Cow elk rifle hunt

Robertsj22

Lil-Rokslider
Any recommendations for a cow hunt for newbie to elk hunting. Thinking a cow hunt would be a good solo adventure for my first time out west. I currently have zero points in any state

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like a tough feat first elk hunt solo cow. Sure it could be done...maybe look later season closer tot he road if your by yourself. Think all the western states should have options for ya.

Wiljam09

FNG
Good luck, it sounds like a lot of people have the same idea. Should be a good experience for first time out. Planning on doing the same thing.

In states with points it almost seems like it would be hard to jump in that game if looking for a bull. Points creep in prime units seems huge, but you could always hope to get drawn random.

Marble

WKR
Starting out huntng cows is a great way to get expereince. You learn most everything you need to know for a rifle bull hunt, with a little more ease in filling a tag. Go for it!

JordanAdams

Lil-Rokslider
We tried the late season cow elk rifle hunt by Laramie peak in Wyoming and it was rough. Where all the elk were hung up in was snowed in and without hiking the 3 miles in one way or finding the warden with a tracked vehicle it was gonna be tough just getting to where the elk were. We finally ended up finding the warden but come to find out he had written permission slips for a few hunters even though it was supposed to be a limited 20 permits per week and you had to draw the Mentor Knob permission slips like we did so not only did they have the tracked side by side which was the only thing that could get you back in there far enough but they ended up shooting/wounding a bunch of elk and pushed them to the neighbors. We got in there the next day and found a bunch of carcasses and the elk had not come back from the neighbors. So we came home empty handed after tent camping in December in Wyoming for three days. We’ll be going somewhere else next year since it turned into a big rodeo and was just more frustrating than enjoyable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's me! I'm doing a reduced price cow hunt in WY for my first out of state hunt. Only 300 bux. There is a lot of good info out there, I would look at 34, 35, 37, 48, 49, 53, 54, and 64 for a cow hunt. That being said I'm pretty sure I dont know what I'm doing. I'm just going to go for it come this fall. I just wanna see some cows and hear some bugles.

Travis was that a pretty easy process purchasing your reduced cow tag? I assume that’s OTC?

Roberts- I ended up purchasing a 2020 late season cow elk tag. Just to learn the basics. If I was to do it all over again I’d probably look at WY (cheaper) or maybe UT. Haven’t read in Colorado’s reg however, I’d assume they’d have a similar late season cow for NR.