Cow Elk WY 120

Me and my hunting partner drew Type 6 cow elk tags for WY unit 120. Crazy excited to try our hands at elk being nether of us have hunted them before. Any recommendations, experiences, tips, tricks, etc. we are all ears. We both are experienced hunters and have talked about elk hunting together since we were little and finally doing it. Neither of us has ever been there so we are going there in a few weeks to scout and then return for the beginning of rifle season. Generally speaking, any ideas on where elk might be that time of year? we are thinking of focusing our time around water sources in upper elevations. thoughts.. Thanks in advance for any insight or knowledge of the area.

Laramie

WKR
No personal experience in that area. That said a few things to help.

Be flexible and pay attention to what areas other local hunters are hitting. Look for escape routes the elk use to get away from the pressure. Know that herds of cows and calves will react strongly to snow. Sometimes one storm can cause them to change elevations by several thousand feet.

Good luck

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your position last year in Wyoming with a Type 6 tag in a different unit. First off, its a ton of fun. We saw lots of local pressure on the weekends, but most people never left the road. A couple locals were super nice and pointed out a couple ridges we could hike and that paid off. We ended up filling 1 of 2 tags with only 3 days of hunting. PM me if you want anymore detailed info.