Covid defense/prevent....strengthening your immune system.

Hamp1127

Lil-Rokslider
This is probably long overdue here....

For those who want to insure optimal immune defense against the whu-flu (or any other bug) here are some widely recognized and highy recommended supplements.
These vitamins and supplements are recommended by many doctors, both modern and traditional. This list might vary a bit, but these are the staples for immune defense.

Vitamin D3 - drops or oil-based softgels. Wife takes drops under the tongue, I take the softgels. Vitamin D3 is perhaps the most important (and lacking) component associated with Covid and possible virus severity. Take this even if you take nothing else.
Zinc capsule - for everyday. hugely important for immune system and bonus for prostate.
Zinc lozenge - keep/dissolve in mouth if sick or feeling that sickness or flu is coming on.
Reduced L-Glutathione--immune support, antioxidant support.
NAC- N-acetyl-L-Cysteine -antioxidant cell support, helps the body assimilate the L-Glutathione, a precursor.
Daily multi-vitamin (gummy, etc.) for vitamin C, iron, etc.

Obviously eat fruits and veggies daily, fresh if possible. Most of us don't get enough. Avoid the crap foods, bacon and/or processed meats everyday are a huge drag on your body. Same goes for processed sugars = junk food.
Sht-can the soft drinks! Drink a lot of water.

Do your own due diligence, I offer the above as a reference for those who want to stack the deck. I didn't list the iu, mg, etc. of each, that may vary with your needs and size.
I'm not a practitioner, but complied this list early on as a preventative plan, hope it helps.
Super Supplements is a decent source to order online or buy locally.
Eating a balanced diet prepared at home is the start. Most vitamins can be consumed through a well thought out plan for your meals. Other supplements in conjunction will obviously decrease your chances of contracting, but definitely will not eliminate them.

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
So why not take a quality multi vitamin every day instead of lining up individual supplements? it seems like it would be a pain dealing with 4 or 5 different products all of the time.
Good question!
I'd make the analogy that it's like nitrous in your car. It's meant to load your system--supercharge your immunity--in the event of the 'rona.

I'd not take the NAC or Reduced glutathione if the threat didn't exist.
The vitamin D3 and zinc should be taken everyday by everyone--over and above the multi-vitamin, imho.

For middle-aged + men, the zinc is hugely important for the plumbing. Fellas here over about age 48 or so know what I'm taking about with prostate issues.
Mine are resolved with the daily raw pumpkin seeds and the zinc supplements.

Along with having a somewhat healthy or healthy diet, I think exercise is very important from what I've seen regarding people I know who got the covid. From what little Intel I've gathered from those roughly 4 dozen people I know, 70% of them are considered obese if you look at the BMI chart and I know those people hardly exercise outside of yardwork, hunting, and maybe a picnic or 3 in the woods every year. Those obese people also had the worst cases of rona.

The fit and healthiest folks I know didn't need to go to the ER.

I'm in pretty darn good shape and have a decent diet outside of the holidays so I don't think I'll have a bad time once I get the rona.

elkguide

WKR
D and Zinc are 2 supplements that even with careful eating habits, often get underserved. Many of our foods that should bring vitamins to our bodies are missing those vitamins because fruits and veggies are "truck ripened" rather than vine ripened where they should be getting their vitamins in those last few days but not inside the truck.

As to the combination of exercise.... At my annual physical several years ago, my Doctor asked how my "man parts" were working. I told her that they had worked just fine that morning, to which she swore at me, (she's a very good friend along with being the best Doc around) and then she said that she was writing ED prescriptions for men in their 40's. She then said that it was really sad because there were multiple studies that showed that almost 70% of men that needed ED drugs if they would just walk 1 mile a day, (that's an average of 20 minutes of exercise a day) their need for ED drugs would go away! So you really aren't hiking to get ready for next falls hunt after all!

Gobbler36

WKR
This is probably long overdue here....

For those who want to insure optimal immune defense against the whu-flu (or any other bug) here are some widely recognized and highy recommended supplements.
These vitamins and supplements are recommended by many doctors, both modern and traditional. This list might vary a bit, but these are the staples for immune defense.

Vitamin D3 - drops or oil-based softgels. Wife takes drops under the tongue, I take the softgels. Vitamin D3 is perhaps the most important (and lacking) component associated with Covid and possible virus severity. Take this even if you take nothing else.
Zinc capsule - for everyday. hugely important for immune system and bonus for prostate.
Zinc lozenge - keep/dissolve in mouth if sick or feeling that sickness or flu is coming on.
Reduced L-Glutathione--immune support, antioxidant support.
NAC- N-acetyl-L-Cysteine -antioxidant cell support, helps the body assimilate the L-Glutathione, a precursor.
Daily multi-vitamin (gummy, etc.) for vitamin C, iron, etc.

Obviously eat fruits and veggies daily, fresh if possible. Most of us don't get enough. Avoid the crap foods, bacon and/or processed meats everyday are a huge drag on your body. Same goes for processed sugars = junk food.
Sht-can the soft drinks! Drink a lot of water.

Do your own due diligence, I offer the above as a reference for those who want to stack the deck. I didn't list the iu, mg, etc. of each, that may vary with your needs and size.
I'm not a practitioner, but complied this list early on as a preventative plan, hope it helps.
Super Supplements is a decent source to order online or buy locally.
Agree with everything but bacon and meat

I process my own elk burger are you saying thats bad for me?

I buy uncured pasture raised bacon, it makes zero sense that eating animals in which we evolved to consume would be bad for us.

gii ok listen to Dr Paul Saladino

OP
Broomd

Broomd

WKR
Agree with everything but bacon and meat

I process my own elk burger are you saying thats bad for me?

I buy uncured pasture raised bacon, it makes zero sense that eating animals in which we evolved to consume would be bad for us.

gii ok listen to Dr Paul Saladino
Adam, agree with you 100%.
Doesn't get any better than wild game & home-grown beef. We're eating steak fingers tonight.
My allusion was to processed meats and bacon full of sodium nitrates. Uncured is the way to go.

7Bartman

WKR
home is the start. Most vitamins can be consumed through a well thought out plan for your meals. Other supplements in conjunction will obviously decrease your chances of contracting, but definitely will not eliminate them.
Actually there is scant evidence that any of these supplements are helpful in preventing COVID. After Vita min D (mixed evidence) the level/quality of the evidence decreases substantially.
Beware of big pharma, but be equally beware of big placebo.

A recent excerpt from the BMJ "The panel agreed that low vitamin D status was associated with more severe outcomes from covid-19. It is not possible, however, to confirm causality because many of the risk factors for severe covid-19 outcomes are the same as the risk factors for low vitamin D levels. The serum concentration of vitamin D falls during a systemic inflammation which may occur during severe covid-19 illness and it is difficult to know if low vitamin D status causes poor outcomes or vice versa."

From the same article (keep in mind this is Britain, where vitamin D levels are even lower on average.
"Paul Chrisp, director of the Centre for Guidelines at NICE, said, “While there is insufficient evidence to recommend vitamin D for the prevention or treatment of covid-19 at this time, we encourage people to follow government advice on taking the supplement throughout the autumn and winter period. As research continues on the impact of vitamin D on covid-19, we are continuing to monitor evidence as it is published and will review and update the guidance if necessary.”

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just wish that I had learned to eat better when I was younger.
The more you study about keeping your body healthy, it's amazing how many things that are effected by vitamin D. Not much of a drug/supplement taker at all but every morning I take a pro-biotic, and vitamins B-C- & D with my breakfast. It's amazed me just how much healthier that I am now than I was when I was younger but eating so poorly.

It’s easy to get lost in the sea of nutrition advice. I’ve had great luck with just keeping it basic, I mostly eat wild game (moose and caribou mostly), add a good salad with dinner, no
Sodas, just water, a few beers on the weekend.

Tonight I had some moose tenderloin, Caesar salad and some beets that we grew in our greenhouse.

I’m just going to chug mtn ops supplements while hiking with a pack (and a flat brim hat) and post gym selfies on social media.

Will that work?

It should work to get you more attention on social media. Soon you’ll be able to say you’re an ‘influencer’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It will definitely work to get more attention on social media. Soon you’ll be able to say you’re an ‘influencer’

So true. There’s a guy up in Canada that added me as a friend on Facebook, the guy does get out hunting but mostly posts gym selfies and pics of his supplements and his booze, lots of subtle bragging etc. I pointed out that his squat form wasn’t great and he flipped out on me and called me a “fan”....a fan??? Of that guy??? Lol you added me on Facebook, I’m not your fan haha!!!

So true. There’s a guy up in Canada that added me as a friend on Facebook, the guy does get out hunting but mostly posts gym selfies and pics of his supplements and his booze, lots of subtle bragging etc. I pointed out that his squat form wasn’t great and he flipped out on me and called me a “fan”....a fan??? Of that guy??? Lol you added me on Facebook, I’m not your fan haha!!!

People like that never cease to disappoint! That’s funny though.

Sorry to the OP for high jacking the thread for a bit. I’m really liking reading everyone’s take on how they stay healthy, what works and what doesn’t.

Back on topic

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Having a good diet is very important, the hardest part for me was processed meats and breads. I used to really love sandwiches for lunch, A few years ago I got a bit more serious about meal preparation and started packing healthier lunches. I try to drink at least a gallon of water throughout the day but often I drink more than that.

I’ve found that for me, long endurance workouts used to run me down and I’d get sick a lot back when I ran u tea marathons. Now focusing on strength work and interval work it seems to boost my system rather than run me down.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
please for the sake of humanity do not take medical advice from a hunting forum

Nobody is giving out medical advice here. There is a big difference between “medical advice” and nutrition/exercise tips. I’d be willing to bet that there never has been and never will be diet or exercise advice on this board that can’t be found in books or the internet, it’s not the sort of stuff that requires a medical professional.

If you want unsolicited medical advice, check out the vaccination threads.

Geewhiz

WKR
We will never know since everything is classified covid.
Interestingly enough the flu does not seam to exist anymore. Or maybe people just don't care about it anymore. I work in a lab at a hospital and we have not had a single provider order an influenza test this season. As in since summer ended.....not a single one. Funny how that works isn't it.