Covid and your worklife

jmcd22

WKR
I work in Ag and have been working from home for the last two weeks with this being week 3. Everything is business as usual but with the price of milk in the toilet, it may not last. Time will tell.

S.Clancy

WKR
I work in Ag and have been working from home for the last two weeks with this being week 3. Everything is business as usual but with the price of milk in the toilet, it may not last. Time will tell.
Is all the negative effects to Ag based on dollar strength or something?

fmyth

WKR
I've been working from home since 2009 so my workspace has not changed. I have seen a big disruption as my clients are real estate agent/brokers and with so much uncertainty in the marketplace they are not spending money. My workload is about 25% of normal right now.

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
My wifes completely out of work. My schedule hasn't changed at all, they say we are "essential" which is H.R. code for "expendable" lol

T28w

WKR
Dentist here. March 18th was the last day we could see patients normally. After that was anything that could be postponed was delayed until the middle of this month. Then got updarwd to it really needs to be an emergency, severe pain or infection, or it needs to be delayed. New tentative return date is the end of this month but will prob be pushed back further if I had to guess as it is not supposed to peak until mid this month.
Even when they tell us we can start back, imagine it will be very slow and I can’t blame anyone. I certainly don’t want to be in waiting rooms right now. Especially with the aerosols we create.

jmcd22

WKR
Is all the negative effects to Ag based on dollar strength or something?

Milk, specifically is due to the demand in schools and restaurants plummeting. People are asking why the price of milk has gone down when the store shelves are empty but I think they underestimate the amount of liquid milk and cheese that is used in schools and restaurants. The beef industry is taking a hit too but not nearly as hard as dairy. As with anything, when there is unknown people take precautions and spend less money...as that relates to animals, they spend less on vaccines, feed, minerals etc. There are a lot more factors that effect Ag but those are the ones that I've seen and can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:

BluMtn

WKR
I also work in the Ag industry and have a semi- retirement job that has me working out of my home for the last year and ahalf, previously I was farming year around. I have been socially distancing myself for a long time.

Austink47

WKR
Strange times. Work as a Ranger, trying to balance giving people a place to go get outside, and keep staff and the public safe is tricky.

I do structural steel in a shop, mostly business as usual. We scaled back our crew and had a few of the less essential(productive) people stay home. New policies were put in place for keeping bathrooms and common areas sanitary. We are only permitted to work on government jobs but thankfully that’s the bulk of our projects with schools and hospitals. We can’t do this indefinitely but it’s fine for now.

elkguide

WKR
Construction here, mostly painting. Had more work than I could do as of 3 weeks ago but the powers that be shut me down anyway. I tried getting approval for running my guys on separate jobs to "social distance" correctly but absolutely no wiggle room. Wish this was happening in September and I would social distance with a weapon happily. It's cost me about $35,000 so far.

Scottyboy

WKR
Unchanged, as my job was home office based for the past many years. The only change is we are asked not to visit customers unless it is absolutely critical. Basically, my job has kept me home with the kids more with my salary and hours exactly as they were pre China flu

elkyinzer

WKR
I work in accounting/finance for a small group of businesses. The main company I deal with is in real estate and no one is really sure what the outlook there is, definitely a mix of headwinds and tailwinds coming out of this but more bad than good.

Been a mad scramble the past couple weeks we had to lay off a bunch of good people and the rest of the company took substantial pay cuts to stay afloat.

Most anything I can do from home, but being remote reduces collaboration a lot and makes it really challenging to keep an eye on my people and our team's priorities. I've started going back into the office because I can't stand WFH life, I just need that work and family separation or I start losing my shit.

We gotta be smart and start getting people back to work soon. Keep the vulnerable safe. I say we bring back universities and quarantine the whole campus, let the young start building immunity to this stuff. We can't bury our head in the sand and pretend our society can take 18 months of curve flattening at this pace.

Rs3003

WKR
Electrician in Pittsburgh PA. 95% of construction jobs shut down until further notice. The only construction jobs going are for the healthcare industry. My wife is a RN so it’s business as usual with her. Good luck to everyone.

I work for a real estate company that owns apartment buildings across US and have been working from home since March 4th. Work has been incredibly busy navigating emergency laws for rent forbearance, pausing renovation projects due to stay at home orders, negotiating special lease terms for retail tenants that have to close temporarily (hopefully) and forecasting when individual assets will run out of money to pay their mortgage if rental collections continue to decline. I basically never leave my computer except to help out the wife with our 8-week old. But at least I am working and my family is healthy - basically I have a lot to be thankful for.

I'm batting about 10% of last years clients wanting landscape and lawn care work. Many of the are at home now and looking to stay that way under mandate. so, they have lots of time and way less money to have that service currently.

Contracting is slowing too. Due to the same conditions.

I'd like to nuke China off the face of the earth

Chirokyle

FNG
Curious how this virus has affected people's work situation?
For my work, it is split into 1/3's
the folk school I teach at is shut down for now,
most of my carpentry jobs are delayed
and the rest of my time is spent in my woodshop, where I'm winding down the few commissions I have to do in there, but I am home so that's fine with me for now.

How about you?
I own a small business (health care) business is down about 35%. Not happy about the hysteria. Way overrated!

Rob5589

WKR
Hit or miss for us. One day busy as hell, next day it is dead. Overall volume is down. People are afraid to be seen in the ER, which can be good or bad. The good; the usual derelicts just looking for a warm bed aren't going in; the bad, people that are potentially having a true emergency may avoid being seen.

Lowg08

WKR
Power company here so no change here. My wife is a chef. They were doing to go and delivery but it was costing more to do than they were making so she is home with the kids. We try to save as much as we can and I’m extremely tight so hopefully we’ll be good. We have been very blessed

I’ll lose about $3,000 worth of income this month but I’m working from home and still getting my base salary. Missing the income sucks but on the other hand I’m actually totally fine with the time off. I don’t want to do this any longer than May 1 tho or I’m gonna start getting cranky