Covid and your worklife

I work one week in the office, one week at home, I work for a city government so we are doing that to limit the amount of people in the office. I don't like it much, but government tends to be way to cautious.

ShakeDown

WKR
Ebbs and flows. I manage a specialty pharmacy in a major hospital. Things will get worse before they get better.

Just hope to keep my team safe and my daughters and wife from being exposed, while helping as many people as we can.

Porterka

FNG
I manage a custom aluminum boat building company, my work load is lighter the last few weeks but all of my staff is on paid furlough for 3 weeks. I still go into the office and manage the one Small gov project that is still running. So far 2 contracts down which total about 8 million due to the virus.

The wife is a city employee and is on paid furlough until the end of the month, she has been on that for 3 weeks so far.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
300 at my company laid off so far, every week could be more. Talks off cutting hours, no bonuses for anyone, executives taking no pay, stopped 401k contribution, no business travel, probably gonna shut down several locations. Business is absolutely horrible, down 70%. Stupid auto repair industry.
Wife is working from home, no slow down or cuts. She’s in financial/investments, company had plans for surviving anything from wwiii to a virus.

Crippledsledge64

Lil-Rokslider
Its been pretty normal for me. I work in mental health so a lot of video calls from the office or home. Work has slowed down by about a quarter though. Wife's a nurse on the floor that gets the covid patients so that a little nerve racking. Most of my family are farmers and I know a few who are getting worried about catching the bug right around planting season, especially for the older guys.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I work as a prototype machinist, I'm working more than usual, and I normally work 10 or so hours of OT. We have some people that are out because of being deemed "high risk" by there doctors, but we still have to get the same amount of work done. Most of the stuff I have been doing lately is Nuclear and Aerospace and hasn't been affected. I do see a slowdown coming with our medical stuff though, as they are postponing elective surgeries. My wife is working from home, and working more than she had been also.

eamyrick

WKR
Cop in large metro area. I supervise an evening shift and we have seen a 50% slow down or more in calls. I know non residential burglaries are up and the remaining calls seem to be pretty violent. I’m grateful for a paycheck but have also lost tons of OT for canceled events. I’m trying to let guys have some days off as call volume allows to help with childcare and am doing the same myself but we are bracing for an influx of cases and sick cops any day. Had a day shift guy test positive recently.

Tgun46

FNG
Not much change. I work on the production side for a oil and natural gas company. Just not allowed to go in our office, work alone out of my truck 95% time anyway, 100% now.

NVVAHunt

Lil-Rokslider
I work in financial fraud so only thing that’s changed for me is I’m working from home. The company I work for only had about 1% of its staff with the ability to telecommute (way behind the times due to our former CEO) and scrambled to get enough stuff for 13,000 people to switch to working from home in 2 weeks. It’s been good though, I wake up and hang out with my dog all day. My wife was switched to 3-12’s at her job as a veterinary technician. On the side she and I manage 2 horse boarding facilities (about 35 horses total) for a guy and that’s been helping the 2 of us from going stir crazy going out there on the weekends and after work to check in on things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haggin

Lil-Rokslider
Agricultural finance, started working from home in early-mid March when the kiddo was on spring break, four weeks in now. I was working form home a day or two a week before, but really just using my laptop those days. Increase in volume but i expect it to slow some if commodity markets stay where they are.

My Association has been very supportive, and got us set up monitors and docking stations if necessary. My wife is also home full time now and the kiddo is working on homework. We test the rural internet capacity every day with Zoom calls and Google Classroom. Looking forward to turkey season and a few says off in a couple weeks.

J.G.

FNG
The number of patients at the hospitals in Kansas I work at have declined overall, there is a calm before the storm feeling. We are reducing hours but still getting paid as if we were working full time. I will admit its kind of nice not having the frequent fliers coming in all hours of the day and night to our ER's. My wife is working from home, she works in banking and finance.

I work on Long Island, we’ve been hit hard here. All our beds are full. One hospital I work at increased its beds from 90->188, all full. All the ventilators are being used. I’ve been doing a lot of tracheostomy’s. All my elective surgeries have been cancelled, emergencies only. Most of my neighbors have had it. I have to reuse my protective gear because there’s not enough to go around. We’re turning away people from the hospital even if they can barely breath, because there are people who can’t coming in everyday. And if you recover, we don’t really know if there will be any long term consequences for your lungs!
Coming from someone who sees what this pandemic really is, I would not take it lightly if god forbid it comes to your town. It’s worse than the media portrays it to be. They can’t see what’s really happening, only what an administrator tells them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tradguy

FNG
I work on Long Island, we’ve been hit hard here. All our beds are full. One hospital I work at increased its beds from 90->188, all full. All the ventilators are being used. I’ve been doing a lot of tracheostomy’s. All my elective surgeries have been cancelled, emergencies only. Most of my neighbors have had it. I have to reuse my protective gear because there’s not enough to go around. We’re turning away people from the hospital even if they can barely breath, because there are people who can’t coming in everyday. And if you recover, we don’t really know if there will be any long term consequences for your lungs!
Coming from someone who sees what this pandemic really is, I would not take it lightly if god forbid it comes to your town. It’s worse than the media portrays it to be. They can’t see what’s really happening, only what an administrator tells them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hang in there and I am praying for you all on the east coast. Here in the Midwest all we have is the news and like you said what are hospital admin is telling us. We are starting to reuse ppe out of being conservative, just in case we do end up with a huge spike in cases.

Last edited:

CO Hunter

FNG
Fortunately sort of status quo for me. I do EHS compliance for the oil and gas industry, which is currently in the gutter these days. I am able work from home and have been since about the 3rd week of March. Seems likes it is conference calls after conference calls in lieu of being physically present at the office. I can't really complain though, these are rough times for lots of folks.

Fitzwho

WKR
I run a service and completion tool district for the oilfield. The Saudi vs Russia vs American Shale Producers oil glut and the overall reduction in daily oil usage (down 10-20 million barrels of oil a day) due to CoViD-19, from no jets flying, fewer people taking road trips) are what's killing me and most of the other guys that work in the oilfield. There are companies in town that cut their workforce by 400 people and everybody that remained took a 25% paycut. With the fear that will remain of being inside a closed, pressurized shell with 100+ other people, I think it will take a long time before a lot of people are comfortable with international travel. I'm writing this as I should be waking up in Christmas Island for my first day of fly fishing for the next week. Instead I'm sitting in my office discussing how much hand sanitizer we should order to keep all of our employees safe.

Personally, I'm still at the shop daily, but very little going on, with most producers getting very close to shutting in all domestic oil production. We have reduced staff by about 30%, closed a couple districts, and everyone that was left took a 10% pay cut (both salaried and hourly employees). They also changed how my commissions are paid (they were even nice enough to back-date the last two months for me) to the tune of about 50% cut on those, so I took about a 30% paycut overall. I hope that my company will make it out of this situation without closing entirely, but not sure that we will.

With Oil down as far as it is and so many people laid off locally, my home value is likely down by 20-30% just over the last month, and I probably couldn't sell it if I wanted to. I have contemplated putting it on the market, just to see if I can get what I have in it back out, quitting my job, moving closer to family and just figuring it out when everything picks back up.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
I’m an engineer at a box plant. Demand is up 40% due to food boxes. Hourly employee getting lots of OT. I am very fortunate.

Changes throughout the plant that I have seen are staggered lunch breaks, hand sani throughout all work stations, 20mins cut out at the end of every shift for proper sanitation for shift rotation, no more morning tool boxes, 100s of covid 19 posters, walkways have 6ft markers, drivers/outside contractors have to sign in at makeshift booth.

But the biggest change is the traffic to and from work. I am happy to read that people are enjoying working from home and hope it continues post covid19.

Oregon

WKR
I work as a captain of a charter boat out of sf, we are completely shutdown I definitly. Usually we would have run a dozen trips or so by this time every year and things would really be cranking up about now when the live bait becomes available. Not sure what is going to happen with this all but I’m not picturing people wanting to crowd on to boats to go fishing any time in the future let alone other things we do like bay cruises and tours which are a huge part of our income

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im in the same “boat”!
Ran 7 trips between Mar 12-18th. Shut my charterboat down on the 19th, and have a hopeful day of May 1st to get back to work. I fish up to 20 people, usually all strangers to each other. Doubtful people will be eager to jump on full boats even if/when we re-open. Going to be a lean year.
Like you, I only get paid when the boat leaves the dock and my wages are a percentage of trip. The more people, more money for me.

Greg Beck

WKR
School teacher for a private school in a rural community. Tutor and answer questions in the morning from school. School is a mile from my house, so I wind up spending mornings there. Home the rest of the time. Play with the kids, working on my fitness, misc odds jobs around the house.