cow elk

bnsafe

WKR
I'm gonna be in Colorado the week after muzzleloader season an was thinking about getting a cow tag in units 6,7,8,171, or around that area west of fort Collins. I'm not asking for spots, just asking how rough the Terrain is in that area, would there be some cows around then or would they be pushed into the nastiest Terrain there is, and about camping sites. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Iv never hunted elk or the mountains before an will be by myself so I'm a little jumpy. Thanks, scott

Scott,

Get on google earth and check out the Terrain. I have not hunted any of those areas but that's where I always start. Also...check out HUNTDATA.COM and look at migration routes, herd concentration maps. Good luck sir. Its a little overwhelming at first but keep tuned in we are all here to help.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
Thanks Evan, I will do that an have looked at the Dow site, etc. Haven't ordered any maps yet til I make up my mind I'm going. Mainly I wasn't sure if all the hunting pressure before then would cause them to disappear. I thought bout woodland park area down your way. Was there a couple years ago on vac. Man ike jealous of you guys. Anyway, thanks for your thoughts, I really do appreciate them. Scott

cnelk

WKR
The units 7 & 8 are draw units. The units 171 and 6 are OTC. North Park [Walden] consists of 6/16/161/17/171 all OTC

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I couldn't remember the exact units. Walden area is where I want to go. When my dad was young he had a uncle and brother that logged in the area so he speñt some time there. He doesn't know anybody there now an didn't hunt but that's where I want to hunt.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
Ok, ive decided on gamut 6, right or wrong. Now, how do I find places to park the truck an camp. Will the cows be pushed back from anything accessible or will the early archery an ml guys push them into hiding. I want to camp out of my trailblazer an walk in from there. Is there Dow guys in the area to call an are there maps to buy. So sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm just lost on how to do this, thanks, scott

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
Another question, sorry. I called the Dow an they suggested ml in unit 16. Any general thoughts of this area, Terrain, access, pressure, camping spots, etc. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.