Cow Elk Near Price, UT

Calbuck

WKR
Hey all, I "won" a cow hunt on a CWMU southwest of Price, UT. I've never been in that area and just curious if anyone has hunted near Gentry Mountain area. Don't know what to expect there, but hoping there's been enough weather/snow to move elk down. Any input welcome!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weather pretty mild here in town. What CMU are you heading too?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
Hiawatha..curious what we're in for out there, as my uncle is hunting also and he is 76 yrs old. Hoping he'll be able to get it done

I'm betting the elk are there already. Weather has been pretty mild but it doesn't take much to move the cow/calf herds off into that country. There's plenty of snow on top now for them to be in their winter range. That CWMU covers a lot of elevation change.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
Yeah that's what it looks like on the maps. I've heard/read that it's a pretty rugged area so hopefully we'll be able to get my uncle on something near a road or at the bottom..not too worried about myself. Heard there's plenty of animals there

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was actually in Hiawatha last week looking for deer on the winter grounds. Hardly any snow up high only about half the amount of deer as normal. I wouldn't worry about it to much they have excellent success rates. I assume they will be taking you out

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
No my deal is unguided. The operators name in Jenkins. I'm not really worried about it but just curious what the area is like. We're hauling my 25 ft toyhauler out there and will have side by side and 4 wheeler as well as backpacks if need be. I've already got a bull this yr so this hunt is an extra

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've never been up to the mine area. I wouldn't really describe most of the area rugged. Some steep sure but it's fairly wide open pinion country. Not sure what my work schedule will be or their guest policy but I could throw on the pack if you need a hand. Good luck it's some cool country with some really good deer around

OP
Calbuck

Calbuck

WKR
Thanks for the offer that's really nice of you! We'll see what happens, I'm in decent shape and sounds like it'll be plenty cold so no big hurry packing out. If we can get on a couple cows that'll be great. Thanks for the heads up on the terrain, that's definitely the kind of info I'm looking for. I told my unc that I'd haul out his meat if he gets one