Cow elk like the rain

cnelk

WKR
I seamed some vid clips together of some cows and calves that came out to feed during a rain storm.

Question - what do you suppose happened to the tail of the 2nd cow (with calf) on the right?

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Great video. Perpahs that cow had a run in with a short biting coyote? I shot a whitetail doe a few years back that looked really similar, there was just a little nubbin of tailbone left with bare skin over it.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
We have had 3 or 4 nub tailed whitetails on our property in the last 13 years in Michigan. I can’t find the quote but I remember reading John Ozoga’s column in Deer & Deer hunting in which he stated something like- “when a doe has fawns she will run last years fawns off before they are born. If any of her fawns were does from the previous year they will be able to later rejoin her forming a family group. At some point in a fit of jealousy the hiefer will bite its younger sibling by the tail and whip its head, using its neck muscles to send the youngster flying. The force of this action breaks the tail.” I can’t speak to the validity of this, but I believe it has merit.