feed their kids and where they are going to live once the lenders can come take their homes.
A blessing to you and nothing but sadness for many others.
I guess it a "Let them eat Cake"
The blessing is I get to spend time with my son, and i live in the middle of nowhere. Not having to worry that its the end of the world for my family financially is due to me working my ass off, putting a large portion of every paycheck into savings, and making sure we lived as close to debt free as possible for the past 10 years. So yeah it is nice to be able to actually appreciate a bit of the good that came out of the bad for a change.