Cow Elk Decoy

What are your guys thoughts on using the cow elk decoy during the September rut for archery? I've seen a few people use them on shows but kind sparks my interest in trying something new and different to close the distance on those stubborn bulls.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I carried one with me on a short 3 day hunt towards the end of archery Elk in Colorado last year. I called in my first bull ever, but had left my damn decoy back at camp. Doh! The bull came in silent and surprised the absolute crap outta me. If I had the deke set up behind and/or off to my side, I really think I would have had a chance at getting a shot. I have the Elk Rump Montana Decoy.

OP
M
I carried one with me on a short 3 day hunt towards the end of archery Elk in Colorado last year. I called in my first bull ever, but had left my damn decoy back at camp. Doh! The bull came in silent and surprised the absolute crap outta me. If I had the deke set up behind and/or off to my side, I really think I would have had a chance at getting a shot. I have the Elk Rump Montana Decoy.

Oh shoot I bet you won't let that happen again lol thanks for sharing your experience! The Montana ones are the ones I've been looking at just trying to decide which one.

I got one and rarely use it even though we always bring it. It's kind of a hassle to set it but every situation is different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whip

WKR
I think in the right situation a decoy could really help seal the deal. I do carry one most of the time - like Nomad, I have the Montana rump decoy.
The downside to me is that often times as an encounter takes place I need to relocate or go chase a bull. Since I typically set up the decoy behind and to the side of me I hate having to backtrack to retrieve it before moving.
One thing that I did to make the decoy more accessible is to sew up a belt pouch for it. At least I don't have to take my pack on and off to get at it or put it away.

Colberjs

WKR
I bought the Montana elk rump for about $20 in the Cabela's bargain cave last summer. I took it to CO with me in sept. archery but never got a chance to try it out.

oldgoat

WKR
Couple times I had it along and didn't set it up and wish I had, couple of times I had it and did set it up and wish I didn't or wish I had set it differently, lol. When it works, it's amazing what you can get away with, when it doesn't, it doesn't. I'll keep carrying it and setting it up more often, also bought a cow elk hat for the coming season. I don't use decoys during muzzleloader season unless I'm dead sure I'm in an area by myself and wear or display prominently some blaze orange! I don't carry the poles, I have 1/8" bungee cord with clips on the end and hang the elk between a couple of trees or on a bush, makes setup faster and carry lighter!

FlyGuy

WKR
I picked one up to try this september, but will be hunting in pairs so the caller will be using it. Not sure that I would bother with it very often on solo hunts

todde1792

FNG
We had eyes on a bull a couple years ago that locked up in a boulder/ alder patch and he wouldn't budge, my buddy set up his cow decoy and that sucker went nuts! We never did connect on that bull, but when the chips were down and we were all out of tricks, that worked!

OP
M
We had eyes on a bull a couple years ago that locked up in a boulder/ alder patch and he wouldn't budge, my buddy set up his cow decoy and that sucker went nuts! We never did connect on that bull, but when the chips were down and we were all out of tricks, that worked!

Too bad on not closing the deal on the bull but I'm sure the show was still well worth it!

I have several different decoys. First time I used one (Montana), I had a 5pt. Come in before I even got the last stale in the ground. Had set my bow aside so never got a shot. Last year I used a Heads Up on a bull bedded down at midday, and walked 200 yards across a wide open meadow and got to 50 yards before the bull stood up. A friend that had the tag wanted to pass on it so he said to see how it would work. We were surprised he waited that long before he moved. Had I been hunting, I could have had a shot. So I think they can work!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I've been using them for many years. Currently I have 3 montanas and a heads up. I've called/seen about 30 bulls killed with these dekes....some of them myself.

This was the setup on a solo DIY archery hunt....
edit; I was actually sitting right behind/ to the side of the decoy when I shot....the pic is when I went back for my decoy
decoy set red.jpg

And this was the bull with the herd I called from about 150 yds away in that pretty open burn
bull front red1.jpg

This is last year...
decoy re.jpg

As with anything its a learning curve...but I can tell you they are deadly if you use them right. Anyone that tells you different ...just hasn't figured them out yet- <grin>

OP
M
I have several different decoys. First time I used one (Montana), I had a 5pt. Come in before I even got the last stale in the ground. Had set my bow aside so never got a shot. Last year I used a Heads Up on a bull bedded down at midday, and walked 200 yards across a wide open meadow and got to 50 yards before the bull stood up. A friend that had the tag wanted to pass on it so he said to see how it would work. We were surprised he waited that long before he moved. Had I been hunting, I could have had a shot. So I think they can work!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight! Sounds like a pretty fun experience!

OP
M
I've been using them for many years. Currently I have 3 montanas and a heads up. I've called/seen about 30 bulls killed with these dekes....some of them myself.

This was the setup on a solo DIY archery hunt....
edit; I was actually sitting right behind/ to the side of the decoy when I shot....the pic is when I went back for my decoy
View attachment 50622

And this was the bull with the herd I called from about 150 yds away in that pretty open burn
View attachment 50623

This is last year...
View attachment 50624

As with anything its a learning curve...but I can tell you they are deadly if you use them right. Anyone that tells you different ...just hasn't figured them out yet- <grin>

Absolutely it's a learning curve! I'm just scratching the surface and can't wait to give it a shot if the situation arises where I think it would be useful! Thank you for sharing your experience and a great pictures!

kicker338

WKR
I have the full broad side cow decoy and it's abit iffy as when and where I can use it. I also tried something els last yr. a lot of controversy to doing this. If anyone tries this just keep in mind the potential danger involved. To explain this you have to start at the beginning. Most every bow hunter and I'm talking bow hunting only, heads to the wood wearing camo to hide themselves from elk.Last yr. I did the exact opposite I had my wife make me an outfit that from the knees up was the same color as an elks body. The sleeves and pants from the knees down were a dark brown to resemble an elks legs. Because of the wet weather I was unable to really give it a good test on elk but on deer it worked outstanding. On 2 different white taid does with yrlings they were within 15 to 20yds from me. They staired at me for a long time then went back to feeding. I blew my buggle several times and in both instances they just up real quick at me then went right back to feeding. Going to try it again this coming season but in archery season only. I WILL NEVER TRY THIS IN GUN SEASON, COMMIN SENSE .

OP
M
I have the full broad side cow decoy and it's abit iffy as when and where I can use it. I also tried something els last yr. a lot of controversy to doing this. If anyone tries this just keep in mind the potential danger involved. To explain this you have to start at the beginning. Most every bow hunter and I'm talking bow hunting only, heads to the wood wearing camo to hide themselves from elk.Last yr. I did the exact opposite I had my wife make me an outfit that from the knees up was the same color as an elks body. The sleeves and pants from the knees down were a dark brown to resemble an elks legs. Because of the wet weather I was unable to really give it a good test on elk but on deer it worked outstanding. On 2 different white taid does with yrlings they were within 15 to 20yds from me. They staired at me for a long time then went back to feeding. I blew my buggle several times and in both instances they just up real quick at me then went right back to feeding. Going to try it again this coming season but in archery season only. I WILL NEVER TRY THIS IN GUN SEASON, COMMIN SENSE .

I have to say that is a first I've ever heard of that lol but hey whatever works to get the job done! I definitely agree with you on only trying it during archery season. Even when we were haulin my buck out last year and had orange on the horns on my back I still get nervous some ding dong was going to shoot me lol

kicker338

WKR
It was a crazy idea I dreamed up but the idea behind it was instead of trying to hide from an elk, which for the most part doesn't work, I thought why not try to resemble an elk. A friend of my after seeing that outfit, left a note on my truck telling me to be real careful in the brush, seeing just a part of it threw the brush, it looks just like a part of an elk. Mane reason I wouldn't even think of trying it in gun season.

OP
M
It was a crazy idea I dreamed up but the idea behind it was instead of trying to hide from an elk, which for the most part doesn't work, I thought why not try to resemble an elk. A friend of my after seeing that outfit, left a note on my truck telling me to be real careful in the brush, seeing just a part of it threw the brush, it looks just like a part of an elk. Mane reason I wouldn't even think of trying it in gun season.

That's awesome! I would really like to see some pictures if you don't mind showing it off just out of curiosity. I promise not to steal your idea lol