COVID Home Workouts

All gyms have been shut down where I am and we are all working from home. There is no telling when they will be reopened. I am starting this thread for those of you in a similar position and want to stay in shape for hunting season. If you have a workout please share below. Here are the rules:

1) Assume no other equipment than some basic dumbbells.
2) Try and keep workout to a maximum of 45 minutes.

rclouse79

WKR
Just finished my home trx station for half the cost of one month at the ymca. I spanned four studs with two 2x4’s and attached a heavy duty anchor mount I picked up at Lowe’s for $8. I got some knock off straps off Amazon for $30. They work great. I am glad I took 3 months of classes so I know some routines. Awesome full body workout.
5F8FEC47-23E3-4683-8120-9453DD5C32BB.jpeg

satchamo

WKR
Just finished my home trx station for half the cost of one month at the ymca. I spanned four studs with two 2x4’s and attached a heavy duty anchor mount I picked up at Lowe’s for $8. I got some knock off straps off Amazon for $30. They work great. I am glad I took 3 months of classes so I know some routines. Awesome full body workout.
View attachment 166346

Man I work for a company that owns the brand lifeline fitness that sells a comparable product to the TRX called the jungle gym and we sold completely out of inventory that we had forecasted to get us into fall. It’s crazy how fast all our home gym products are going.

Sorry OP just had to toss that in there.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to do a lot more barbell strength work, but lately I have been doing "S&S" or Simple & Sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline. Its a very basic kettlebell program that only takes about 30 minutes, only requires one or two kettlebells, and really works quite well. It is designed to be a manageable workout that is done consistently every day and improvements are made slowly and with no rush or stress. I do that six days a week and get in a six mile hike on the weekend with my ruck.

I'll probably do this a few more weeks and then clean out my garage and get back to more barbell stuff, and continue the weekend hike.

Poser

WKR
I have 4 kettlebells (53# x2, 50#, & 30#... almost ordered some heavier KBs right at the beginning of this, but didn’t and now they are all sold out or super $$$) and a pull-up bar.

After some experimentation with movement combinations, I have settled into the following

A.
Double KB squats
Goblet squats
KB snatches
Pushups
KB Presses
KB swings
Box jumps

B.
Chin-ups
KB good mornings
Double KB power cleans
Double KB RDLs
Farmer Carries
Double KB swings
Hanging leg raises

Main issue I found was generating sufficient posture chain stress. Stacking one of the days with as much heavy weight and stress I can generate with what I have to work with seems to work best. KB good mornings were a bit of a surprise. Looking to get my chin up volume up to 100 reps 3x a week during the CV layover. Id still like to score some heavier KBs if possible, but it seems doubtful at this point.

I have 2 of my athletes training with stones. They're lifting, squatting, rowing, pressing, carrying and putting stones out in the woods. They're coupling those workouts with bodyweight exercises.

OP
O
How heavy of bells do you need?

I prefer to do a lot more barbell strength work, but lately I have been doing "S&S" or Simple & Sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline. Its a very basic kettlebell program that only takes about 30 minutes, only requires one or two kettlebells, and really works quite well. It is designed to be a manageable workout that is done consistently every day and improvements are made slowly and with no rush or stress. I do that six days a week and get in a six mile hike on the weekend with my ruck.

I'll probably do this a few more weeks and then clean out my garage and get back to more barbell stuff, and continue the weekend hike.
[/QUOTE

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a 70lb kettlebell, pull-up bar, jump ropes and a 90lb sandbag.

mice been using those and just going on walks most evenings with one of my packs loaded with about 50 lbs.

rclouse79

WKR
Have been looking at those as well. How long is your avg workout on the trx?
The classes at the ymca were an hour. I have been struggling to go much more than half an hour without someone telling me what to do. I used to do the hour classes twice a week, but will probably do workouts daily now.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
How heavy of bells do you need?

If you have never used kettlebells, start with a 35 maybe. He has some specific recommendations in the book. I think he says most guys will need to start with a 35, and will progress to a 53 fairly quickly. Im doing most of my work with the 53, and starting to work in sets with a 70.

mnwanders mentioned his Right of Passage program. It is in his book "Enter the Kettlebell". Also a great book. It is a more intense higher volume program, so if you get a 35 and 53, you could run those weights on S&S for a few months and then progress to Right of Passage with the same kettlebells for a while.

Brendan

WKR
Leg Blasters can kick your ass. Work up, and keep time between sets short once you get used to them. Work great for skiing, bet they'll be a big help for the mountains this fall.

OP
O
This is a good one. You can sub bird dogs on knees or from push on #6. Try and make it through 3 rounds...

Attachments

• IMG_0023.jpg
    IMG_0023.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 43

fatlander

WKR
The Murph

Do this all for time:

1 mile run
300 air squats
200 pushups
100 pull-ups
1 mile run

Absolutely fantastic full body workout. It’s not for the faint of heart. Breaking the body movement exercise into small sets is best.

Example: 50 set of 6 squats, 4 pushups, 2 pulls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
O
The Murph

Do this all for time:

1 mile run
300 air squats
200 pushups
100 pull-ups
1 mile run

Absolutely fantastic full body workout. It’s not for the faint of heart. Breaking the body movement exercise into small sets is best.

Example: 50 set of 6 squats, 4 pushups, 2 pulls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is considered a good time?