Covid positive hospital patient visitation policy

fwafwow

WKR
Has anyone recently encountered the policy of “no visitors” when an admitted patient has tested positive for Covid? We are having some challenges in speaking to anyone about how long this policy applies to a hospital in Ohio. My 93 year old father tested positive two weeks ago tomorrow and he’s been in this hospital twice and is isolated. The isolation is becoming a real mental and emotional health problem.

It’s a bit of a vicious circle - the decision on whether and when to lift the isolation policy apparently rests with the doctor, who is too busy to communicate (and his only feedback to the nurse was “not today”). The nurses are busy but can speak to us and seem empathetic. The front desk says there is no administration person to talk to - “call the nurses’ station.” The Patient Rights number goes to voicemail. But we are concerned the admin or Patient Rights people will just say to call the station, and/or piss off the people who are caring for our father.

Any suggestions on how to get the policy lifted would be much appreciated. EDIT - this isn’t a state law issue, as other hospitals in Ohio have a different policy.

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
Sorry - I will edit to add this. We want the isolation policy lifted.

Sure. I think you may be dealing with a hospital policy. That is how it is at my facility. Our sister facility across town was allowing visitors, but have canceled that in the last few weeks due to the most recent surge. We have had families request their loved ones be moved and seen that happen.

If it is up to the Dr you need to make one person your spokesperson, call and speak with nursing staff and then ask to speak with their manager. It is absolute bullshit the Dr is not talking to you whether this is his decision or not.

Who told you it is up to the Dr?

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Sure. I think you may be dealing with a hospital policy. That is how it is at my facility. Our sister facility across town was allowing visitors, but have canceled that in the last few weeks due to the most recent surge. We have had families request their loved ones be moved and seen that happen.

If it is up to the Dr you need to make one person your spokesperson, call and speak with nursing staff and then ask to speak with their manager. It is absolute bullshit the Dr is not talking to you whether this is his decision or not.

Thank you. We would move him to a place with a different policy if he wasn’t so frail, and had not already gone through the ER wait, admission, maybe a premature release - followed by another ER wait and admission….

The nurse I spoke to said it’s up to the doctor.

Fatcamp

WKR
Thank you. We would move him to a place with a different policy if he wasn’t so frail, and had not already gone through the ER wait, admission, maybe a premature release - followed by another ER wait and admission….

The nurse I spoke to said it’s up to the doctor.

Gotcha. Probably no manager to speak with tonight. First thing in the morning have someone call. The Dr can't just decide to not speak with family because they are busy.

Case management will have someone assigned to your father who participates in daily rounds and can help with communication. For my facility unless a patient is end of life or asymptomatic we are not allowing visitors.

If they do decide to allow visitors it will likely come with conditions. Be sure all family members understand and follow those to the letter. Unfortunately, nursing staff is left to enforce these rules and it is a horrible drain on morale.

So sorry you are dealing with this. Such a horrible situation. Hope you find the answers you are looking for. I have lived it firsthand and know how difficult of a situation it is.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Unfortunately, nursing staff is left to enforce these rules and it is a horrible drain on morale.
Ugh - this is part of what I was hoping to avoid. The nurses seem to be doing a great job, and perhaps there is some level of disconnect here, but I don't want to end up imposing more on those whose time is needed the most. I just think he's about to give up.

Thank you for your help.

MattB

WKR
Taking another approach, can you get him an iPad to Facetime? Not the same as in-person visits, but it could help bridge the gap in the interim.

My best to your dad, hopefully he is home soon.

packer58

WKR
I'm going through the exact same thing with my mom in a Reno hospital, one of my sisters and I were able to visit one at a time Monday and my youngest sister was going to visit yesterday and was turned away.

Feeling your pain for sure

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Taking another approach, can you get him an iPad to Facetime? Not the same as in-person visits, but it could help bridge the gap in the interim.

My best to your dad, hopefully he is home soon.
Thank you. We thought of that and haven’t ruled it out. He’s technically challenged at his age, especially due to the added confusion brought on by low O2, Covid and isolation. It would probably depend on the staff, and we are having problems getting his essentials (glasses and hearing aid batteries) delivered on a timely basis. But this is a (hopeful) fallback.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I'm going through the exact same thing with my mom in a Reno hospital, one of my sisters and I were able to visit one at a time Monday and my youngest sister was going to visit yesterday and was turned away.

Feeling your pain for sure
Thank you. Good luck!

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I don't know if it would apple in the situation you are in but, most hospital have a patient/family member advocate you can talk to and see if there is anything they can do to help.
We had to go to an advocate when my father in law was put on life support even though he had a DNR and no life support in his will. They got life support removed. He passed within an hour. I hope you get this resolved.

AZ8

WKR
I wish you and your family well and hope they let you see your father. It’s a tragedy what’s being done to those that really need an advocate and family contact.

My uncle passed away alone because of this policy. Saddest MF’ing thing I’ve ever seen….

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I don't know if it would apple in the situation you are in but, most hospital have a patient/family member advocate you can talk to and see if there is anything they can do to help.
We had to go to an advocate when my father in law was put on life support even though he had a DNR and no life support in his will. They got life support removed. He passed within an hour. I hope you get this resolved.
Thanks. I called what I think is the equivalent at this hospital and the outgoing VM message said “for current patients call the nurse station”. SMH

I ran into this with my dad. My mom was the spokesperson. i got in because my mom told them I was going on a 15 day back country expedition in the brooks range Alaska and it Was incredibly dangerous. So they put me in a space looking suit and they said I had 20 mins. The nurse came in and saw how good and happy my dad was I got to spend 2 hrs there. Next day I was on a plane headed moose hunting. Dad went home 4 days later. He was there 67 days total only seeing my mom once and my sister once who went in with our preacher man.
im so sorry your dads sick. It’s definitely no fun.

Has anyone recently encountered the policy of “no visitors” when an admitted patient has tested positive for Covid? We are having some challenges in speaking to anyone about how long this policy applies to a hospital in Ohio. My 93 year old father tested positive two weeks ago tomorrow and he’s been in this hospital twice and is isolated. The isolation is becoming a real mental and emotional health problem.

It’s a bit of a vicious circle - the decision on whether and when to lift the isolation policy apparently rests with the doctor, who is too busy to communicate (and his only feedback to the nurse was “not today”). The nurses are busy but can speak to us and seem empathetic. The front desk says there is no administration person to talk to - “call the nurses’ station.” The Patient Rights number goes to voicemail. But we are concerned the admin or Patient Rights people will just say to call the station, and/or piss off the people who are caring for our father.

Any suggestions on how to get the policy lifted would be much appreciated. EDIT - this isn’t a state law issue, as other hospitals in Ohio have a different policy.

I work at a major academic hospital. I would say the rules change constantly. My mom was a patient for a weekend and the nurse threatened to have his manager ask me to leave because my dad was there and the new rule de jour was one visitor. Get this, one visitor per patient per entire hospital stay. I am a surgeon there and politely told him I am not leaving and he is more than welcome to get his manager.

I know my feelings around all of this. There is no data to say that one vs two vs fifty visitors makes a difference. I also know there are many patients that don’t get proper good byes and support. But my opinion is the hospitals, schools and, well, everyone keeps making rules based on no data because they feel they have to do something.

I’ll bit my lip before I get upset. I wish your family and any one else who are I’ll during these visitation restrictions the best and my prayers are with all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll tell you the doctors have no say. It’s all administrative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Sorry to hear but just know you aren't alone. That is the policy of every hospital we utilize. Our policy is no riders in the ambulance with the exception of one parent of a minor. The policies here are dictated by the county medical authority.

Absurd that hospitals are still keeping families from seeing patients.

I am a nurse and have worked in the ER and ICU since this pandemic started. Facilitating family presence at the bedside is essential in the healing process and also in the grieving process.

My hospital had the stupid no visitor policy when COVID first hit. We got rid of that after a couple months because too many people were dying alone. We now allow COVID patients to have one visitor at a time, or up to 6 if death is imminent.

There are dozens of studies that show that family presence actually helps people heal quicker.

I encourage you to have a calm and rational conversation with hospital admin about visiting. The nurses have no say when it comes to visitation. Although i will say I use to violate the visitation policy often and let people come visit their sick family. I found it barbaric to keep people separated.

vortex

Lil-Rokslider
Goes both ways . We let them stay at first and multiple fly members came back through the er after their fly member passed was admitted and passed away as well . First round was terrible and delta last summer same. Saw many husband and wives and aunts and uncles pass after visiting for several days. Most of them wudnt even wear a mask when visiting. But yea dying alone must suck. We used to use facetime for family sometimes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro