Cow Hunting

Any cow hunters out there ???
Considering I never got a Moose before... I will certainly shoot a cow, shoulder mount it, and be happy :)

I've shot several and eaten quite a few more. Not sure I'd shoulder mount one though! Dang, even bull moose are kinda ugly. Euro or nothing for me on a moose.

Most have mine have been late season or winter cow tags. The October cow tags are kinda "fish in a barrel" hunting, as they are herded up for rut and tend not to get spooked as easily.

Not sure what the size comparison is on the those eastern moose, but here in Alaska they run significantly smaller than even a medium bull as far as meat produced. 2/3 or less in size. Much MUCH easier to handle on the ground.

atfrith

FNG
Wrapped up my first moose (cow) hunt opening day at 834. I have the skull caped and in my freezer, one day i'll get around to trying the DIY euro mount and see how it looks. Just finished up processing her last night at 9pm, can not WAIT to try the meat

Attachments

• moose_1.jpg
    moose_1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 37

bkmail

FNG
Had cow permits a few times over the years, easy and delicious meat.
Two were some of the largest bodied moose aged at 10 and 11 years old.
Love getting drawn for a cow permit.
Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
I've taken several cows over the years, and they are really good eating. I will take one this year if the situation presents itself. The GMU that I hunt allows residents to take two moose...only one can be a bull.

OXN939

WKR
Wrapped up my first moose (cow) hunt opening day at 834. I have the skull caped and in my freezer, one day i'll get around to trying the DIY euro mount and see how it looks. Just finished up processing her last night at 9pm, can not WAIT to try the meat

Please keep us updates about how the quality of the meat is! If I were a betting man, I'd bet on "fantastic." Are cow moose tags OTC for Alaska residents?

AKDoc

WKR
Cow permits are drawing permits (not over the counter) for Alaska residents in pretty much all of the state with few exceptions. The unit I hunt is one of those few (perhaps only) exceptions.

IrishnId

WKR
My cow tag for Idaho starts the 15th. Took my bull almost 18 years ago and cant wait to eat that sweet, sweet meat again!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

VernAK

WKR
I'd certainly not pay for a mount........maybe a tanned hide depending on difficulty of getting it out of the bush.

The true trophy quality is in the freezer.