Cow hunting during the rut

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m cow hunting in az unit 10 and it seems the rut is happening. I have been fairly successful cow hunting over the last several years. I usually spot and stalk hunt them. This year there is much smaller groups of cows and they all have bulls with them. The bulls seem to be pushing them around a bunch more than they would normally be. Last week when I was scouting there were still larger herds of cows with just a few bulls. I’m contemplating if I should try to call to the bulls and get at the cows that way? I feel like I’ve been close, had a bull bugling right in my face, was pretty cool but I’m after cows. I have been pretty conservative by not busting into the areas where I’ve seen them bed in the morning. Any tips appreciated. Service sucks so I’ll check back as able. Thanks

Huntinaz

Lil-Rokslider
Spot and stalk is very productive this time of year. Still hunting juniper/piñon bedding areas is a great way to kill cows, especially this time of year. I’m assuming this is a rifle hunt

OP
C

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
Finished the hunt up successfully. Me and my buddies had to call to get them. Was pretty fun hunting in the rut. Bugles all over, very responsive to calls, bulls everywhere

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
Can you tell the story? Did you draw them over with bugles or cow chatter?

During archery season (any elk) my buddy and I had several quiet bull encounters where we had been cow calling while taking a break.. but never had cows move to check us out.

On a previous hunt, we were archery hunting cows and not having luck seeing them so we started bugling. Had a bull and group of cows near and the cows left the bull to see us. The bull proceeded to lose his mind at his cows leaving which made for an exciting set.

OP
C

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
We were able to see elk everyday but they were moving around a bunch and we couldn’t get close to them. With how much bugling there was we went and bought elk calls. I can make an ok cow sound but the worst bugles you’ve ever heard. I actually cut the bottom off a water bottle to use as a bugle tube. It was bad. They seemed to be hitting water after dark in the evening so we all got them by calling around water. Not quite on the water but near it. The elk didn’t seem to care that my calling was possibly the worst ever.

MJB

WKR
Hunt the heard just shoot a cow.
Grandma is usually in the back and can be very wary along with the calf's getting spooky.