Cow decoy worth it for a solo hunter?

def90

WKR
OK, so I have a small wallow located in an area I am hunting that is surrounded by somewhat dense forest. I only have one good shooting lane as an archer, if I was rifle hunting I would have many more options for windows to shoot through, but not with an arrow. I placed a trail cam over the wallow on Sunday Labor day weekend and picked it up on Friday. There was daily activity with a window of activity between 6 and 8 am and then again later in the afternoon after 4. Then a fair amount of use throughout the night.

The winds in this area can be swirly. I'm thinking that if I was going to sit this wallow that placing a decoy in the middle of it might help overcome some hesitancy for an elk to enter if the wind swirls and they catch a smell of something they don't like?

What does the hive mind say?

IMG_0091.JPG

IMG_0168.JPG

My only clear lane, you can see the little pine tree in both of the pics above..

IMG_20220904_065451818 - Copy.jpg

MT_Nate

FNG
I didn't read every response to your original post...so may be repeating...I have had some good success with decoys when the situation to actually set it up was present.

BUT, if you get a decoy get the BUTT decoy. I had issues with decoys with a 'head' looking at the bull (or the 2D plane that was being presented made their head look funny). I found elk coming in were really confused that the elk head and ears never moved...at least with the butt, it looks like they're feeding and ignoring an interested bull, which seemed to pique interest....and the angle doesn't seem to matter as much.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
If you go the Montana route take off the stakes and loop paracord from ass to to head. Its a quicker set up as you can just hang it on a low limb, bush, etc. Hanging it also creates movement if you have some wind.
Lastly call back to the decoy. Throw that sound to it so the animal is trying to locate the sound and gets a visual.

We use the butt only feeding one.

Lastly as CNELk said, gotta put it where the elk can see it and complimentary to the expected shooting lane.
I use almost this exact setup mostly when by myself. I have the Montana decoy with the head up. I have a bungy through the head only and always hang from a tree limb. Bungy then doubles to hold it together when folded. Also have a strap to simply then throw it around my neck rather than putting it in my pack. Ready to deploy quick. Pop it open, hang it up and shift myself to the side.
Any slight breeze will move it and it looks pretty realistic. Position it to my side 20 to 30 yards when I have one coming in and I'm solo. Works like a champ. The bull sees the decoy and focuses there, giving me those extra seconds for a shot. If not using it, the bull will focus on the sound of my calls - meaning me.
I've had the most success when NOT chasing bugles from a bull but, bringing him in during the rut. Thus, using a decoy works - for me. Cow calls have always worked best for me. Bugles are a challenge and unless it's early rut and the bulls are gathering cows and chasing off their competition, I've learned they are much more apt to come in to cow calls, looking to add to their harem. Brought in multiple bulls this way when solo. Others have success chasing bulls. I bring them to me and have success. The decoy helps me. YMMV