Covid and your worklife

*zap*

WKR
It is a slow day in the small Saskatchewan town of Pumphandle, and streets are deserted. Times are tough, everybody is in debt, and everybody is living on credit.

A tourist visiting the area drives through town, stops at the motel, and lays a $100 bill on the desk saying he wants to inspect the rooms upstairs to pick one for the night. As soon as he walks upstairs, the motel owner grabs the bill and runs next door to pay his debt to the butcher.

The butcher takes the $100 and runs down the street to retire his debt to the pig farmer.

The pig farmer takes the $100 and heads off to pay his bill to his supplier, the Co-op.

The guy at the Co-op takes the $100 and runs to pay his debt to the local prostitute, who has also been facing hard times and has had to offer her "services" on credit.

The hooker rushes to the hotel and pays off her room bill with the hotel owner.

The hotel proprietor then places the $100 back on the counter so the traveler will not suspect anything.

At that moment the traveler comes down the stairs, states that the rooms are not satisfactory, picks up the $100 bill and leaves. No one produced anything. No one earned anything...

However, the whole town is now out of debt and now looks to the future with a lot more optimism.

brushape

WKR
I work as a captain of a charter boat out of sf, we are completely shutdown I definitly. Usually we would have run a dozen trips or so by this time every year and things would really be cranking up about now when the live bait becomes available. Not sure what is going to happen with this all but I’m not picturing people wanting to crowd on to boats to go fishing any time in the future let alone other things we do like bay cruises and tours which are a huge part of our income

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a basic do it all guy at a golf course and I have zero change. The owners of the course have even kept it open because they are okay under the order as long as they do sanitization and some other stuff. 1 person per cart, no range balls, a whole bunch of stuff. Still not sure how I feel about the ethics of it but I am able to keep my household of 2 afloat so I can’t complain.

Wife and I are both blessed. I'm a ICU RN. So, I've been getting OT and my wife is a lending officer. She's been able to work from home. So, we hired a nanny for the kids as well. All in all we've been very fortunate.

I work for a small company that manufactures electrical connectors so we are still working, but we did see a big slowdown last week. They cut all overtime and let anyone who wanted to take last Friday off without pay but without being penalized. That's a common move during slow summers so I anticipate that becoming part of the weekly routine. This week it looks to have picked back up a bit, at least from our commercial and industrial customers. It's like they all looked around last week to make sure everyone was still doing their thing before continuing. Our parent company sent down some guidelines for cleanliness/workplace sanitation and such that nobody but a handful of us paid much attention to until several people had immediate family members (living outside the home) or coworkers of immediate family members come down with the virus within a 2 day period. It was a literal overnight change. This place is the cleanest its been in years and everybody is taking it seriously.

My wife is a high school biology teacher and would be working from home but we had our first kid two and a half weeks ago so she's been home with her. She is a bit annoyed that she is burning leave since online tools and teaching practices are some of her passions/hobbies/specialties and teaching remotely would be relatively easy for her to do, but she does like not having to spend the whole day running down her students to make sure they are doing the work. This allows her to crash whenever the little one takes a nap.

SirRomey

FNG
I’m down to 25 hours a week. I work in auto sales but I’m one of the lucky hourly employees that’s still getting paid at the dealership.

Still framing/roofing/siding 6 days a week...will be as long as lumberyard stays open. If my kids weren't home every day, I wouldn't notice a single change in my daily life. Wife's a CNA, her schedule is essentially unchanged too.

ewade07

WKR
I'm a GIS Analyst for an electrical company. Nothing has changed for me other than now i work from home. Honestly, i dont think i would go back to the office if i was given that choice. Still working full time and i dont see any of that changing. Girlfriend is a PA at a Rheumatology clinic in the hospital. With 3 providers there they are now splitting time in the office vs working form home making phone call and virtual visits. We both feel very fortunate.

IdahoElk

WKR
Our city council has shut down all non essential businesses for the foreseeable future on top of that the markets tanking shelved two custom homes to be built that would been work for the next two years.
From hero to zero in three weeks!

Lawnboi

WKR
Wife and I are still working full time, as normal. The virus has been in town for weeks now, some stuff is shut down per the governor but it’s life as normal for us.

.50 CAL

FNG
I was already working from home 3 days a week (IT for a credit union). Now I work at home full time from my home office. Wife is a elementary teacher so she's working from home now too. Mostly answering emails and a few online help for the kids that need the it. All 4 kids are home ALL day now too... We've got a lot of yard work done that typically gets ignored due to soccer, baseball, dance, tumbling etc.

Working full time from home. Love it. Sleeping in an hour or so everyday and getting to spend an hour every morning with my wife and kid instead of leaving before they’re awake. Working out while on calls, shooting a few arrows during lunch. Saving about 1.5 hours of windshield time a day and $200 or so a month on fuel. And it sounds like we may be going long term on this type of work situation at least 3/5 days a week once the smoke clears.

I was supposed to move into a nice elevated office with Chugach views last week though. My home office with the Talkeetna Mtn views will have to do!

Last edited:
Working full time from home. Love it. Sleeping in an hour or so everyday and getting to spend an hour every morning with my wife and kid instead of leaving before they’re awake. Working out while on calls, shooting a few arrows during lunch. Saving about 1.5 hours of windshield time a day and $200 or so a month on fuel. And it sounds like we may be going long term on this type of work situation at least 3/5 days a week once the smoke clears.
Exact same here!

My work has transitioned to work from home through end of may. Has been a change but is working ok. More video conferencing and phone calls. Teaching the kids at home has been interesting but is getting better. No commute is great so I’ve had more time for hikes!

grossklw

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a physical therapist and my wife is an RN and is the facility administrator for a dialysis clinic. She's unfortunately salaried and working 50-60 hour weeks with some of her RN's calling because of daycare etc. so she ends up working the floor. My case-load has been 95% telehealth and my overall case-load has been cut by 50% I would say. We can only get paid on telehealth when we're on site, which makes absolutely zero sense. Still seeing swingbed and transitional care patients at the hospital as well. I normally work 4 10's and have been doing 3 10's instead. It's been stressful though, we're both worried we're going to bring it home and give it to little man. He's had RSV, influenza, and a couple bouts of bronchitis so we'd just assume avoid him getting it if at all possible. Even if people think we may be over-reacting, I don't really care. I don't want him to get it. We've been legitimately socially isolating ourselves for the past month.

I own 65 rental units and at this point about 80% of them have paid rent, I've worked out payment plans with some of the others, May will be a better indicator on how they're doing.

Okhotnik

WKR
I work as a captain of a charter boat out of sf, we are completely shutdown I definitly. Usually we would have run a dozen trips or so by this time every year and things would really be cranking up about now when the live bait becomes available. Not sure what is going to happen with this all but I’m not picturing people wanting to crowd on to boats to go fishing any time in the future let alone other things we do like bay cruises and tours which are a huge part of our income

Good luck. Hope this ends soon so you and other small businesses ( the backbone of America) can get back to normal operations.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'm a CE for a Gov't agency. I work from home primarily now. Outside of that, no change. I feel for all the restaurant owners and small business people in town. I'm also happy I didn't extend myself buying a 4 plex right before this hit, that may have ended poorly. Lucky break.

I work construction on the road, partnered with my Brother, working Maine to Carolina. Many of our jobs have been cancelled/postponed but we had 2 “essential” jobs on the books and they end tomorrow. We’re headed home to stay, by choice, till this blows over. My Sister-in-law is just out of chemo and my 15 yr old niece has major birth related lung/heart issues and we’ve decided the risk just isn’t worth the money. My Brother will isolate for 14 days before joining his family. My lady is a nurse. She’s been in proximity to the virus but not exposed, as far as she knows, so I have some risk going forward. I can’t in good conscience go to work and possibly infect my Brothers family. Our savings will deplete but who cares. I’ll spend my days getting in better shape and trout fishing.