Cow Elk Decoy

Im getting a heads up for my elk hunt this year. Hunting solo so hoping it helps at least take the bulls Eyes off of me

Beendare

WKR
The heads up dekes are easier to pack and quicker to deploy that the montanas...but you have to hold them so be prepared for a frontal shot. Sure you can prop them up somewhere...and they do make a bracket for them....but holding is your best strategy, IMO. My advice; Think realism...and don't overcall.

Frontal is a deadly shot when taken up close so you can pinpoint it with a penetrating setup and strong BH. There is a big hole in their skeletal structure you can pound an arrow in there. Typically I shoot a little higher on these frontals than I do on a BS shot.

OP
M
The heads up dekes are easier to pack and quicker to deploy that the montanas...but you have to hold them so be prepared for a frontal shot. Sure you can prop them up somewhere...and they do make a bracket for them....but holding is your best strategy, IMO. My advice; Think realism...and don't overcall.

Frontal is a deadly shot when taken up close so you can pinpoint it with a penetrating setup and strong BH. There is a big hole in their skeletal structure you can pound an arrow in there. Typically I shoot a little higher on these frontals than I do on a BS shot.

Thanks for all the great information!

EC4reel

FNG
I got one for last years season. I carried the Rump all season but only used it a handful of times. I had about a 50% success rate with getting a bull interested vs them running for the next county.

OP
M
I got one for last years season. I carried the Rump all season but only used it a handful of times. I had about a 50% success rate with getting a bull interested vs them running for the next county.

Do you think they ran because of the decoy or something else (swirling wind etc)? I would even say 50 percent is pretty decent odds.

Beendare

WKR
Muley,
so one year I had backpacked in to a group of friends camp 8 miles into the Weiminuche to call for them. I brought all 3 Montanas as I had tagged out and wasn't hauling my bow. We had met on a finger ridge 1/2 hr before dark and saw a cow 1/2 mile away bail off the end of the opposite ridge. Mu gut told me a bull was chasing so I told the boys hurry up....and we dumped off the finger down onto a little flat spot facing the other ridge and quickly set up the dekes.

Sure enough....a small bull pops out that was dogging the cow and I went into calling mode....the bull instantly turned and headed our way. It took him about 15 minutes as he had to cross a big avalanche chute...but we had him 15 yds from the dekes!

Could you have called that bull without them? I doubt it.

OP
M
Muley,
so one year I had backpacked in to a group of friends camp 8 miles into the Weiminuche to call for them. I brought all 3 Montanas as I had tagged out and wasn't hauling my bow. We had met on a finger ridge 1/2 hr before dark and saw a cow 1/2 mile away bail off the end of the opposite ridge. Mu gut told me a bull was chasing so I told the boys hurry up....and we dumped off the finger down onto a little flat spot facing the other ridge and quickly set up the dekes.

Sure enough....a small bull pops out that was dogging the cow and I went into calling mode....the bull instantly turned and headed our way. It took him about 15 minutes as he had to cross a big avalanche chute...but we had him 15 yds from the dekes!

Could you have called that bull without them? I doubt it.

That's a great example of it working... I'm going to keep my eye open in the bargain cave and see if I can pick one up and see what happens.

I completely agree with this. The mobility and packability of these decoys are what make them the best. The Heads Up Decoy is light weight and compact, yet very realistic and effective. For an archery hunter, HUD is the way to go.

OP
M
I completely agree with this. The mobility and packability of these decoys are what make them the best. The Heads Up Decoy is light weight and compact, yet very realistic and effective. For an archery hunter, HUD is the way to go.

Thanks Adam for the input!

By the way your blog is fantastic and full of great information! I recommend people go check it out! Maybe some day I'll make the trip to Colorado for an elk hunt... but it's sure hard to leave Idaho to go hunt somewhere else! Lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have the Heads Up decoy, but I never use it. As soon as I'm locked onto a bull, the last thing I want is something else in my hands. And I'm usually on the move. If my buddy that doesn't archery hunt goes with me, I give it to him and he can do whatever he wants with it. But once I'm chasing a bull, he's usually way far behind somewhere.

OP
M
I have the Heads Up decoy, but I never use it. As soon as I'm locked onto a bull, the last thing I want is something else in my hands. And I'm usually on the move. If my buddy that doesn't archery hunt goes with me, I give it to him and he can do whatever he wants with it. But once I'm chasing a bull, he's usually way far behind somewhere.

I completely understand what your saying but I'm starting to see it could be very useful in some situations situations. I guess it's better to have and not need than not have it and need it for the possibility it may work. Thanks for your experience with it!

Beendare

WKR

Yeah, I get that.

Another good option is that Ultimate Predator decoy. Light as a feather and mounts to your bow...so nothing extra to hold. Those are pretty slick since the decoy itself conceals your draw.

I have one for deer and am thinking about picking one up for elk. [a no brainer if I didn't already have 5 decoys!] My guess is you will have to be prepared to shoot that frontal shot [up close its deadly] as those bulls will come directly in head on.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have one for deer and am thinking about picking one up for elk. [a no brainer if I didn't already have 5 decoys!] My guess is you will have to be prepared to shoot that frontal shot [up close its deadly] as those bulls will come directly in head on.

But what incentive is there for a bull to see the decoy and then continue to keep coming in to it? I guess I could see maybe a satellite or raghorn doing that, but most dominant bulls won't do that because they know they don't have to come in. They call the cow to them.

I feel like if I were to use a heads up I would feel much better throwing it up behind a tree or a bush 40-50 yards behind me. Almost like you would set up a caller. I don't really want him looking directly at me. I would hope having it that far behind me would help pull him into bow range

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I get that.

Another good option is that Ultimate Predator decoy. Light as a feather and mounts to your bow...so nothing extra to hold. Those are pretty slick since the decoy itself conceals your draw.

I apprecaite all the information you have shared !

Not to derail this thread ( maybe you can start another one ? ) On shot placement for a frontal shot ? I have only ever shot one game animal head on, white tail doe, from the ground and under 10 yards and it didn't end well for me. I have seen numerous videos of kills made from a frontal shot on elk just wondering where is the "sweet spot" ? thanks !

UtahJimmy

WKR
Yeah, I get that.

I got my father in law the predator elk decoy (also picked up the mule deer for myself) for Christmas this year. He was so stoked! We can't wait to use it this year in MT.

I've used the Montana decoy cow #1 before while being the caller. Works great! Just a PITA if you are anything other than the caller. The stakes are pretty pointless if you move frequently between calling sets and they don't fair well in the wind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I have set up my Montana elk decoy out in front of my tree stand with decent success

Beendare

WKR
That frontal is a deadly shot.....but its just like anything else...know an animal and its anatomy. i doubt I would take a frontal shot on a whitetail past about 20'. They move lightning fast.

Elk are a lot slower. sure they can move quick....but its all about your skills as a hunter reading body language and knowing what you and your equipment are capable of. I wouldn't shoot a frontal elk past about 25 yds...and in some cases where he has me made...it would be a lot closer.

I've seen about 10 elk killed front on...about 5 myself. Never lost one of those frontals.
elk frontal.JPG

as you can see above...you don't even shoot through a rib cage. I aim lower 1/3rd on a broadside shot....but higher on a frontal....about midway or even higher. If you hung a necklace around that bulls neck you can get into the vitals on that line of the collar for almost a full circle excepting the upper section. If you go too wide and catch the shoulder you are eff'd.

bullelkclose red.jpg

^ heres a good pic.....and the one below is a deers skeleton...so of course everything is much larger on an elk.

Deer skeleton.JPG

I've shot them in the collar just inside the shoulder at very close range...buried the arrow in the guts on one....exit out the paunch on another...and they don't make it 30 yds- poleaxes them. If you can pinpoint the shot....and they are so close they don't have time to react...its deadly.